Week 9 Scores/Updates

Queue

7 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Not exactly, but I think I heard the radio announcers say that Giles had over 400 total yards and the 2 teams had over 1000 yards between them 

Correct. I posted the official numbers above. Wish Giles could’ve capitalized on some of those redzone opportunities. May have been able to make it a shootout 

8 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Also to the Tazewell High Band. I think that’s one of if not the best high school bands I’ve heard. 

In today's age bands seem to be declining.  Marion, one of the biggest 2A schools looked like they only had about 15 band members last week.  Proud to see ours back up to the numbers it use to be.  Not bragging but I think they are probably one of the better bands in all of SWVA from what I've seen over past few years.

8 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Correct. I posted the official numbers above. Wish Giles could’ve capitalized on some of those redzone opportunities. May have been able to make it a shootout 

But take it as it is because quite a few of those rush yards came on the end of the game on 2nd team.  I can't say exact numbers but I'd venture to say about 150 yds rushing on the backups.  Still good numbers by them and their opening fumbles didn't help their case at all.

20 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

In today's age bands seem to be declining.  Marion, one of the biggest 2A schools looked like they only had about 15 band members last week.  Proud to see ours back up to the numbers it use to be.  Not bragging but I think they are probably one of the better bands in all of SWVA from what I've seen over past few years.

Most high school bands are just now recovering from the Covid shutdown. Band was basically eliminated while everything was virtual. Social distancing after virtual ended and students went back to school meant that space for band students was severely limited, thus keeping bands from recovering until very recently. 

Galax had 16 band members in 2021. They have 43 in 2023. 

Edit to add: Band competitions have also become something of a nuisance. They are trying to cram too much into one day events. John Battle is having a band competition and assessment in the same day tomorrow. Assessment in the morning and competition in the afternoon. My daughters call-time for tomorrow morning is 6am. Assessment performance at 10:15am. Competition performance at 3:15pm. Awards at 9pm. We will be lucky to get home before midnight. An 18-hour day is ridiculous for anyone but this is what band is now. Let's save money on travel and force these kids to cram three days worth of stuff into as short a window of time as humanly possible. Couple that with a football game tonight, our weekend is shot all to hell.

13 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Most high school bands are just now recovering from the Covid shutdown. Band was basically eliminated while everything was virtual. Social distancing after virtual ended and students went back to school meant that space for band students was severely limited, thus keeping bands from recovering until very recently. 

Edit to add: Band competitions have also become something of a nuisance. They are trying to cram too much into one day events. John Battle is having a band competition and assessment in the same day tomorrow. Assessment in the morning and competition in the afternoon. My daughters call-time for tomorrow morning is 6am. Assessment performance at 10:15am. Competition performance at 3:15pm. Awards at 9pm. We will be lucky to get home before midnight. An 18-hour day is ridiculous for anyone but this is what band is now. Let's save money on travel and force these kids to cram three days worth of stuff into as short a window of time as humanly possible. Couple that with a football game tonight, our weekend is shot all to hell.

I can't speak for all schools but ours was way down before covid and got to pitiful numbers in the 10's at one point it was questionable if we had more football players or band members and both were very low numbers.  The bad directors had a lot to do with that but now that we have who we do, there is stability and that number grows.

Seems like everything tries to do that.  I know I hear some of the same complaints from others in the area plus parents of some of our kids as well.

22 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

I can't speak for all schools but ours was way down before covid and got to pitiful numbers in the 10's at one point it was questionable if we had more football players or band members and both were very low numbers.  The bad directors had a lot to do with that but now that we have who we do, there is stability and that number grows.

Seems like everything tries to do that.  I know I hear some of the same complaints from others in the area plus parents of some of our kids as well.

A good band director cures a lot of issues, especially in terms of numbers. A bad band director can kill a band in a hurry. Bad, inconsistent leadership within a school system can lead to low numbers as well. Let me elaborate. 

Band is a lot more of a time commitment than most people inside a school system are aware of and most can't be bothered to find out what our band kids are sacrificing. We constantly have to fight the school system for resources to feed these kids. Feeding 43 kids tomorrow is going to be a nightmare. Especially when a third of the kids will show up with absolutely nothing. They have to be at the school no later than 6am and won't be getting home until after midnight. It's going to be a long day for the parents as well as the kids. 

Galax doesn't feed our band kids....ever! Not before or after football games. Not for band competitions. Not for band camp in the summer. Not for concert assessment. Not for district tryouts. Not for regional tryouts. Not for state auditions. Us parents have to put messages out on social media begging for handouts from the community. Thankfully, a few local churches and community members step up and help where the school system falls woefully short. But even then, it's never enough and the parents that are involved end up paying out-of-pocket for kids that aren't ours. I'm not complaining. It just is what it is. I'm happy to do it because my kids loved band. My wife was in the Marching Virginians at VT as was her brothers, three nieces and two nephews. Band is a very big part of who my family is.

I know I can be very cynical about these things but the school system always ensures the football players are well fed!!! These band kids see they are "less-than" every day and it is something the director has to overcome while the football players and coaches are getting fat and happy just a few feet down the hallway in the cafeteria. Often rubbing it in the band kids face that they have food and the band kids don't. 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

My brother is a freshman at Richlands. So his schedule is:

Band room opens at 6:15am tomorrow morning. Practice at 6:45am. Leave for Battle at 8:15am. Assessment performance at 11:30am. Competition performance at 7pm. Awards at 9pm. Arrive back at RHS at midnight. 

That's SO much on these kids. I can remember my senior year, we performed at 2 competitions in Charlottesville on the same day. That was a LONG trip. Left for Hooville at something like 4:30am and got back to RHS around 3am on Sunday morning. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

My brother is a freshman at Richlands. So his next 36 hours look like:

Game at Galax at 7pm. Leaving the school around 3:45pm I believe. Won't get home until around midnight. 
Band room opens at 6:15am tomorrow morning. Practice at 6:45am. Leave for Battle at 8:15am. Assessment performance at 11:30am. Competition performance at 7pm. Awards at 9pm. Arrive back at RHS at midnight. 

That's SO much on these kids. I can remember my senior year, we performed at 2 competitions in Charlottesville on the same day. That was a LONG trip. Left for Hooville at something like 4:30am and got back to RHS around 3am on Sunday morning. 

It's a lot but these kids signed up for it knowing what the commitment consisted of. Parents often don't know what that commitment consists of and have a difficult time understanding once they do find out in the middle of competition season. I just wish the school and the majority of parents were more involved. It's a lot for the same 7 or 8 parents to be the end-all-be-all for 43 band kids every week. 

8 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

My brother is a freshman at Richlands. So his schedule is:

That sounds brutal!

Rye Cove is in the middle of a band rebuild. COVID was bad enough by itself but our long term band instructor had already filed for retirement at the end of the 19-20 school year which was much deserved. With the change in instructors and virtual classes it made it very easy for kids to step away from. RC now has another new band instructor this year as the one who replaced Mrs King moved to a new job in the school system after starting a family. Mr Bailey looks to be doing a great job in his first fall with only about 10 kids in the band. In 2019 I think we had 35-40.  He had been able to get a lot of younger kids started which hopefully will pay dividends into the future for the program. 

Our band boosters have done a good job of keeping the kids hydrated and fed during summer camps and competitions. I believe they have been a part of team meals on game days just as cheerleaders have been as well lately at RC. 

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

My god that’s what I have to look forward to? I have family doing the band now and I’ve never been around it at all. We have McChesney tmrw, and since they hosting they don’t play til the end, when will I be able to watch UT/Bama? I’ve bout given up on Penn State at Ohio State, I know I’ll miss it. 

11 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

My god that’s what I have to look forward to? I have family doing the band now and I’ve never been around it at all. We have McChesney tmrw, and since they hosting they don’t play til the end, when will I be able to watch UT/Bama? I’ve bout given up on Penn State at Ohio State, I know I’ll miss it. 

BigW, you still into UFC? I think I read/recall where you watched UFC some in the past. Saturday at 2pm is the main event/prelims are at 10am from Abu Dhabi. Two monster sized matchups. 

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

Our band boosters have done a good job of keeping the kids hydrated and fed during summer camps and competitions. I believe they have been a part of team meals on game days just as cheerleaders have been as well lately at RC. 

My wife is Band Booster president. We do the best we can but Covid and a lack of parental support/help leaves the responsibility of fundraising on the shoulders of the same 8 or so people. And it’s those same few people who take care of everything from fundraising to feeding kids to patching 20 year old uniforms to fixing dilapidated instruments, etc. 

We used to have bingo a few times a year and it was a wonderful fundraiser. Covid shut that down for 2 years in 2020 and 2021. The state denied our application for a permit to host bingo in 2022 and 2023 because we didn’t meet the new requirement guidelines. That’s should be taken care of now. This spring will be the first time since 2019 we will be able to host bingo. 

We’ve done a few car washes and some other things but that money disappears quickly. And with so few people willing to help, we’re limited in what we can do to fundraise. 

I think we had 5 people in attendance at our last band booster meeting last Thursday and my wife and I were 2 of them. 

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I have watched the 3rd Saturday in October from the bleachers in Bullitt Park before.  It’s a long day if you are there for everything.  

6 hours ago, stu_bean said:

But take it as it is because quite a few of those rush yards came on the end of the game on 2nd team.  I can't say exact numbers but I'd venture to say about 150 yds rushing on the backups.  Still good numbers by them and their opening fumbles didn't help their case at all.

Not exactly a fair assessment because the yards you speak of against Tazewell backups were from the Giles backups as well. I didn't see a single series of Giles starters against a backup defense. 

The rush yds and play of the backups almost didn't happen. Tazewell went up 28 pts twice as they score TDs that puts them up 34, if they make an extra point either of those 2 tries, then that would have put em up 35 and the clock would have then been continous/rolling and backups for both schools may have had time for 1 series each. Dogs made some extra points, but they missed the ones when they were up 34 pts.