Tazewell V. Rivershead

bulldog05-CO2017

6 hours ago, FactChecker2022 said:

Have to take into consideration that the POY Cash didn’t play against Tazewell. Feel like, Riverheads would have done the same thing to Ridgeview that Graham did. How many yards did Clements have rushing in that game?

409 yards and 7 td's.

20 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

2 Things.

1.  I may be wrong, but CCC wasn't the state POY in the game against Tazewell that SwvaOG is referring to where Tazewell had success in the air.  I think CCC was a freshmen on that team.

2.  Most important, I disagree 100% with FactChecker on Riverheads doing to RV what Graham did.  That may be true regarding RH's and their ability to run the ball on Ridgeview, but Ridgeview would have caused major damage to Riverheads in the passing game.  I know where SwvaOG is coming from.  I'm not speaking for him, but here is the jest of what I think he's getting at, and I have the same view.

Riverheads hates covering in open space.  They don't like that.  They also for the most part, are Never exposed to that in formerly Class 1.  Does that make em "bad or not good"  Of course not.  Are they still elite?  Absolutely they are, but at the Class 1 level and even at the class 2 level, you don't see many true spread type offenses where teams are going to spread you out and throw the ball and force you to cover their receivers in open space.  I know, "Essex."  Essex if fast and athletic and they go spread SOMETIMES and Riverheads had beat them up bad over the years, but Essex is among the worst coached football teams in Class 1 offensively.  They are like Buckingham County. They have Appomattox level talent and you have a coach who is mediocre to average.  Watch how many screens Essex throws.  It's near zero.  What I'm getting at is, Riverheads against Tazewell in that game a few years ago up there got exposed SOME.  You see the response with them having to cover in space, and Tazewell had some success, and if not for shaky officiating, might have actually won the game.  Against George Wythe, sure, Riverheads hammered them on the ground and GW had no answer and Riverheads got another well deserved title, but even in that game, there were moments when GW exposed them in open space.  GW's OL didn't give the QB, (who is mediocre at best throwing the ball) any time, but if you watch that game, GW had WR's running WIDE OPEN not just all game, but with literally EVERY pass play that GW attempted.

How does all the above effect Riverheads now playing Class 2?  Not much.  Who in Class 2 runs a wide open offense on several sets?  Graham and Ridgeview?  Appomattox does sometimes, but they are still run heavy.  Poquoson?  They don't pass over  4 times per game.  King William?  Not really, mostly run heavy, Central Woodstock?  Run heavy.  Radford is a team that would move the ball on Riverheads with their QB, but Radford would get pummeled on the ground.  It's why I have said this many times, if Riverheads plays Graham, it's not a good matchup.  Why?  Graham has the OL that can give the QB some time unlike Essex or George Wythe.  Graham will screen you and force your linebackers out of the box into open space and spread the field when they want, and Riverheads doesn't like that.  Yes, they are elite.  Yes, they are great, and yes, they have won many well deserved state titles.  Zero questions about that.  But the weak spot if they have one?  Take a look at that defensive backfield for them year after year, and I don't see much athleticism.  They have got away with it in Class 1 and for the most part, will get away with it in Class 2, but in game 15, if both get there, watch the difference speed makes and KNOWING HOW to use speed against their defense if Graham is that team. 

For a minute you guys had me thinking I was talking about a different game. But I went back and looked and last year’s final between Ridgeview and Graham was Graham 56 Ridgeview 35. As I said earlier, with a healthy Cook-Cash there is no reason to believe Riverheads wouldn’t do the same thing to Ridgeview if Ridgeview shows up with the same defense they brought to Mitchell Stadium. Not disagreeing that Ridgeview might throw for 5 touchdowns in the game. But predicting Riverheads final score against that Ridgeview defense is pretty easy, number of offensive possessions x 7. 

3 hours ago, FactChecker2022 said:

For a minute you guys had me thinking I was talking about a different game. But I went back and looked and last year’s final between Ridgeview and Graham was Graham 56 Ridgeview 35. As I said earlier, with a healthy Cook-Cash there is no reason to believe Riverheads wouldn’t do the same thing to Ridgeview if Ridgeview shows up with the same defense they brought to Mitchell Stadium. Not disagreeing that Ridgeview might throw for 5 touchdowns in the game. But predicting Riverheads final score against that Ridgeview defense is pretty easy, number of offensive possessions x 7. 

Lets see how tonight's games end up ? We may have a different outlook on the season . New kids , new season , and some new coaches . should be fun !

Central Woodstock is not as good as last year imo. Sure, it's early and the team I saw last year was late in season, but they are not as good up front as last year imo. Said this earlier, Christiansburg, Staunton, and maybe....maybe Stuart's Draft will all be better than Central and is Central is the 3rd to 4th best team on Riverheads schedule this year. 

5 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Maybe Tazewell can mirror Central Woodstock’s game plan to stop CCC. Man, that was some smash mouth grind it out football. Tazewell needs to do that to have a chance. If Taylor is out though, that’s a big loss for the game.

Tazewell has to shore up the Bigs up front. Many, many times in that game, you see CCC get the ball and he's just overwhelmed by 2 defensive lineman in the backfield. I watches Lopez in that game. Riverheads could not block him. The Lopez kid from Central is a damn freak. 

16 hours ago, bulldog05-CO2017 said:

Officially a week away. Heard Taylor is out the first three games. Any word on that?

He is out first three games. Tazewell has a few to fill in, can’t totally replace him but they have the opportunity.

14 minutes ago, Red Rabbit said:

Riverheads is a 7--3 team !   At Best !

8-2.  Loss coming to Christiansburg.  Close game/battle with Stuarts Draft, a probable win over Staunton.  

50-50 to win Region B against Central/Draft.  50-50 to win the game over King William/Poquoson.  All in all, a good chance Riverheads can make it back to title game.  I think Riverheads would have a tough time with an Appo or Graham because your secondary is absolutely going to be forced to defend athletes in space, and those 2 aren't Essex.  They are well coached.  They know how to get their athletes in space and force your secondary to cover.  A King William matchup is a worse matchup for Riverheads than Poquoson is.  

Only my opinions.  

If I'm Coach Harris, I'm practicing this offense all week long.  Empty backfield, 5 wide, QB in shot gun and my snap count would be, "we are throwing the football on two, we are throwing the football on two, set, hut."  If I'm Tazewell, I'm trying one series. one time to run it effectively and have a short fuse (like 3-5 plays) to give that up and spread them out and throw the ball with Creasy ever single play.  Can Tazewell's OL give Creasy enough time?  Hard to say.  P.S.  I'm not Coach Harris, nor am I a Coach and he knows his team and their capabilities more than me or any other armchair fan.  I'm totally looking at this from afar as a fan.  I do know this one fact though......Riverheads No Likey the Passey.  In the secondary, Tazewell is Much more athletic than Riverheads is.  

In the Central game with RH, as usual per Central's style, they didn't try to throw it much.  They don't like to put it in the air.  In that last drive by Central in the final two minutes that went about 90 yds to get the win, the two biggest plays on the drive that accounted for about 50 yds?  Two passes against Riverheads.

6 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

If I'm Coach Harris, I'm practicing this offense all week long.  Empty backfield, 5 wide, QB in shot gun and my snap count would be, "we are throwing the football on two, we are throwing the football on two, set, hut."  If I'm Tazewell, I'm trying one series. one time to run it effectively and have a short fuse (like 3-5 plays) to give that up and spread them out and throw the ball with Creasy ever single play.  Can Tazewell's OL give Creasy enough time?  Hard to say.  P.S.  I'm not Coach Harris, nor am I a Coach and he knows his team and their capabilities more than me or any other armchair fan.  I'm totally looking at this from afar as a fan.  I do know this one fact though......Riverheads No Likey the Passey.  In the secondary, Tazewell is Much more athletic than Riverheads is.  

In the Central game with RH, as usual per Central's style, they didn't try to throw it much.  They don't like to put it in the air.  In that last drive by Central in the final two minutes that went about 90 yds to get the win, the two biggest plays on the drive that accounted for about 50 yds?  Two passes against Riverheads.

According to one Riverheads fan on that other site, officials gave Central the game. No call on one of the passes where Riverheads defenders helmet almost got ripped off.  😂😂😂 Whining is such a bad look! Coach Yew needs to send some cheese to Staunton this week. 

26 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

According to one Riverheads fan on that other site, officials gave Central the game. No call on one of the passes where Riverheads defenders helmet almost got ripped off.  😂😂😂 Whining is such a bad look! Coach Yew needs to send some cheese to Staunton this week. 

Watching it on NFHS, that game was about dead even.  Heavy run and great defense.  Riverheads didn't dominate the game only for a "miracle" to happen late in the game.  It was a battle from start to finish.  If they play again come playoff time, and it's likely or a good chance they will, Riverheads can certainly win, but so can Central.  In that last drive, Central caugh Riverheads with that throwback screen.  If you remember, Central caught Graham with the exact same screen in the first quarter.  The Sawyers kid for Graham closed quicly and kept a 20 yd gain from being what should have been a 50 yd gain.  They did the exact same play on Riverheads on that last drive.

7 minutes ago, Bulldogs52 said:

Just a few days away!

I’m ready for it. I look forward to high school football every year. It sucks cause I’m gonna only get to go to a few this year, but I always rewatch the games and listen to them. I think their main focus should be shutting down triple C. Does riverheads got a QB that can throw the ball around? If not, load the box, and even if he bust out a pass, I think we have the right secondary to cover it. I’m not sure, I honestly have mixed thoughts on how this game is gonna turn out. I think it can be close if the dogs come out on all cylinders to start off and shut down triple C. But we will see Saturday. Go dawgs!

Really hope I am proven wrong but I see Riverheads being fired up and running like the well oiled machine that they can be after the loss last week.  Tazewell will be a match but the jitters/rust of the first game plus having a week delay in starting will allow for mistakes to be made and you can't make mistakes against this team.  If they can play like they are in regular rhythm, I really see it going either way.