Possible transfers next year.

Vol Hater

Pendergraft from Lee to another Mtn 7 team close by or Thomas Walker....

O'Quinn from Ridgeview to Pikeville or possibly Union as well.

Any kid from Norton down to Union as well....

Post any other possible transfers if you know of any. Rumor is Pendergraft is leaning to Union hard now......Come on up to the U. 

3 minutes ago, Hokie Bound said:

Why would Pendergraft be leaving? Coach Carroll is a good guy and the kids seem to like him.

I've been told there's a good chance kid is going to be leaving. We shall see you know how Rumors are.....

1 hour ago, Vol Hater said:

Pendergraft from Lee to another Mtn 7 team close by or Thomas Walker....

O'Quinn from Ridgeview to Pikeville or possibly Union as well.

Post any other possible transfers if you know of any. Rumor is Pendergraft is leaning to Union hard now......Come on up to the U. 

Usually the transfer talk doesn't start until after the season is over, but with one more week in the regular season, this is crazy. Recruiting has no offseason.

I've stated my take on this before.  I used to be a "stick it out" hardliner; however, after going through my eldest's high school years/experience, I've change my views substantially.  There is a fine line here, though.  Parents need to understand that there are absolutely coaches/staffs, etc. that are going to be influenced by nepotism, status and favors in determining playing time and positional choices.  There are "hook-ups" and good-ole boy clubs, more so here than any other place I've been.  Not all of them and not even most of them, but damn sure some of them.  Look no further than Union.....the kid couldn't start at QB at a traditionally run-heavy offense at a 2A school but transfers to a 5A school that has modern passing concepts.  Hmmmm.......that's a great move for the kid.

Parents must have a realistic assessment of their child's talent.  This is where we lose most of the parents.  They think their child is D-1 material but have never seen a true D-1 athlete up close.  Parents need to understand the impact of their child's positional choice and evaluate if their physical characteristics are capable of that position choice.  If your kid is 6'3", 210 and runs a 4.8 40, he isn't a next level WR, he is a TE waiting to happen.  Another issue is sometimes your local high school's offensive/defensive philosophy won't allow your child opportunities to shine.  This is a valid concern.  The talented QB or WR that languishes in a Wing-T offense is hurting their ability to make an impact.  I absolutely would relocate my kid if that was the situation.  Another thing is sometimes kids want to transfer to a program that is more committed to improving and winning and player development. The good and competitive kids want to win and be in a winning environment. Can't blame them. 

Now, there are definitely reasons NOT to transfer and not being able to take criticism or compete for starting position are a few of them.  This seems to be what most of the board members assumes are the issues in most cases. I don't disagree; however, there are damn sure valid reasons for kids to relocate.  There are a lot of talented kids that should have had their college degree paid for or, at least, greatly subsidized through football but stayed in detrimental situations.  "But, what about the team?"  Good question, so let's ask some of the coaches that.  Coach, what about the team?  Why did you not start the more talented kid? Most of the time there are good answers; however, sometimes there aren't.  

So, if you would leave your current job for a better opportunity or more money, can you blame a kid for basically doing the same?

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

I've stated my take on this before.  I used to be a "stick it out" hardliner; however, after going through my eldest's high school years/experience, I've change my views substantially.  There is a fine line here, though.  Parents need to understand that there are absolutely coaches/staffs, etc. that are going to be influenced by nepotism, status and favors in determining playing time and positional choices.  There are "hook-ups" and good-ole boy clubs, more so here than any other place I've been.  Not all of them and not even most of them, but damn sure some of them.  Look no further than Union.....the kid couldn't start at QB at a traditionally run-heavy offense at a 2A school but transfers to a 5A school that has modern passing concepts.  Hmmmm.......

Parents must have a realistic assessment of their child's talent.  This is where we lose most of the parents.  They think their child is D-1 material but have never seen a true D-1 athlete up close.  Parents need to understand the impact of their child's positional choice and evaluate if their physical characteristics are capable of that position choice.  If your kid is 6'3", 210 and runs a 4.8 40, he isn't a next level WR, he is a TE waiting to happen.  Another issue is sometimes your local high school's offensive/defensive philosophy won't allow your child opportunities to shine.  This is a valid concern.  The talented QB or WR that languishes in a Wing-T offense is hurting their ability to make an impact.  I absolutely would relocate my kid if that was the situation.  Another thing is sometimes kids want to transfer to a program that is more committed to improving and winning and player development. The good and competitive kids want to win and be in a winning environment. Can't blame them. 

Now, there are definitely reasons NOT to transfer and not being able to take criticism or compete for starting position are a few of them.  This seems to be what most of the board members assumes are the issues in most cases. I don't disagree; however, there are damn sure valid reasons for kids to relocate.  There are a lot of talented kids that should have had their college degree paid for or, at least, greatly subsidized through football but stayed in detrimental situations.  "But, what about the team?"  Good question, so let's ask some of the coaches that.  Coach, what about the team?  Why did you not start the more talented kid? Most of the time there are good answers; however, sometimes there aren't.  

So, if you would leave your current job for a better opportunity or more money, can you blame a kid for basically doing the same?

I couldn't disagree with this post MORE! Dobyns Bennett is 6A! haha

Union people still scratching their heads on that one.

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

Union people still scratching their heads on that one.

I can understand why some do, but they really shouldn't be.  Anderson today is just as good of a passer as Sykes, possibly better and is a lot more dynamic with the ball in his hands.  DB is 6A but DB isnt some top tier football program. They are basically irrelevant in NET if not for their enrollment.

29 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

I can understand why some do, but they really shouldn't be.  Anderson today is just as good of a passer as Sykes, possibly better and is a lot more dynamic with the ball in his hands.  DB is 6A but DB isnt some top tier football program. They are basically irrelevant in NET if not for their enrollment.

How good would they be with Sykes at QB and Anderson playing Slot/RB as well as DB? 

Their defense is very good but Anderson at Safety would take them to another level, but Turner won't play his QB on Defense.

6 hours ago, Vol Hater said:

Idk if there's a player on JIBs team that would start at Union. Their QBis their best player and couldn't get on the field at Union

12 minutes ago, redtiger said:

Idk if there's a player on JIBs team that would start at Union. Their QBis their best player and couldn't get on the field at Union

That’s amazing that JIB has gone so far down.  It wasn’t too long ago that they were the premier team for a few years in the old LPD.

JIB and Richlands fall have been amazing to me.  I’d say Richlands will be back eventually but Norton will be hard pressed . Especially with 2 solid Class 2 programs less than 10 minutes away. 
(I know they aren’t that good this year, but Central should be average to solid each year.)

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

I’ve been screaming for Sykes last two seasons but honestly Anderson is balling this year.  Also coming from a very reliable source Sykes was potentially gonna be the starter this season as long as he played well but transferred.

4 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

I've stated my take on this before.  I used to be a "stick it out" hardliner; however, after going through my eldest's high school years/experience, I've change my views substantially.  There is a fine line here, though.  Parents need to understand that there are absolutely coaches/staffs, etc. that are going to be influenced by nepotism, status and favors in determining playing time and positional choices.  There are "hook-ups" and good-ole boy clubs, more so here than any other place I've been.  Not all of them and not even most of them, but damn sure some of them.  Look no further than Union.....the kid couldn't start at QB at a traditionally run-heavy offense at a 2A school but transfers to a 5A school that has modern passing concepts.  Hmmmm.......that's a great move for the kid.

Excellent post! I couldn't agree more. The "good-ole-boys-club" can send a program in the wrong direction mightily fast. I've seen much lesser qualified candidates get the job over much more qualfied candidates and the program gets stuck in neutral or even reverse for that matter. I've heard several people say its not what you know but who you know. Very true statement!.

3 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

I can't argue with any of that, but most of our thoughts are based on last year. I know that Anderson is killing it this year at QB, but having another athlete like Sykes on the team would have only helped.

In some form or fashion, there had to be room for both of them this year, and there certainly would have been a place for Sykes next year.

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

I can't argue with any of that, but most of our thoughts are based on last year. I know that Anderson is killing it this year at QB, but having another athlete like Sykes on the team would have only helped.

In some form or fashion, there had to be room for both of them this year, and there certainly would have been a place for Sykes next year.

I’m sure Union would have loved to have had Sykes still in the wings. That being said my source said last year Sykes had a bigger arm but wasn’t more accurate than Anderson and Anderson is a lot more dynamic with the ball so it was a no brainer last year. 

32 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

I’m sure Union would have loved to have had Sykes still in the wings. That being said my source said last year Sykes had a bigger arm but wasn’t more accurate than Anderson and Anderson is a lot more dynamic with the ball so it was a no brainer last year. 

Running the ball, Anderson is the clear winner. I'm not sure I would agree with the accuracy statement. Sykes never got good varsity reps last year, but in JV he looked phenomenal. Big arm and very accurate.

9 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

This is a stupid thread imo....calling out kids names...if they transfer so be it...but geez

All it does is stir 💩, imagine being the kid for a moment.  Reading someone's messages on here rating your play and questioning your commitment. Then imagine the rest of your team catching wind of this crap. Detrimental to a team going into week 10 just before the playoffs no matter who they're about to play.  One of the leaders of your team having doubts, or rumored anyway.  At least wait until the season is over to repeat rumor mill please.  Bad juju, just like talking about next year's team in front of this year's team before the season is over.  Just sayin

14 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Running the ball, Anderson is the clear winner. I'm not sure I would agree with the accuracy statement. Sykes never got good varsity reps last year, but in JV he looked phenomenal. Big arm and very accurate.

Im referring to last year in the preseason practices.