Who has committed and where?

Austin Coe, DE, Marion, signed and committed to Air Force.

Eli Campbell, C, Princeton, signed and committed to Air Force.

Cayden Cook Cash, LB, Riverheads, signed and committed to UVA.

Landen Clark, Athlete (likely safety), Radford, signed and committed to Elon.

Any updates on other kids, Clements? I understand Clements had offers (I think) from Army, Navy, UAB, and Florida A&M. Any updates on the two senior studs from Galax? 

19 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Dominic Collins - WVU

They don't need to wait on him at WVU for special teams. Dude needs to be returning kicks (as in Sep 2024) then worry about his development and all of that at WR, but get dude on the field early. Just crazy explosive. He even made Martinsburg look bad a few times and it didn't matter who Princeton played, he made every opponent look bad at least once.

It's not football related but these kids work hard and deserve to be recognized somewhere. 

Mia Llamas from Galax is starting on the swim team at California Baptist University in Backstroke, Freestyle and IM. Mia was a 6-time VHSL State Champion. Four consecutive 200 Meter Freestyle and two consecutive 100 Meter Backstroke. CBU is a member of the Western Athletic Conference and compete at an elite D1 level with numerous Olympic level performers throughout their lengthy history. She has appeared in every event so far in her freshman year. Her dad was a professional MMA fighter. 

Phoebe Fant from Galax has accepted a partial Rowing scholarship at UVA. She will likely graduate Valedictorian in a few months. Incredibly bright young lady with a future in medicine. Stands over 6 feet tall and is the most impressive, well-rounded athlete I've seen in my time here. She's also the drum major for the Maroon Tide Marching Band and captain of the MACC team. 

5 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Sullivan East just had a kid commit to Colorado for next year.  Somewhat surprising.  Corbin Laisure a TE who will have to add weight.  6-5 218.

I saw that.  I'm not too sure about that choice.  I don't think that was a full-ride (judging by the verbiage)....could be wrong.  If it is a PWO, I don't know if going as PWO for Deion is a good move, especially if some of his other offers are committable full-rides.

I watched his film and couldn't decipher if they see him as TE or DE.  I bet they like that 6'5", 220lb frame that also plays basketball, though. 

Speaking of walk-ons....has anyone heard how the Union DE from last year (Gabe?) that went to UVA is doing or how Brody Jone at VT is doing?

2 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

I saw that.  I'm not too sure about that choice.  I don't think that was a full-ride (judging by the verbiage)....could be wrong.  If it is a PWO, I don't know if going as PWO for Deion is a good move, especially if some of his other offers are committable full-rides.

I watched his film and couldn't decipher if they see him as TE or DE.  I bet they like that 6'5", 220lb frame that also plays basketball, though. 

Speaking of walk-ons....has anyone heard how the Union DE from last year (Gabe?) that went to UVA is doing or how Brody Jone at VT is doing?

He’s class of 2025. Do they offer walk ons to juniors at this stage? 

Interesting that Clements hasn't signed. Is he maybe waiting for a better offer and sign in February, or maybe go the JUCO or prep school route? I'd guess he also has FCS and DII offers as well. 

14 hours ago, JDHoss said:

Interesting that Clements hasn't signed. Is he maybe waiting for a better offer and sign in February, or maybe go the JUCO or prep school route? I'd guess he also has FCS and DII offers as well. 

As far as I know he has UAB, Florida A&M, Army, Navy, LIU, Morehead St, a few D2 offers like Concord and Emory.

14 hours ago, JDHoss said:

Very hard for any High School kid to get a D1 scholarship at any level with all the 6 and 7 year guys that got the extra year from COVID and the transfer portal just letting kids move where ever they want and when ever they want. When can only have 85 guys scholarships and you got guys thats are 26 still playing ball taking up one of those if takes one away from a good high school kid. 

1 hour ago, Jags52 said:

Very hard for any High School kid to get a D1 scholarship at any level with all the 6 and 7 year guys that got the extra year from COVID and the transfer portal just letting kids move where ever they want and when ever they want. When can only have 85 guys scholarships and you got guys thats are 26 still playing ball taking up one of those if takes one away from a good high school kid. 

This.  We went through this.  We heard "We're only taking one high schooler at your position" and "We're heavy in the portal".  There are certain positions that colleges just go to the portal for.  My oldest was behind a 25 year old 2x All Conference kid this past season.  I've been also hearing that D-2 is the new D-1 and kids haven't accepted that yet.  Recruiting has morphed from being all about potential to being all about risk.  There is much less risk in a 21 year old that understands the college environment, has been in a college S&C program for three years and isn't a risk to flunk out or bail after the first semester.  

The portal and still lingering affects of COVID red-shirts have made life hard for the high school kids.  You'd better go where you're wanted.

19 hours ago, BBHoops_18 said:

He’s class of 2025. Do they offer walk ons to juniors at this stage? 

I didn't catch that.  If he is 2025, that's a different story.  I would say that is an offer, not yet committable, contingent upon meeting some requirements.  "If you work on your speed and get down to a 4.8" or "We want to see this or that out of you by next fall" then the offer is committable. 

8 hours ago, Jags52 said:

Yeah, I understand the portal and COVID year, but I was wondering why if he had those offers, he didn't sign? If the FBS offers aren't really committable (I can't imagine the Navy & Army offers not being committable), then he shouldn't hesitate to go with an FCS or DII program and try to work his way up. Mizzuruh's 1st team AA RB came to Mizzuruh from DII Truman State. That was a rags-to-riches story if there ever has been. While Clements may be lacking something or some things that would make most FBS schools hesitate, it'd be a travesty if he didn't go somewhere and get his start. 

On 1/10/2024 at 2:18 PM, sixcat said:

It's not football related but these kids work hard and deserve to be recognized somewhere. 

Mia Llamas from Galax is starting on the swim team at California Baptist University in Backstroke, Freestyle and IM. Mia was a 6-time VHSL State Champion. Four consecutive 200 Meter Freestyle and two consecutive 100 Meter Backstroke. CBU is a member of the Western Athletic Conference and compete at an elite D1 level with numerous Olympic level performers throughout their lengthy history. She has appeared in every event so far in her freshman year. Her dad was a professional MMA fighter. 

Phoebe Fant from Galax has accepted a partial Rowing scholarship at UVA. She will likely graduate Valedictorian in a few months. Incredibly bright young lady with a future in medicine. Stands over 6 feet tall and is the most impressive, well-rounded athlete I've seen in my time here. She's also the drum major for the Maroon Tide Marching Band and captain of the MACC team. 

I’ve had many conversations with Fant over the years in track. I usually work shot-put and discus for the home meets at Giles. She is a good discus thrower with a great attitude and is very respectful. 

On 1/13/2024 at 11:56 PM, SWVAgridiron said:

I’ve had many conversations with Fant over the years in track. I usually work shot-put and discus for the home meets at Giles. She is a good discus thrower with a great attitude and is very respectful. 

Phoebe participates in Cross Country, Marching Band, Swim & Dive, Concert Band, Jazz Band, MACC, Scholastic Bowl, Track & Field and volunteers 20 hours a week at a local nursing home. All that and I'm certain I'm missing a few others.

She's also the senior class president and will likely be valedictorian. Very bright future. Phoebe and my oldest daughter are good friends.

On 1/11/2024 at 1:51 PM, SwvaOG said:

Gabe Sneed and I’m not sure if he’s still at uva or not 

Yeah, foot speed was a big issue there. Good frame but was way off in speed and quick twitch and, oddly enough, didn’t dominate or take over games at the 2A level. 

phyically a gifted youngin, i believe he's just a late bloomer to the finer points of the game.  more often than not he wasn't an impact in the game.  capable, just didn't get it done.  watched a lot of film and it appeared teams ran right at him with little resistance and on the offensive-side he showed good hands only a few times but struggled blocking at times.  hope he can find a way on the field now.  last i saw him he's still a big athletic-looking youngin.

What are the moderators' thoughts on a sticky topic of "Locals at the College Level" where we can track area kids playing college football?  It could be a spreadsheet or something similar:

Player Name       High School                 Position           College        Class/grade/eligibility       Notes:

John Doe            RichRidge HS (2023)      LB                 ETSU           (R)Freshman                   Redshirted 2023/2024 season

Jim Doe              Battleview HS (2022)      WR                Concord        Sophomore                     Backup WR, 15 catches, 230 yards, 2 TD

I think that we have enough people on here to cover all the schools in the coverage area. 

On 1/24/2024 at 3:40 PM, SwvaOG said:

What are the moderators' thoughts on a sticky topic of "Locals at the College Level" where we can track area kids playing college football?  It could be a spreadsheet or something similar:

Player Name       High School                 Position           College        Class/grade/eligibility       Notes:

John Doe            RichRidge HS (2023)      LB                 ETSU           (R)Freshman                   Redshirted 2023/2024 season

Jim Doe              Battleview HS (2022)      WR                Concord        Sophomore                     Backup WR, 15 catches, 230 yards, 2 TD

I think that we have enough people on here to cover all the schools in the coverage area. 

This is something I've always been curious about. Where do they end up at after the first semester?