Grundy at Hurley

EH31

Hurley wins by 3 or 4 TDS... maybe more. 

*Somewhere Rebel_Yell is dancing after my prediction*

In all honestly, Grundy is probably the toughest opponent Hurley will face all year. Anything less than a "blowout" cannot be a good indicator for the future. 

Know nothing about Hurley, but if they beat Grundy by 4 TDs that will be a statement for them. I realize that Grundy isn't Richlands, Graham, Giles, or Union, but they play soundly and with heart. Last night, they ran hard, passed well when they needed to, and didn't make many mistakes.

It's hard not to go with Hurley. But I don't think Hurley's going steamroll Grundy like previous opponents. And I won't be surprised if this isn't a closer game than expected or possibly Grundy getting the upset. I don't think any team Hurley's played so far this season has such a diverse group of players to go to like Grundy has on offense. They have a big O-Line, hard runners and a really good tall receiver. And their defense is pretty physical too. I know how Grundy's head coach Plymal is. If I'm guessing he's going throw everything at Hurley's defense and will keep them on their toes. Big test for Hurley. If Hurley does shut Grundy down and run all over them then will know more where Hurley stands but I expect this to be a "dog fight" game. Two undefeated Buchanan Co. rivals, bragging rights, but most importantly Grundy will win the BDD title if they win. Cooking up to be a good one at The Cliff.

I expect a close, hard fought game by both teams. The teams respect one another greatly, it's the "fans" I'm worried most about.

Hopefully in this years game nobody charges the field after any referees like last year! Lol

OH man,  that's good stuff right there !  I keep a can handy at all times......  : )

I had poison ivy from head to toe one time when I was a kid. An elderly lady at our church told us that bag balm was real good for poison ivy.  The only thing it helped with was I was greased so much I couldn't begin to scratch it.  Bag Balm 0      Poison Ivy 1.   

Game of the week...when these two lock horns you can throw the records and everything else out the window and expect a solid night of big hits and drama...The Cliff is going to be as wild as its ever been....for sure. 

They are opening the gates at 4pm and it's going to be a packed house.

HURLEY, Va. -— It’s being billed as the showdown at The Cliff.

If it’s anything like last year’s game between Grundy and Hurley this year’s encounter could be the shootout at The Cliff.

It’s a county rivalry between the highest scoring team in Group 1A against a team with some weapons of its own as Hurley (5-0) hosts Grundy (6-0) in a battle of unbeatens.

The only other Black Diamond District team is in action tonight as Honaker (2-4) travels to Norton to face J.I. Burton (3-3).

Hurley features what is possibly the most explosive backfield in the state.

Brady Justice leads this talented group of breakaway threats. He was the workhorse with 2,348 yards last year, but now Zack Lester and Devin Tester give the Rebels three backs that can score from anywhere on the field.

Lester has scored 11 times on plays of 21 yards or more, via a run, pass or punt return. Six of them covered between 43 and 85 yards, despite missing two games because of injuries suffered in an automobile crash.

Tester, who missed part of last season with injuries, has scored on runs of 60, 65 and 80 yards, respectively. And Justice, who did it all last season, has scored 14 touchdowns so far this year, despite fewer touches.

They’ve added another weapon this season with addition of strong-armed quarterback Tayten Sykes, who adds yet another running threat.

“We have a pretty good amount of speed,†said Hurley coach Greg Tester. “We’ve been able to utilize it and everybody’s contributed.â€

Grundy coach Craig Plymal says his defense has to be disciplined against the Rebels.

“We’ll have to be well-disiplined with our keys and tendencies and win some battles on the line,†he said. “These guys have state playoff caliber talent and create match-up problems.â€

Grundy has allowed just 17 points in its last two games. The Golden Wave have a solid set of backs, too

Jacob McNutt has been a rugged back and leads the Wave with 758 yards in six games, but he’s had plenty of help. Senior Daleton Anglin and sophomore Gabe Fiser have good speed.

Last week sophomore quarterback Derick Endicott had his best game to date and connected often with sure-handed receiver Christian Jackson, who had six catches for 111 yards and a touchdown in last week’s 30-14 win at Central-Wise.

“They have some good skill guys we have to contain,†Hurley coach Greg Tester said. “We have to tackle well and not let McNutt have too much space.

“He runs hard and we have to wrap up and get to the football on defense. We have to come out focused and play with intensity all game.â€

Anticipating a packed house at The Cliff, Hurley High School Athletic Director Mark Cooper said the gates will open at 4 p.m.

Grundy has dominated this series, winning 20 of 25 encounters.

Hurley, however, has won the last two, including a wild, 48-46 contest last year at Grundy.