The Backyard Brawl Richlands @ Tazewell

Iceman2553

I’m hopeful, if Richlands can score on the initial drive while eating the clock at the same time, they hold on for a big win and the catalyst for a successful season and future. A confidence boost can be the difference between placing 2nd and 5th or 6th as the preseason projections ranged in the SWD. I’m hopeful they hold on, although the weather and chance to regroup will benefit the Bulldogs.

1 hour ago, Tru Blue72 said:

Strange things always happens with this game, but the second half being played on a different night just about takes the cake.  Richlands only needs to match Tazewell score for score to come out on top.  Tazewell needs to go to the air in a hurry up offense, but they have to stop Richlands from running clock.  So how does everyone see this turning out?

I agree with you on both sides of this. Tazewell needs to do what they done their last drive of the first half. Pass with hurry up, and fast tempo. Richlands really surprised me in this game, but they always play their best against tazewell as I guess that comes with rivalry. Wish a good injury free game for both teams. 

7 minutes ago, bulldog05-CO2017 said:

I agree with you on both sides of this. Tazewell needs to do what they done their last drive of the first half. Pass with hurry up, and fast tempo. Richlands really surprised me in this game, but they always play their best against tazewell as I guess that comes with rivalry. Wish a good injury free game for both teams. 

Throw. The. Ball. Richlands cant cover as well but they can send pressure. If Creasy gets time, it will be dimes dropped everywhere. Games comes down to who is most focused for 24 minutes

I hope the Blues can continue the momentum they had in the first half Friday night.  

I believe the Blues get the ball first in the second half.  If they can score on the drive, it will be a confidence booster for them.  

Only game I will not be rooting for the Dawgs.  

What I saw Friday night Tazewell was getting pushed all over the field. Richlands line play was far superior to Tazewell's. If this happens tonight turn out the lights the party is over for the bulldogs.

Helluva game from start to finish. Either team gave up. 

17 minutes ago, V-Cats said:

Who else had "20 point comeback in 8 minutes" on their Backyard Brawl Bingo Card?

I had a feeling they’d come back, but during the third quarter I was worried. They came out in the 4th and was on another level!

Tazewell made defensive adjustments and just kept digging. I think the embarrassment from Friday night smacked them in the face and woke them up. As stated earlier, maintaining composure in a rivalry like this pays off.

A pair of unsportsmanlike conduct calls on Richlands that will haunt them for awhile. Completely avoidable and unnecessary. If you do not get those penalties, you turn the Bulldogs over on downs two times in the fourth and pull this one out. If you are from Richlands, that was a tough one to listen to them gift wrap and give to Tazewell 105 days before Christmas. 

7 hours ago, rvtne216 said:

A pair of unsportsmanlike conduct calls on Richlands that will haunt them for awhile. Completely avoidable and unnecessary. If you do not get those penalties, you turn the Bulldogs over on downs two times in the fourth and pull this one out. If you are from Richlands, that was a tough one to listen to them gift wrap and give to Tazewell 105 days before Christmas. 

Discipline is a coaching problem, no adjustments is a coaching problem, bad play calling is a coaching problem, giving up 40 yards in penalties on one drive is a coaching problem, enough said.  Hats off to Tazewell, they did what they had to do to win the game.  Hats off to the Richlands players who proved they can play with anyone.  Coaches statement on the radio after the game, "That's the way the cookie crumbles", shows it all.  I'll always be a Blues fan, and don't like to critize anyone, but reality is, "Houston we have a problem".

Folks, I have the pleasure of being around a few athletics programs due to my profession and I see an alarming trend going on locally in the aspect of discipline. 

Programs that used to have depth and stability no longer have that and are grasping at straws in regard to talent. 

If you hold some of these young men accountable, they will leave the program and never return. Sometimes that will snowball to other players leaving, "Come on man, we don't have to put up with this."

With the lack of numbers, I see coaches afraid to be tough to make players better men because they are scared that their numbers will dwindle or at worst their parents will go and cry to an administrator who will back the parent regardless of the situation just to please. 

It's not what it used to be and let's not be too fast to blame the kids because a lot of this starts at home.

Just my observation...

59 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

Folks, I'm have the pleasure of being around a few athletics programs due to my profession and I see an alarming trend going on locally in the aspect of discipline. If you hold some of these young men accountable, they will leave the program and never return and sometimes that will snowball to other players leaving

Spot on.  It's a microcosm of our world really.  We lack discipline in the workplace, in the home between partners, outside the home interacting with the public, in corporations, in government, in schools, etc. I know we are just talking about HS football, but the problem is greater than that.  Hate to be a Debby Downer, but I'm also a realist.  It's our society as a whole.  The problems here in SWVA with our little programs?  I can bet you it's going on in Idaho, Iowa, California, Michigan, etc.  Take it further, lack of discipline among the staff in the High Schools, etc.  It's not every person in the USA displaying lack of discipline, morality issues, character issues.  But, there is a  large enough amount of people having these issues, and that it is making a difference in nearly every institution in the United States.  And to be more Debbie Downer, it's only get to get worse and that is a whole other philosophical-religious debate that isn't appropriate for this forum.

2 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

Folks, I'm have the pleasure of being around a few athletics programs due to my profession and I see an alarming trend going on locally in the aspect of discipline. 

Programs that used to have depth and stability no longer have that and are grasping at straws in regards to talent. 

If you hold some of these young men accountable, they will leave the program and never return and sometimes that will snowball to other players leaving, "Come on man, we don't have to put up with this."

With the lack of numbers, I see coaches afraid to be tough to make players better men because they are scared that their numbers will dwindle or at worst their parents will go and cry to administrator who will back the parent regardless of the situation just to please. 

It's not what it used to be and lets not be too fast to blame the kids because a lot of this starts at home.

Just my observation...

I have noticed this, as well. The pressure to win and being judged solely by wins and losses has become more important than teaching valuable lessons and becoming productive citizens. That said, disciplinarian shouldn’t be the primary concern of the coach and the first place the players receive those lessons. That should be the domain of the parents, in which we have fallen short for a variety of factors. Sports should reinforce those lessons, not be the source of them. 

4 hours ago, Tiger 2000 said:

maybe this one will stop,  the whole narrative of " he is doing a great job coaching" " he is doing the best he can with the kids he has to work with " etc, that has been put all over this site for 2 years.   

Dude, are you really insinuating that Richlands is stacked with grade A talent and the coaching staff is to blame for the decline of the football program? I want some of what you’re smoking……

18 hours ago, bleedblue89 said:

Dude, are you really insinuating that Richlands is stacked with grade A talent and the coaching staff is to blame for the decline of the football program? I want some of what you’re smoking……

No. Not at all. Coaches are defined by their records in 1 or 2 score games. Blowouts are typically talent based and is not a reflection on coaching.  The way they manage ,the clock / timeouts/ unnecessary penalties  , turnout of players in the program, retaining players, closing out games in which you are competitive, ( all things that coach mance was able to do), however are coach related. No one is suggesting the talent pool is great or even close to 6 years ago. But the free passes shouldn't be given out each week. . Go back during this 3 1/2 year run and you make the call just based on these areas. Its hard to see this board bash travis turner ( whose teams are usually very consistent ) but this coach gets a free pass due to talent levels. I wasn"t calling for his job ,   just a fair assessment.  Talent is down , and so is the leadership.