Updated football fields

fishfan

Yall leave the "DEQ" dam$ Dairy Queen out of this! I love that place. 

On a serious note. I recall many years ago back around 1990ish Graham High had a sinkhole or something like that which was so bad the school was closed for a few months and the High Schoolers had to go to the Middle School. It was all over the Bluefield Daily. I wonder if there is any chance that thing could rear its ugly head? I remember some Graham fans on this board many years ago saying their is a cave or cave system or something crazy like that which runs under the school or something like this. My memory is way vague on it. 

Karst topography and/or underground caves would have been found during a geotechnical report and field survey. I doubt it's something like that unless someone didn't do their job.

It's more likely, the owner or contractor requested changes to the design for whatever reason that necessitated another DEQ review before construction can continue. 

I just checked the DEQ Peep Portal out of curiosity. The project at Graham High School and Richlands High School does not appear anywhere on the site. Is the Graham property in Virginia? Richlands is just a turf replacement. It could potentially be exempted by DEQ.

Here is a timeline of the Tazewell High School project per the DEQ Peep Portal.

• Plans were submitted for review on September 26 for Tazewell High School.
  • DEQ requested additional information on October 6.
  • Engineer response to the request on October 31.
  • DEQ issued Technical Information Request on December 15.
  • Engineers response to the request on January 2.
  • DEQ issued Technical Information Request on February 6.

Permits have not been issued by DEQ for work to commence at Tazewell High School!!!

https://portal.deq.virginia.gov/peep-search

25 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Is the Graham property in Virginia? 

Yep. Bluefield, VA, and that I'm certain of because of Double Gates Grocery hotdogs. Graham High is in, or very near the Double Gates neighborhood and that is a few miles from the WV border. 100 percent for sure in Virginia.

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

On a serious note. I recall many years ago back around 1990ish Graham High had a sinkhole or something like that which was so bad the school was closed for a few months and the High Schoolers had to go to the Middle School. It was all over the Bluefield Daily. I wonder if there is any chance that thing could rear its ugly head? I remember some Graham fans on this board many years ago saying their is a cave or cave system or something crazy like that which runs under the school or something like this. My memory is way vague on it. 

I wouldn't imagine that is the problem. They built the new fieldhouse and new gyms a decade ago within 70 yards of the sinkhole that appeared in 1990.

3 hours ago, LacesOutDan23 said:

Heard there was a work stoppage at the Graham site, which is now pushing back the start time for Tazewell's project. Can anyone confirm. Something with DEQ.

They were working yesterday. Didn't go by there today so if there was a stoppage it was since yesterday after lunch.

On 2/15/2024 at 6:37 PM, CPF said:

They were working yesterday. Didn't go by there today so if there was a stoppage it was since yesterday after lunch.

On 2/15/2024 at 3:17 PM, LacesOutDan23 said:

Heard there was a work stoppage at the Graham site, which is now pushing back the start time for Tazewell's project. Can anyone confirm. Something with DEQ.

They were on site this morning working. I can’t speak to the rest of the day. 

Edit: They were working today so if it was halted, looks like they’re back in business. 

Edited by Gridiron60
Add update.

6 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Waiting on environmental studies at THS ...

If they are utilizing phosphorous credits, this would make sense. It would delay the start of construction but save some time on the back end along with a considerable amount of money.

In a nutshell, the county would place a large tract of land in a conservation easement, meaning it could never be developed. In exchange, DEQ would significantly lighten the environmental requirements for the smaller tract of land at THS. Grayson County did this when they installed turf a couple of years ago.

On 2/15/2024 at 3:22 PM, sixcat said:

It's always something with DEQ. Has to be the most inefficient, incompetent state agency in Virginia. I got an email from them last week about one of my projects that read "we're happy to report, you're review is scheduled to be completed by July 19."

The project was submitted to them in October!!!

Submitted an annual report to DEQ (regarding water issues) in February 2022. Got comments back in March 2023.

On 2/15/2024 at 3:44 PM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I was involved in the sinkhole remediation on that project. That sinkhole won't rear it's ugly head again. I have some maps of several cave systems beneath Bluefield, VA. When you live in karst topography, a sinkhole can open anywhere at any time.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure when the estimated completion date is for Graham but they’re sure moving a lot of dirt & looks like getting ready to install drainage soon. Hopefully, weather cooperates and things get done expediently so all three schools will have a place to practice once that begins in earnest. 

9 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Not sure when the estimated completion date is for Graham but they’re sure moving a lot of dirt & looks like getting ready to install drainage soon. Hopefully, weather cooperates and things get done expediently so all three schools will have a place to practice once that begins in earnest. 

Tell them to pressure wash the schools, while they're at it.   All 3 buildings could use a good cleaning on the outside.

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

Going to have to haul in a lot more rock to get that crown back in the middle though.

You ain't kidding haha. I remember being a freshman in the band and getting ready to perform for the first time and standing on the visiting sidelines and not being able to see anything below the mid-thigh of the Richlands players on the other side haha. Blew my 14 year old mind. 

Call me sentimental, but I miss the grass field. 
Now, I wouldn’t want to be responsible for upkeep, but I wholeheartedly believe that natural grass results in fewer injuries. I occasionally miss the dealing with the elements when a team that relies on power suddenly has an advantage when it comes to rain, snow, and mud.

1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

Just saw where the old turf at Richlands is being sent to Tazewell for their baseball and softball fields. First I’ve heard of that. 

I saw where some of it was donated to Richlands Little League for their batting cages.