State Playoffs Information

Gridiron60

18 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Auburn broke GW. They haven’t been the same the past couple of weeks. 

Not to take anything away from Honaker. Great win. 

14 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Auburn pulls away from Chilhowie, wins by 22  

I watched the 4th qtr of GW and Honaker.  GW with just several literally wide open 3 point shots and the ball just rims out.  It happens.  Teams go cold and 8 minutes is a short quarter, only 32 minutes in a HS basketball game.  With that written, got to credit Honaker for scoring more points than GW.  GW is very good defensively and Honaker put up over 60.  Honaker deserved to win.  It wasn't a fluke

Agree with both of these statements.

Congrats Honaker! 

26 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Auburn pulls away from Chilhowie, wins by 22  

I watched the 4th qtr of GW and Honaker.  GW with just several literally wide open 3 point shots and the ball just rims out.  It happens.  Teams go cold and 8 minutes is a short quarter, only 32 minutes in a HS basketball game.  With that written, got to credit Honaker for scoring more points than GW.  GW is very good defensively and Honaker put up over 60.  Honaker deserved to win.  It wasn't a fluke

Anytime a team from 1D takes out a team from 1C in any sport it has to be a fluke.. 

25 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

All state semis will be played at the home of the higher seed.  If both are #1's, then higher seed top of bracket hosts - see the schedule I linked up earlier.

Game is being played at Wise - VAHigh/Graham

I watched the 2nd half of Honaker and GW.  I was holding my breath as Honaker  inbounded  the ball in the last few minutes.  Turned it over once, and could have happened again.   Honaker had 2 players waiting for inbound pass, and GW with 3 defenders on them.  It was dicey.   GW was the quicker team, but at the end, their quickness caused them to step on the base line couple of times,  and turn the ball over.  How many time outs did GW coach call during 2nd half?  

36 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Virginia High finishes off Martinsville by 14 to get the W.  Good night for Region D.

What I saw with Martinsville and Gretna were athletes and not great basketball players.  Both teams are not very disciplined.  They have good quickness, but just don't seem to have elite or great basketball players.  Gretna and Martinsville had their athleticism neutralized by Graham and Va High's equally potent athleticism, but Va High and Graham just had better basketball players (at least that's what I saw-my opinion).

Just for my information what did Martinsville do that made you think, in your opinion of course, that they were undisciplined? I didn't see the game but from what I saw all year the reason they were competitive, was their discipline. I agree they didn't have alot of talent, they lost 3 players before the new year, 2 of which were starters, a 6'2 guard and a 6'6" post player. They had to be some what disciplined just to make it this far. So I was just wondering what you saw.

1 hour ago, pdfan said:

Just for my information what did Martinsville do that made you think, in your opinion of course, that they were undisciplined? I didn't see the game but from what I saw all year the reason they were competitive, was their discipline. I agree they didn't have alot of talent, they lost 3 players before the new year, 2 of which were starters, a 6'2 guard and a 6'6" post player. They had to be some what disciplined just to make it this far. So I was just wondering what you saw.

Heard someone was raising hell that one of the martinsville players made a shot and was celebrating by shooting a finger gun at the v high player. So they are definitely undisciplined. Not a fan of the way v high acts by no means but that is completely uncalled for. All of this stems from the coaches imo

Unofficially this is what I've been told:

Eastside vs. Honaker at UVa-Wise

Wise Central vs. Ridgeview at UVa-Wise

Virginia High vs. Graham at UVa-Wise

Abingdon vs. LCA at Virginia High

Honaker vs. Auburn at Lebanon

Abingdon girls wanted to play at Emory and Henry but were denied.  UVa-Wise, Virginia High and Lebanon were approved semifinal venues.  Semifinals MUST be played at a neutral location as chosen by the higher seed, hence why Virginia High can't play at the Bearcat Den.  The only puzzling thing is why Honaker didn't choose UVa-Wise to play the boys game as this may split the fan base up.  Hear they're going to try to play the girls game early so the Honaker fans can get to Lebanon as well, but it seems to me that the fans get the shaft for having to pay twice.

Once again, this is what I was told.

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Unofficially this is what I've been told:

Eastside vs. Honaker at UVa-Wise

Wise Central vs. Ridgeview at UVa-Wise

Virginia High vs. Graham at UVa-Wise

Abingdon vs. LCA at Virginia High

Honaker vs. Auburn at Lebanon

Abingdon girls wanted to play at Emory and Henry but were denied.  UVa-Wise, Virginia High and Lebanon were approved semifinal venues.  Semifinals MUST be played at a neutral location as chosen by the higher seed, hence why Virginia High can't play at the Bearcat Den.  The only puzzling thing is why Honaker didn't choose UVa-Wise to play the boys game as this may split the fan base up.  Hear they're going to try to play the girls game early so the Honaker fans can get to Lebanon as well, but it seems to me that the fans get the shaft for having to pay twice.

Once again, this is what I was told.

Seems like Va High and Graham would want to play at Lebanon too-that’s right in the middle for both of them 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

Maybe the want GMen to travel further? But  I’m like you, Lebanon makes more sense logistically for both. 

I think Graham lost at Lebanon by 6, went ice cold and beat Lebanon at home by about 25 pts. Thar gym down there ain't no joke. It's like putting a basketball goal in the middle of an open field. Gmen better get thst figure out. 

Just now, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I think Graham lost at Lebanon by 6, went ice cold and beat Lebanon at home by about 25 pts. Thar gym down there ain't no joke. It's like putting a basketball goal in the middle of an open field. Gmen better get thst figure out. 

Maybe that’s why VA High chose it to there. 

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Virginia High and Graham Friday at Lebanon 6:00 PM confirmed from someone within the Graham community I trust.  Not UVa-Wise.

Abingdon and LCA at Virginia High confirmed for Friday at 6:00.

This is confirmed!  Last night it was going to be UVAWise.  Lebanon was proposed for the Region Championship as well.  This will be a fun game.  VA High or Graham to play for State Runner-UP!  

56 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Doesn’t bother honaker one bit. That’s why they definitely wanted to play at Lebanon and not wise

19 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Just like Richlands football in 2016, Graham/VHS know what they have to face if they advance to the championship. It sucks knowing that you’re going to get obliterated by JM but whoever wins should still be proud to make it there no matter the score. 

True, but I liked Richlands a whole lot more than VHS-Graham vs JM.

As for sportsmanship by JM.  Somebody posted that the jv even dominates when put in and that leads to lopsided scores.  I recall having a little league coach that made us pass the ball 10 times before attempting a shot when we would get a big lead, surely JM could call off the dogs somewhat, if a rec league team can....it's just blatantly unsportsmanlike.

51 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

As for sportsmanship by JM.  Somebody posted that the jv even dominates when put in and that leads to lopsided scores.  I recall having a little league coach that made us pass the ball 10 times before attempting a shot when we would get a big lead, surely JM could call off the dogs somewhat, if a rec league team can....it's just blatantly unsportsmanlike.

The dilemma JM coach has is what to do with the backups when up 40?  Do you take your starters out up by 20,30,or 40?  Those starters have moved from somewhere literally just to play basketball there and the Coach has direct communication with college coaches about getting the kid noticed and I'm sure has told the kids that they get so many minutes per game, etc.  Then, here's the other problem......the guys 6 through 10 have also likely moved there or from outside the area and trying to make it.   They are also trying to get noticed.  Here's the scary thing, JM's 6 man through 10th guy could win the VA Class 2 state title game by 15 to 20 points, so what does the coach tell those parents of guys 6-10?  Does he just let em pass it and hold the ball and play zone defense, etc?  I don't know the right answer here.  I do know this.........this is just yet another problem faced when you have a system in place that allows unfair competition.  It opens up just crazy cans of ALL KINDS of worms, not just lopsided scores.  It even creates some internal conflict (I'm sure) within the team/parents, etc.