Who has committed and where?

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Once had official visits to Ohio State, Penn State, Tennessee among others... now relinquished to an NAIA school.  Glad he's getting a chance somewhere, but so much potential wasted is a shame.

It's far more common for kids in P5 or G5 schools to end up on a path similar to this when entering the Transfer Portal. Should be a cautionary tale but all we see from ESPN is Cody Shrader puff pieces. Young people that haven't developed critical thinking skills yet, see those pieces and think everyone is doing it. So they leap and end up falling out of sight.

Some of these kids have a terrible group of people surrounding them as well.

They hitch to the kid's wagon in hopes of some huge NIL deal or even further, NFL contract.

They will put thoughts in the kid's head that they are a P5 talent or the League is a no doubt outcome to their career.

I see it damn near every day and the kid is the one who suffers in the end. 

15 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

This.  I was told this by two local college coaches directly.  The wash out rate is very high, significantly higher than non-locals.  One coach said the sweet spot was 3-4 hours away. 

This is true and it's not just true for SWVA, it's that way all across the country. The kid at the JUCO in central Kansas is generally not from the local area. Exceptions to this rule for rural areas are urban areas where you are more likely to see this compared to rural areas.

You never know about kids. Some surprise in other ways. Keep your eyes on the former Graham player at ODU named Gage Sawyers. He was kind of an under the radar player in the region even though he was first team All State. I've heard good things about him at ODU. You may see a situation kind of opposite of Adkins where this kid takes off. He was highly underestimated in my opinion coming out of High School.

Mike Compton out of High School was good and an All State type, but few thought he would become a first team All American and 11 year NFL starter and a near miss for All Pro (next guy up that got outvoted) 5 times. Sometimes, they go the other way. Heck, Bill Dudley if we go back to the 1940s is an example. A scrawny little kid UVA just took a chance on and a "good" High School player but nothing special or elite, and of course....NFL Hall of Famer. 

Unfortunately, more times than not, it goes the other way and the above are exceptions to the rule. Jury is out on Sawyers. He's one to keep an eye on.

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

You never know about kids. Some surprise in other ways. Keep your eyes on the former Graham player at ODU named Gage Sawyers. He was kind of an under the radar player in the region even though he was first team All State. I've heard good things about him at ODU. You may see a situation kind of opposite of Adkins where this kid takes off. He was highly underestimated in my opinion coming out of High School.

Mike Compton out of High School was good and an All State type, but few thought he would become a first team All American and 11 year NFL starter and a near miss for All Pro (next guy up that got outvoted) 5 times. Sometimes, they go the other way. Heck, Bill Dudley if we go back to the 1940s is an example. A scrawny little kid UVA just took a chance on and a "good" High School player but nothing special or elite, and of course....NFL Hall of Famer. 

Unfortunately, more times than not, it goes the other way and the above are exceptions to the rule. Jury is out on Sawyers. He's one to keep an eye on.

Gage was probably the best all around player Graham had and a hard worker. He had some wheels on him too. Good kid, good head on his shoulders! It was shame he was out injured against King William that year. He made up for it for sure the next year! I hope he has a stellar career at ODU & beyond! 

• 3 weeks later...

55 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Clements commits to VT as preferred walk on. 

Smart choice in my opinion, but that's looking at it from the outside. Each person and situation is different and unique and there is no one size fits all. Kid's a baller and from watching him a few times, tough as nails.

• 4 weeks later...