Scrimmages/ Benefit Games 8-18

generallyspeaking

Cliffnotes Synopsis: 

Graham’s defense needs some work but overall pretty stout.

Graham’s offense needs much work but Clements & Hughes and some others are as expected. 

Overall, a decent showing for benefit game against a state runner up. 

58 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

This shows just how good Graham is. I watched 3 JM playoff games last season and their defense was the real deal and they returned most of the players from that team on both sides. Hope to see you bring another title back to SWVA G-Men!

Graham had a much better showing tonight than James Monroe but don’t be fooled, Graham has some things to clean up. O line struggled tonight in my opinion. They’re missing Roberts & Dolin for sure. I think they’ll come along as each game passes. It will help to get Lloyd back but that won’t be until almost regular season is over. 

14 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Graham had a much better showing tonight than James Monroe but don’t be fooled, Graham has some things to clean up. O line struggled tonight in my opinion. They’re missing Roberts & Dolin for sure. I think they’ll come along as each game passes. It will help to get Lloyd back but that won’t be until almost regular season is over. 

Will Jennings be back for the Bluefield game?  

I would like to give a shout-out to the GW concessions. Hotdogs were some of the best I've had at a HS game.

A big thumbs down to the mile long walk to the visitor's bleachers. Geez! I think I had a shorter walk to Dollywood from parking lot F.

Overall, GW looked pretty good. Not as good as last year, but definitely have some talent on that team. With all they graduated, I was expecting the dropoff to be greater.

Not sure how to rate Northside as I have no point of reference, but felt that Union matched up with them very well and our O line, out of the T, dominated.

We also have a stable of running backs. At least 6 got carries tonight, and all looked great.

Weeks 3 and 4 will decide if the Bears are contenders or pretenders this year.

1 hour ago, SWVAgridiron said:

This shows just how good Graham is. I watched 3 JM playoff games last season and their defense was the real deal and they returned most of the players from that team on both sides. Hope to see you bring another title back to SWVA G-Men!

That defense took our QB down more than once. They have some really good players. 

3 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

End 3rd Q:  Honaker 27, Lee 26

Final: John Battle 14, Fort Chiswell 7

Final: Castlewood 18, Twin Valley 6

Final: Rural Retreat 18 Marion 7 

Was disappointed watching the Marion game. The triple option is not a good fit for them. In that offense you need a mobile QB. They would have much better luck running the spread, they at least have some athletes at WR. They will probably beat Chilhowie considering how bad they are, but other then that they might not win another game. Also, I wasn’t too impressed with the D1 commit. I thought he would absolutely dominate against a team like Rural Retreat. Marion is in desperate need of some big time changes, specifically the school administration. 

7 hours ago, Brownies99 said:

Was disappointed watching the Marion game. The triple option is not a good fit for them. In that offense you need a mobile QB. They would have much better luck running the spread, they at least have some athletes at WR. They will probably beat Chilhowie considering how bad they are, but other then that they might not win another game. Also, I wasn’t too impressed with the D1 commit. I thought he would absolutely dominate against a team like Rural Retreat. Marion is in desperate need of some big time changes, specifically the school administration. 

How did Rural Retreat look?  Where they good or Marion just that bad?

9 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

I would like to give a shout-out to the GW concessions. Hotdogs were some of the best I've had at a HS game.

A big thumbs down to the mile long walk to the visitor's bleachers. Geez! I think I had a shorter walk to Dollywood from parking lot F.

Overall, GW looked pretty good. Not as good as last year, but definitely have some talent on that team. With all they graduated, I was expecting the dropoff to be greater.

Not sure how to rate Northside as I have no point of reference, but felt that Union matched up with them very well and our O line, out of the T, dominated.

We also have a stable of running backs. At least 6 got carries tonight, and all looked great.

Lol I'm with you on that walk. That construction is ultimately a wonderful thing for that campus, but for football games this year? Shew....

Also wanted to add, that I had the pleasure of chit chatting with a few Union fans in our little area some of us set up shop to watch the game, and very much enjoyed having you guys in. Very nice folks, lotta laughs, and of course a lot of great football stories shared. I do hope you guys come on back....Especially when that walk is shorter lol

9 hours ago, Brownies99 said:

Marion is in year 2 of a new system that was taken over only a month before the start of last season. While your assessment of the skill players makes sense, they aren’t big enough up front to protect long enough to be successful in the spread in the SWD. Triple is a good offense for a team that’s undersized up front with some decent athletes. The QB doesn’t necessarily have to be a great athlete (although that helps) but needs to be a good leader and good decision maker. Running triple also shortens the game and keeps the score from getting out of hand, allowing a weaker team to stay in games longer. 

Giles vs CBurg

Giles looks better than last year.  We are a better defensively up front.  To play a half with our starters and have Christiansburg top us by 1 touchdown is something I will take.  Our depth is limited and injuries could cripple us like they can any Class 1 school, but the 22 we have on the field are pretty good.  I'm not saying we will, but we have the ability to beat Grayson, Galax, and George Wythe and win the district.  Over the past few years, lets be honest, we really had little to any chance.  We have a very reasonable chance this year.  We are least in the conversation which I will take at this point.  Some of this stuff comes down to simply having good players.  There is size, speed, athleticism, etc.   All that stuff is important, but also important is just having good players.  We have some kids that can play.  I hope we can win the district.  It's not an unreasonable goal or expectation this year. I favor Grayson still, but maybe we can get over the hump.

Graham vs Peterstown

Watched it this morning.  Graham compared to Graham this time last year is not as good, but only slightly not as good.  Defensively, they are equally as good at this early point last year.  Offensively, not as good, but not far off.  Graham has had Cam Allen, then Lester, then Blevins, then Meadows.  Just a foolish run of HS QB's.  The new QB has an arm, but he offers less running threat than the previous 4.  His throwing motion is BETTER than all of the previous four/mechanics.  Can that translate to him being more accurate?  It's dangerous for opponents if it does.  No way to judge a kid who's a new starter for 2 quarters of play. He must improve decision making/throwing into double coverage with time and experience.  He has the potential to be very good.  

Peterstown-ha ha Jamey Monroe.  To give JM a positive (which I don't like doing), they are good up front.  They will play for the WV A state title again in my opinion.  They are slightly better at this point in the early season compared to last year.  I think JM plays for the WV State Title again, but loses again, but in the loss, the margin will be much closer than last year.

Only my opinions

12 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Giles vs CBurg

Giles looks better than last year.  We are a better defensively up front.  To play a half with our starters and have Christiansburg top us by 1 touchdown is something I will take.  Our depth is limited and injuries could cripple us like they can any Class 1 school, but the 22 we have on the field are pretty good.  I'm not saying we will, but we have the ability to beat Grayson, Galax, and George Wythe and win the district.  Over the past few years, lets be honest, we really had little to any chance.  We have a very reasonable chance this year.  We are least in the conversation which I will take at this point.  Some of this stuff comes down to simply having good players.  There is size, speed, athleticism, etc.   All that stuff is important, but also important is just having good players.  We have some kids that can play.  I hope we can win the district.  It's not an unreasonable goal or expectation this year. I favor Grayson still, but maybe we can get over the hump.

Well said. We won’t face a team as large as Cburg this season. We were well undersized but didn’t back down. After a rough season last year it was good to actually see excitement on the field, sidelines, and stands. 

Today at 1pm, the Red Team (Riverheads) is on NFHS against Fauquier (the school in which former Bluefield Beaver local legendary coach John Chmara coached at after leaving Bluefield).

Other Stupid Facts- Fauquier County is where actor Robert Duvall lives and has his gigantic ranch.

2 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Today at 1pm, the Red Team (Riverheads) is on NFHS against Fauquier (the school in which former Bluefield Beaver local legendary coach John Chmara coached at after leaving Bluefield).

Other Stupid Facts- Fauquier County is where actor Robert Duvall lives and has his gigantic ranch.

Chmara wasn't the only Beaver coach to head up the Fauquier progroam.

AT Howard did as well, for only the 1963 season.

10 hours ago, Brownies99 said:

Marion has not been the same since Carroll left. His teams were fun to watch and the kids seemed to enjoy playing under him. Carroll did like to play smaller schools which brought more success but he did a good job. Marion wasted a lot of talent last year by not running the spread along with a lot of other things in the program. I watched them play several times last year and they never put a player back to return punts, just let the ball roll another 20 yards. Numbers are down and people have been unhappy with the direction of the program. When you say Marion is in desperate need of of some big time changes, I'd be surprised if something doesn't change at the end of this year. 

14 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

I think there are multiple fan entrances, so was probably a shorter way.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=678188607669369&set=a.335972141891019