Graham vs. Abingdon

futbolking

City of Bluefield runs the stadium.  No extra bulbs for the scoreboard.  They will need to implement a "bulb fee" to the residents.   

They finally get someone who knows how to run it? Last time I was there was in 2014 and they had some numbers scrolling where the teams name should be. 

I was wondering how long it would take before dining issues hijacked our thread 😀. I will probably get laughed off the forum but I must state my preferred Bluefield dining spot....K&W Cafeteria. Yes, it might not be chef quality but it has good selection and reasonable price. Desserts are solid. Go Falcons!

Where is this ?  I have heard some good things but have no idea where it's at.  What type of food GMan ?  I am looking to take my wife to someplace new so I might want to give this place a try.

It's on Virginia Ave. in West Graham in the old Cotton's location...yeh, that helps.  I think its 1204 Virginia Ave in Bluefield, VA.  They serve BBQ and such.  Only open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

https://www.facebook.com/SavoryFlavors/?fref=ts

I was wondering how long it would take before dining issues hijacked our thread 😀. I will probably get laughed off the forum but I must state my preferred Bluefield dining spot....K&W Cafeteria. Yes, it might not be chef quality but it has good selection and reasonable price. Desserts are solid. Go Falcons!

Kanes and Walkers!

I'm sure that La Fiesta Mexican Grill will give you all 10% off if you say you are Abingdon fans and playing against Graham...

Several places nearby... McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, El Puerto, Italian Village, Bellacino's, Applebees, Bob Evans, Subway. Hardees, Savory Flavors, Dairy Queen on the VA side....  

On the WV side.... Railyard, Big Whiskey BBQ, McDonalds, Hardees, KFC, Captain D's, Dairy, Queen, Portabellas

In the Mall... Chic fil A, Portabellas, Sunny Days, McAdo's

The VA side would be more convenient if coming down 19-460

The mall and WV side wouldn't be too much out of the way if you're coming down 81 to 77...

Everyone is expecting a high scoring game, and while it very well may be one, I don't expect it to be the 55-44 score it was last year. Graham's defense is improved from last year, especially the run defense. Bluefield scored 34 but some of that was garbage time. Richlands scored 31 but a couple scores were from very short fields and aided by 15 yard penalties. They held Tazewell, 2A's highest scoring team fwiw, to 12 and held Giles to 14 on their home field. That's only averaging about 22 points given up per game. For people that have followed Graham the last few years that's pretty impressive considering we're less than two years removed from giving up 70 to GC in the playoffs.

With all that being said, I think graham is in for its toughest matchup yet. Abingdon's offense is comparable to Richlands except for the fact that they have a RB threat, and Sturgill seems more athletic and more capable to tuck it and run than Asbury. Imo they don't have the same caliber receivers that Richlands does so they can probably afford to play Cousin closer to the line to help out with the run.

My opinion for Graham to win the game is

1. Feed Cousin the ball.

2. Many jet sweeps and bubble screens to Cooke.

3. Bend but don't break on D.

4. FEED COUSIN THE BALL.

If they do I got Graham 38-24.

If not Abingdon 42-28

I would like to see them throw to Cousin more.  To the best of my memory, which isn't very good, they threw to Cousin out of the backfield several times last year.  Get him out in space, especially against a team with a good defensive line like Giles had last week.  It was all he could do to get back to the LOS on several plays.  If we can keep the penalties and turnovers in check I believe it will be a close game.  Got to get off the field on 3rd downs.

I would like to see them throw to Cousin more. To the best of my memory, which isn't very good, they threw to Cousin out of the backfield several times last year. Get him out in space, especially against a team with a good defensive line like Giles had last week. It was all he could do to get back to the LOS on several plays. If we can keep the penalties and turnovers in check I believe it will be a close game. Got to get off the field on 3rd downs.

I thought the same thing. I felt like throwing him a screen in the 4th quarter would've been smart since their ends were chasing Meade the second he got the snap.

Like I said before, I know very little about Graham..but I'm a homer...so AHS 56-8. (plus, I picked score total in the pick'em at 64)

Well it won't be 8. Cousin was a tough ask of the Falcons D a year ago, and I'm sure he will be again. One good note for the Falcons, however, is that they have yet to seriously be burned by the overpursuit that haunted them against teams like Blacksburg and Graham a year ago. If my memory serves me correct, Tiquest Terry only successfully reversed field once, something Cousin feasted on against Abingdon last year.

Most of Blacksburg's success against the Falcons' D this year came while working against the zone in the ~5-yard buffer the Falcons were giving the Bruins, and then using their short area quickness (Terry in particular) to juke defenders. For whatever reason, Abingdon didn't make an adjustment to that until deep in the second half, but once they took that away and started generating pressure (and turnovers), Blacksburg struggled to move it consistently.

I keep hearing stop Cousin..... Graham has about 5 more guys that can burn you.  

Yes but, Cousin was the one that burned the Falcons many a time last year and pretty much single-handedly kept Graham in the game. I'm just saying that whether his ability to take over games like that is real or imagined (and from everything I've seen/heard, it's the former), based off of their experience from last year, Abingdon will likely try to make anyone else beat them. And that may happen, but look for them to seriously try to shut him down.

I keep hearing stop Cousin..... Graham has about 5 more guys that can burn you.

If Cousin is the main focus it could be a long night for AHS. Ben Meade at quarterback is run threat as well.

Like I said before, I know very little about Graham..but I'm a homer...so AHS 56-8. (plus, I picked score total in the pick'em at 64)

You guys know I was being facetious with that score prediction, right? In reality, I'm going with 35-29. Graham will get to 27 and botch the snap on the PAT but then convert it for 2. That will happen with 1:12 left in the game.. AHS will get 1 first down after that and then run out the clock. Book it. (don't you love when someone says "book it"....it immediately disqualifies everything they said).

AHS 34-30.

Stats per today's BHC for the Abingdon Falcons

Rushing

Fulton, through 4 games--46 carries--328 yds.--7.1 YPC

Sturgill, through 4 games--25 carries--198 yds.--7.9 YPC

Scoring

Fulton,  8 TD's--48 pts

Sturgill,  6 TD's--36 pts

Wallace, 6 TD's--36 pts

Touchdown Passes

Sturgill, 10 TD's

Boothe, 1 TD