Turf approved for all 3 Tazewell County Schools.

Real Sasquatch

8 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I would imagine that they would have to tear down the fence between the 2 fields to make room for an eventual grand-stand on the school side of the field and have enough room for visitors stands. If that happens, it is a good indication that they are at least considering a stadium there in the future.  To put in new turf exactly where the practice field is now, may not leave sufficient room for a grandstand / press box, appropriate lighting, etc... An aluminum grand-stand similar to what they have at Christiansburg would be awesome.  I would also think that they would keep what is left of the other field (most of it should be left) for practice areas for the band / soccer / little league, etc...  I think the best option for parking would be in the two large grassy areas in front of the school, as Gridiron mentioned,  if and when a stadium were to ever be built.

Better question is why would Graham get approved for turf if they don't have their own stadium? I mean correct me if i'm wrong in my assessment here but that would mean they would have to consider building a new stadium? No way they approve turf and use it just as a practice field, but then again the football team wouldn't be the only one who would be using it (little league, soccer, track meets, band, etc..)  We all know Graham is overdue for their own stadium. 

1 hour ago, Graham32 said:

Better question is why would Graham get approved for turf if they don't have their own stadium? I mean correct me if i'm wrong in my assessment here but that would mean they would have to consider building a new stadium? No way they approve turf and use it just as a practice field, but then again the football team wouldn't be the only one who would be using it (little league, soccer, track meets, band, etc..)  We all know Graham is overdue for their own stadium. 

That was my original question. Why Turf a practice field?

1 minute ago, CPF said:

Winter/spring

Not trying to dispute your information but, if this was just approved earlier in the week, it likely hasn't begun the design process yet. Which means it won't be designed and through the regulatory permitting process in time for construction to begin this winter or spring. 

13 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I would imagine that they would have to tear down the fence between the 2 fields to make room for an eventual grand-stand on the school side of the field and have enough room for visitors stands. If that happens, it is a good indication that they are at least considering a stadium there in the future.  To put in new turf exactly where the practice field is now, may not leave sufficient room for a grandstand / press box, appropriate lighting, etc... An aluminum grand-stand similar to what they have at Christiansburg would be awesome.  I would also think that they would keep what is left of the other field (most of it should be left) for practice areas for the band / soccer / little league, etc...  I think the best option for parking would be in the two large grassy areas in front of the school, as Gridiron mentioned,  if and when a stadium were to ever be built.

Most of you younger folks do not rember when graham's field had bleachers on the side opposite the school which were overall bigger than Tazewell visitors. They also had a smaller set close to the school.it was used for little league play. Even had a score board and concession stand.

I recall the bleachers from years ago at GHS.  I hung out underneath the bleachers as my older brother played Little League football at that little field.  One might consider removing the baseball fields close by and concentrate little league activities at Graham's recreational park. If GHS discards those baseball fields, there are plentiful square meters for a nice football stadium in that space at the GHS.  A thoughtful bloke may consider orienting the field East to West instead of the current North to South position. 

Tigers 2023 Coming Soon!

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Not trying to dispute your information but, if this was just approved earlier in the week, it likely hasn't begun the design process yet. Which means it won't be designed and through the regulatory permitting process in time for construction to begin this winter or spring. 

Graham design is finished. It's starting in January because the contractor wanted to start then. The contractor is doing all 3 jobs. What you say might be true for tazewell but not for Graham. The Tazewell and Richlands projects came after the Graham money was approved. They just lumped it together.

If Graham is ever going to have their own stadium, then seating needs to be added when the turf field is going in.

I understand that it would cost a pretty penny, but with the amount of donors Graham has, it could be done. We just had a donor contribute to the weight room for upgrades and equipment.

I also heard a rumor, someone fact check me, that another donor took care of the fee to use Mitchell this year. Graham has the money.

I love playing at Mitchell and the amount of history on that field is second to none. But there would be something sweet about driving up to GHS for a home football game.

A 4,000-5,000-seat stadium would be more than plenty. The only time it would be full is vs. Tazewell, RIchlands, Union, and playoff games. Keep the Graham/beaver game at Mitchell.

No disrespect to Tazewell or Richlands, but Graham is without a doubt the most successful football program in the county, they deserve to have a place to call home. 

Planning and designs are complete. Funding has been secured and all three projects will happen. The kickoff dates are correct depending on weather. Richlands and Tazewell are blessed that one is a replacement project and the other is a redesign project. The new field at GHS opens the door for many great things. I personally find no negatives for the proposed projects and if the GHS faithful can execute a little patience, I believe that positive things are on the way.

1 hour ago, NaugistBigsby said:

I recall the bleachers from years ago at GHS.  I hung out underneath the bleachers as my older brother played Little League football at that little field.  One might consider removing the baseball fields close by and concentrate little league activities at Graham's recreational park. If GHS discards those baseball fields, there are plentiful square meters for a nice football stadium in that space at the GHS.  A thoughtful bloke may consider orienting the field East to West instead of the current North to South position. 

Tigers 2023 Coming Soon!

You should attend a game at appomattox. That would change your view of an east-west orientation. 

interesting what capacity will be.  Don't wanna overbuild but also gotta prepare for future and what if scenario of Mitchell.  If Mitchell is out of commission or isn't usable in 20 yrs, can Graham's place host a Graham-Bluefield game.  3500-3750 home and 2,000 away is the sweet spot of about 5500 to 5750.  Got to think about concert hosting and that stuff. 

1 hour ago, bgibb said:

If Graham is ever going to have their own stadium, then seating needs to be added when the turf field is going in.

I understand that it would cost a pretty penny, but with the amount of donors Graham has, it could be done. We just had a donor contribute to the weight room for upgrades and equipment.

I also heard a rumor, someone fact check me, that another donor took care of the fee to use Mitchell this year. Graham has the money.

I love playing at Mitchell and the amount of history on that field is second to none. But there would be something sweet about driving up to GHS for a home football game.

A 4,000-5,000-seat stadium would be more than plenty. The only time it would be full is vs. Tazewell, RIchlands, Union, and playoff games. Keep the Graham/beaver game at Mitchell.

No disrespect to Tazewell or Richlands, but Graham is without a doubt the most successful football program in the county, they deserve to have a place to call home. 

I'm not being a smart*** here but a donor buying a few racks for weights and a donor building a stadium is two different beasts. 

1 hour ago, bgibb said:

Geotech work alone would be in the $250,000-$500,000 range is my guess, but could be more depending on results.....a lot more if things are found to be unfavorable. I was involved in the previous sinkhole remediation work decades ago at Graham High School and nobody wants to see that happen again. If you are going to build any large-sized structures at that site, you better drill and test the heck out of it.

1 hour ago, bgibb said:

4,000 probably good now but what if 2 plants come to Bluefield in next 5 or 10 yrs and employ another 500 or 1000 people.  That brings family members and about 2500 more people to town.  If Palmer is still there then 4,000 may seem tight.  Marshall's Stadium in the 80's was built to 40K and it never expanded or needed to, but they have the ability to double that to 80K for expansion when they built it.

20 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

4,000 probably good now but what if 2 plants come to Bluefield in next 5 or 10 yrs and employ another 500 or 1000 people.  That brings family members and about 2500 more people to town.  If Palmer is still there then 4,000 may seem tight.  Marshall's Stadium in the 80's was built to 40K and it never expanded or needed to, but they have the ability to double that to 80K for expansion when they built it.

Have you ever been to a Graham game that wasn't beaver?  Fans don't show up for them even in the playoffs.  They can be great and we can suck or be so-so and Taz fans still outnumber them.

8 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Have you ever been to a Graham game that wasn't beaver?  Fans don't show up for them even in the playoffs.  They can be great and we can suck or be so-so and Taz fans still outnumber them.

I usually don't miss a home game and we have more people show up than what people say.

I will say that our fans usually don't get into the game unless it is a big one, and if the weather is bad, then yeah we don't have a crowd.

If we had the same size stadium as Tazewell or Richlands, the home side would be close to full if not completely full.

7 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

You’re not wrong.

Every Graham game I’ve went to we have a very good crowd but expecting a 2A school to fill Mitchell every game is pushing it. I’ve only seen bad attendance during bad weather. Graham travels well too and every game I went to away we filled the whole visitor side. 

42 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Stu I've read that on here in past but ain't sure I agree with that all the way.  When Graham came to Raddy, they packed it.  I watched GMen play Richlands 4 years ago and 3/5ths of stands were full.  If one side holds 5,000, that's 3,000 home fans.  Some of it might be Mitchell Stadium.  If a side holds 5,000 and it's only 1/2 full, you still got 2500 people on that side but it looks like a small crowd.  I saw GMEN against teams other than Bluefield about 4 times in last 10 to 12 years.  Their side was always over 1/2 full.