Updated football fields

fishfan

Will Grahams field be Maroon or Cardinal Red? I am still literally UNaware of what Graham's school colors are basically for the last 50 years. Their fans tell me "Maroon and Grey" and it's in their fightsong, but I don't see Salem or VT Maroon as in......a little more purplish than red. I've always seen Cardinal which is NOT Maroon. If the GMen are going to stay with Cardinal as they've done since Carlock made that adjustment over 50 years ago, then why not just change the school song and colors to reflect it? After 50 years, a decision probably should have been made, lol.

I've seen old football games on tape from GC, to Andrew Lewis to Big Creek and u name it, going back to the 50s and 60s. The old or actual school colors Graham reflected looked a lot like a moden day Salem. Not Cardinal or red, but Maroon (leaning to more purple than red.) Anyway, enough of my off season rant. 

Similar with Tazewell. Didn't Tazewell add yellow to the unis at one time in the 80s? I could have sworn when the Bandana Bunch beat the Dogs in 86 the year Tazewell won the state title, the Dogs had some yellow in their unis. This wasn't gold either. My memory may be wrong though.

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Will Grahams field be Maroon or Cardinal Red? I am still literally UNaware of what Graham's school colors are basically for the last 50 years. Their fans tell me "Maroon and Grey" and it's in their fightsong, but I don't see Salem or VT Maroon as in......a little more purplish than red. I've always seen Cardinal which is NOT Maroon. If the GMen are going to stay with Cardinal as they've done since Carlock made that adjustment over 50 years ago, then why not just change the school song and colors to reflect it? After 50 years, a decision probably should have been made, lol.

I've seen old football games on tape from GC, to Andrew Lewis to Big Creek and u name it, going back to the 50s and 60s. The old or actual school colors Graham reflected looked a lot like a moden day Salem. Not Cardinal or red, but Maroon (leaning to more purple than red.) Anyway, enough of my off season rant. 

Similar with Tazewell. Didn't Tazewell add yellow to the unis at one time in the 80s? I could have sworn when the Bandana Bunch beat the Dogs in 86 the year Tazewell won the state title, the Dogs had some yellow in their unis. This wasn't gold either. My memory may be wrong though.

Tazewell did have yellow for a short time and sometimes do the throwbacks with yellow in girls basketball.

The equipment is on site at Tazewell and has been moved the last couple of days so I imagine everything is in place.  I think the bulldog and the T both at the 50 will be a little busy too I don't love that logo anyway but it seems like the school is going to try to go to some uniformity and it makes sense its been too many random things for a long time

1 hour ago, techfan said:

The equipment is on site at Tazewell and has been moved the last couple of days so I imagine everything is in place.  I think the bulldog and the T both at the 50 will be a little busy too I don't love that logo anyway but it seems like the school is going to try to go to some uniformity and it makes sense its been too many random things for a long time

Work began this morning. 

1 hour ago, techfan said:

That T/bulldog has been a major imprint on this town forever, the community wants that logo and the history that comes with it.  I don't mind it, kids like it.

2 hours ago, SpillBoss said:

That T/bulldog has been a major imprint on this town forever, the community wants that logo and the history that comes with it.  I don't mind it, kids like it.

I like that design too.  The field is going to look nice.   Somebody.showed me a picture of what it's going to look like.  I like it.  A lot of green and white and a thin black border around the edge. The bulldog within the "T" in the middle has some grey.

4 hours ago, SpillBoss said:

If it is like the old logo that we had before at one point, I love it.  Actually have a magnet on the back of the truck with that logo.  Use to put it on the car when going to games but hybrids have to much plastic on the back end 🙄

On 5/6/2024 at 4:29 PM, Real Sasquatch said:

Tazewell did have yellow for a short time and sometimes do the throwbacks with yellow in girls basketball.

It was Gold not yellow!

On 5/8/2024 at 2:04 PM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

LOL. Yea, just like Grahams yellow is gold. Ain't no yellow in those unis, just all gold

I have a blueprint of what Graham's field will look like, but don't know how to post it on here.  It's in my gallery on my phone.

2 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I have a blueprint of what Graham's field will look like, but don't know how to post it on here.  It's in my gallery on my phone.

The print you have has changed if it's the one I had. Graham high school facebook page just loaded a preview of the new field. Looks similar to tazewell.

5 hours ago, swva_fan said:

442417282_977687971026502_5825885658438375148_n.jpg

So what about the parking at Graham when/if they hold games there. Its hard to imagine there would be enough parking there.  During youth events held there, the parking is pretty tough.  Also wouldn't  the Middle school area been a better choice?

2 hours ago, jeffro said:

So what about the parking at Graham when/if they hold games there. Its hard to imagine there would be enough parking there.  During youth events held there, the parking is pretty tough.  Also wouldn't  the Middle school area been a better choice?

It's just a practice field right now.  But, I would imagine that if they needed parking, there will be some space left over to make some parking near the "stadium".......if that ever happens.  There is also room to expand parking in the two fields in front of the school.  If warranted for a big crowd at a game, people could park at the middle school and walk.  There is also parking behind the school, that lower lot behind the school is used for Driver's Ed (at least it used to be, it could be lined for parking spaces and serve a dual purpose.  I don't think it will be as big of an issue as some people think.  

As for now, I think the field will be utilized for practices and to  host little league games and soccer games.  People can bring their folding chairs for both of those.  Graham pays a pretty penny for the East River Soccer Complex too, I hear.  That's an immediate benefit.  As for football getting their own stadium, I think there is a plan in place, but that may not come to fruition anytime soon.  When actual plans are announced for that, then I'll believe it will be happening.  I do believe there is intent for that to happen, however.

There is a lot of cost associated with a stadium, plumbing, electrical, adequate lighting.  Restrooms, concessions, .....insurance.  In this economy, with the cost of building material skyrocketing seemingly every year, it will be a big undertaking for a small community.

That School is not getting any younger either.  I would hope that if they do put a "stadium" there, that it would be something to be proud of and not just the cheapest route to take.

10 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

It's just a practice field right now.  But, I would imagine that if they needed parking, there will be some space left over to make some parking near the "stadium".......if that ever happens.  There is also room to expand parking in the two fields in front of the school.  If warranted for a big crowd at a game, people could park at the middle school and walk.  There is also parking behind the school, that lower lot behind the school is used for Driver's Ed (at least it used to be, it could be lined for parking spaces and serve a dual purpose.  I don't think it will be as big of an issue as some people think.  

As for now, I think the field will be utilized for practices and to  host little league games and soccer games.  People can bring their folding chairs for both of those.  Graham pays a pretty penny for the East River Soccer Complex too, I hear.  That's an immediate benefit.  As for football getting their own stadium, I think there is a plan in place, but that may not come to fruition anytime soon.  When actual plans are announced for that, then I'll believe it will be happening.  I do believe there is intent for that to happen, however.

There is a lot of cost associated with a stadium, plumbing, electrical, adequate lighting.  Restrooms, concessions, .....insurance.  In this economy, with the cost of building material skyrocketing seemingly every year, it will be a big undertaking for a small community.

That School is not getting any younger either.  I would hope that if they do put a "stadium" there, that it would be something to be proud of and not just the cheapest route to take.

It might have been said before but I can't remember.  Where is the funding coming from for these fields?  We know the county can't manage its funding so what outside source has provided for these upgrades?

Was really disappointed when I hear that games will still  be at Mitchell.  Hope they can get them moved to their field in the next few years.

11 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

yeah , didnt know just a practice field, figured the first step moving away from Mitchell.. Definitely a lot of challenges if they are heading that direction..Gotta say though Mitchell has always been home field although at times Graham is treated like a step child when using it. Hard to imagine playing anywhere else

59 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

It might have been said before but I can't remember.  Where is the funding coming from for these fields?  We know the county can't manage its funding so what outside source has provided for these upgrades?

Was really disappointed when I hear that games will still  be at Mitchell.  Hope they can get them moved to their field in the next few years.

Pretty sure it's federal money.  Graham's field specifically is from Covid funding, if I recall correctly... for an "outdoor learning space".  Pretty slick of TCPS to get a turf field by using it for "outdoor learning".  The other projects are not from county funds either, can't remember if they are state or federal  funds, but those are for facility upgrades.

Also, if Graham does build a stadium, it will be some sort of joint effort between the town of Bluefield. VA and the school system.  Similar to the gyms built behind Graham High School.  Like I said before, if they build a stadium, I hope it's something to be proud of and not the cheapest thing to do.

3 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Most likely in 2025 they make the move with only the Bluefield game played at Mitchell.

19 hours ago, CPF said:

Most likely in 2025 they make the move with only the Bluefield game played at Mitchell.

I can understand that game being left there it only makes sense.  The rest of everything needs to get out of there.  Bad enough paying to use a facility but said facility isn't in the county or even the state...