Richlands @ Union

UnionGuy2017

16 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

Was hoping for alot of power points from SH game but of course they have a down year when we play them.  Even down they’re probably a couple TDS favorite over us.

Science Hill just went to defending 4A State Champion Anderson County and beat them and play Maryville the week after Union, this game will be important to Science Hill and after they get over the "culture shock" they will play well and Stacy Carter is a great coach! Tennessee high school football in all about wins and losses come playoff time! 

I know it’s not always the best offense, but I sure love watching them operate out of the T when they have multiple capable backs. It reminds me of simpler times. It never failed that 1 or 2 unexpected passes and completions would lead to a big score over the years.

1 hour ago, tornado99 said:

I know it’s not always the best offense, but I sure love watching them operate out of the T when they have multiple capable backs. It reminds me of simpler times. It never failed that 1 or 2 unexpected passes and completions would lead to a big score over the years.

You and me both! I really like the T. As long as we have the linemen and backs, it's very hard to stop. We just haven't had the line the last few years, but this year could be different except for one thing...Union is blessed with tons of athletes this year. They are wasted in the T, so you will see the Bears bounce back and forth between multiple formations this year, including the T.

1 hour ago, SXSW said:

Science Hill just went to defending 4A State Champion Anderson County and beat them and play Maryville the week after Union, this game will be important to Science Hill and after they get over the "culture shock" they will play well and Stacy Carter is a great coach! Tennessee high school football in all about wins and losses come playoff time! 

I'm hoping the culture shock lasts most of the game. I think the atmosphere could be worth a score/turnover or 2 in the first half. Over the years, first timers to The Park have been surprised. You can see it in their body language.

I remember in 2015, the Glenvar players were paying more attention to the home crowd than their coaches during warmups. It allowed Union to get up 21-0 before they adjusted. I think that initial shock helped the Bears win that game.

No player at Science Hill has ever played anywhere like Bullitt Park. Science Hill is the 5th biggest high school in Tennessee with around 2400 students and rarely play out of state! I would love to see their faces when they get off the bus and go to that little tiny locker room.

6 minutes ago, SXSW said:

No player at Science Hill has ever played anywhere like Bullitt Park. Science Hill is the 5th biggest high school in Tennessee with around 2400 students and rarely play out of state! I would love to see their faces when they get off the bus and go to that little tiny locker room.

Even if you were there, you still wouldn't get to see it. BSG built a brand new field house/bathrooms/concession stand for the visitor side. Home side has new bathrooms behind the bleachers. What used to be the locker room for both teams and public restrooms has been renovated to serve as the home team field house now, complete with TV.

Just now, Union_Fan said:

Even if you were there, you still wouldn't get to see it. BSG built a brand new field house/bathrooms/concession stand for the visitor side. Home side has new bathrooms behind the bleachers. What used to be the locker room for both teams and public restrooms has been renovated to serve as the home team field house now, complete with TV.

I haven't been to the Park in a few years. I am glad they have improved the place. It is a cozy little stadium! wait till you go to Kermit Tipton Stadium where you sit a good 25-30 yards across a track behind the bench, it feels lie the game is a quarter of a mile away!

Just a conversation starter for tomorrow nights game.. 

Richlands fans, what do you want to see from your team to consider the night a “success?” 

Same to Union fans. What I’d personally like to see is more of a dominate front 7 that we’ve seen all throughout the scrimmages and against Lee, aswell as continuing to put rinkles in the offense. Make defenses prepare for everything. 

2 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Richlands fans, what do you want to see from your team to consider the night a “success?” 

Same to Union fans. What I’d personally like to see is more of a dominate front 7 that we’ve seen all throughout the scrimmages and against Lee, aswell as continuing to put rinkles in the offense. Make defenses prepare for everything. 

What we see tomorrow night will probably mirror next week as far as offensive formation. So, I want to see our front 4 contain the run while getting pressure on the QB. And for our DBs to play tight on the pass and get some picks.

On offense, I hope we actually run the T some because I think it will come in handy against SH. It seems like TN teams run some variation of a spread offense even if they are run heavy. I don't think SH will initially be prepared for the T. Might give us an advantage early. Also, if we can get 3 yards a carry, we can wear them down and shorten the game. Keep their athletes off the field.

1 minute ago, Union_Fan said:

What we see tomorrow night will probably mirror next week as far as offensive formation. So, I want to see our front 4 contain the run while getting pressure on the QB. And for our DBs to play tight on the pass and get some picks.

On offense, I hope we actually run the T some because I think it will come in handy against SH. It seems like TN teams run some variation of a spread offense even if they are run heavy. I don't think SH will initially be prepared for the T. Might give us an advantage early. Also, if we can get 3 yards a carry, we can wear them down and shorten the game. Keep their athletes off the field.

I think you may be surprised.  A few years ago SH came out running double tight T vs Elizabethton in the first game of the season.  I cant remember if Carter was running the Turner version of the T or the Sarge Reed version but nonetheless they seemed very familiar with it.

5 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

I think you may be surprised.  A few years ago SH came out running double tight T vs Elizabethton in the first game of the season.  I cant remember if Carter was running the Turner version of the T or the Sarge Reed version but nonetheless they seemed very familiar with it.

Interesting. That is a surprise! I know that Union has had it's best luck out of the T against Betsy in all these scrimmages. I talked to a Union coach last year, and they were talking about how few TN teams could defend it because they never see it.

Makes next week even more anticipated!

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

Do not think a Stacy Carter coached team will  be unprepared for anything that can occur. The man routinely reviews defending the Emory and Henry spread during walk through's. If you know about the E&H spread, what Hardee's do you go to every morning for biscuits with the boys?

On 8/30/2023 at 10:57 AM, FBDevotee said:

So far, I'm still sticking to my 8-4 season prediction for the Bears. The future looks very bright with a great sophomore and freshman class; but I think they're probably a year or two away from regional or state title contention.

With that stated, I do think it will be a very exciting and entertaining year for Union football fans! I saw a team roster that had Keith Chandler listed as 5'10" 230 lbs. That's a big kid for running back; but he has surprising speed. When you pair him with two other linebackers both experienced and listed as 200 pounds plus, that could easily end up being the main strength of the team - instead of the talented receiving corp. Also the three Anderson brothers played really well against Lee High.

Weaknesses are obviously overall youth, inexperienced offensive line, and kicking/special teams. A formidable M7 schedule with Science Hill and away games at Graham and Abingdon makes me believe 8-4 is about right.   

19 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Agree with Duke. Lots of baggage on the sidelines.

I know that, overall, the coaching staff and on field performance has been very consistent since 2011.

There are definitely some head scratching moments on the field, whether it be play calling or the need to call a timeout on a punt.

One thing that stands out is time management. Players have wrist bands so they can signal plays in, but time after time, we've seen the QB run to the sideline to get a play when there's 58 seconds before halftime and 40 yards to go.

Don't think that's worth firing anyone over, but very confusing to say the least.

You could be a spread team that spreads the defense out but has the QB run to the sideline and get the play and run back to a huddle every play.  🤦🏻

4 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

You could be a spread team that spreads the defense out but has the QB run to the sideline and get the play and run back to a huddle every play.  🤦🏻

Exactly.  Completely giving up the advantage of tempo and pace and allowing the defense to rest.  

2 hours ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

A win….otherwise, growth in the form of not being pushed around all night or intimidated. If beaten by better athletes, that’s understandable. Being pushed around is demoralizing.

Richlands is a very young team. I believe there is some good talent in the sophomore class in particular. If this young group improves throughout the season and sticks together, physical maturity and being battle-tested will pay future dividends. 

8 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Now that they have TV that should help with their recruiting efforts. Now all you need is to get the NIL fund up and running.  

11 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

Now that they have TV that should help with their recruiting efforts. Now all you need is to get the NIL fund up and running.  

Didn't help recruit O'Quinn. Maybe next year, and we'll throw in a sponsorship from the Otis Campbell Society. 😉

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/adbappalachian/otis-campbell-society-tells-its-story-t5901.html

14 hours ago, SXSW said:

Someone told me they lost last week so that’s good to know 

3 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Didn't help recruit O'Quinn. Maybe next year, and we'll throw in a sponsorship from the Otis Campbell Society. 😉

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/adbappalachian/otis-campbell-society-tells-its-story-t5901.html

He’d look good throwing to Huff Bostic and Bunch next season with Chandler running and blocking for him.  That would be one of the best teams Unions had 

18 hours ago, tornado99 said:

A win….otherwise, growth in the form of not being pushed around all night or intimidated. If beaten by better athletes, that’s understandable. Being pushed around is demoralizing.

Richlands is a very young team. I believe there is some good talent in the sophomore class in particular. If this young group improves throughout the season and sticks together, physical maturity and being battle-tested will pay future dividends. 

A win would be great, but as for me I'd ike to see more available players get in the game for experience.  So everyone says Richlands is in a rebuilding year, how do you rebuild? Normally, you rebuild by getting inexperienced players into action on the filed, but alas it's not normal for Richlands to rebuilt, so the inexperienced players get the experience of sitting on the bench when only a select few (less than 15 total) players get in the game.  Rebuilding year? Yeah, got to learn how to properly sit on the bench and watch the game for the best experience.  Jut my opinion.  We have to have more than 13 to 15 players that are capably of actually getting on the field during games or we are in big trouble not only this year, but for years to come.

21 hours ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

A lot of folks talk about how young their teams are, forgetting that Union is starting a slew of sophs,so continued maturity first is what I want to see from the Bears, and secondly, for GOD'S SAKE NO MORE STUPID 15-YARD PENALTIES!!!! Can we at least get through ONE YEAR without leading the region in that? Sorry-had to CAPS it for emphasis:)