GATE CITY

HawkeyeDan

I am sure glad you decided to chime in UVAObserver. I think most will see all tried to be very nice and accommodating. Then the Gate City with two athletes and then the flood gates opened with stupidity ! Gate City has earned better than that with their efforts on the field for decades. Truly a Gold Standard for SWVA Football

It's obvious why GC no longer has the original cannonball, no way in the world any insurance company would let anyone near a crowd with a steam engine off of a train.. seriously it is amazing no one ever got hurt then, but NOTHING ever has or ever will get the goose bumps running like that old cannonball did. I used to hear it coming down from Hiltons toward Legion Field when I was at home getting ready for the games.. gives me chills now..

we were known all over the state through the 70's for that thing..(and a little football) at Southhampton in '74 they had that tank and scored first it just about scared me to death.. by the end of the game the cannonball had overwhelmed the tank 28-7. :)

It's obvious why GC no longer has the original cannonball, no way in the world any insurance company would let anyone near a crowd with a steam engine off of a train.. seriously it is amazing no one ever got hurt then, but NOTHING ever has or ever will get the goose bumps running like that old cannonball did. I used to hear it coming down from Hiltons toward Legion Field when I was at home getting ready for the games.. gives me chills now..

we were known all over the state through the 70's for that thing..(and a little football) at Southhampton in '74 they had that tank and scored first it just about scared me to death.. by the end of the game the cannonball had overwhelmed the tank 28-7. :)

From what I hear it was sent to be worked on somewhere and was stolen while there. If you got a few dollars here is a nice replacement. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Live-Steam-Boiler-with-Engine-Flyball-Governor-Whistle-Pump-Coal-Off-Grid-/361095426076?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5412f6f01c

I am sure glad you decided to chime in UVAObserver. I think most will see all tried to be very nice and accommodating. Then the Gate City with two athletes and then the flood gates opened with stupidity ! Gate City has earned better than that with their efforts on the field for decades. Truly a Gold Standard for SWVA Football

Key words "SWVA football" .. i think that is another example of some people's lack of knowledge/respect up that way for SWVA football. I say some people cause i dnt want to group them as a whole!! I personally will take us good ole boys from SWVA with the "team" heart we have down on our end of the state up against anybody!!!

"off topic but... GC girls volleyball improves to 29-0 beats Luray 3-0 and are in the state championship game Saturday... GOOO BIG BLUE!"

Yeah...great volleyball match tonight. Packed gym. The girls played pretty well. I think the scores were 25-14, 25-20, and 25-9. The most impressive 2A team I remember seeing. 

Hate having GC football and volleyball both playing on Saturday. Had planned on making the trip to Richmond, but guess I'll stay in GC and watch the 4.2 speed of Buckingham. 

Athletes are the difference. Gate City has one to two good athletes. Per team each year these teams have several athletes per team each year. By no means do I mean this to sound disrespectful lord knows sometimes its good to have just some hard nosed get down and dirty in trenches corn fed youngens like Gate City produces. But athletes normally prevail.

Quick history lesson...from 1984-1991 Central Lunenburg had an 81 game regular season win streak, athletes running out their ears, great coaching, and a fan base that travelled well and supported them everywhere they went to play. During that time span they appeared in 7 straight State Championship games, with 5 of those games being against teams from SWVA. Their record in those games was 1-4 with a win over Garden in 1986. The other 4 games were losses to Covington and Powell Valley 3 times. To be more precise, from 1984-1990 Lunenburg played a total of 96 games with an overall record of 91-5....and 4 of those 5 losses came to teams from SWVA. Ask them the difference between athletes and smash mouth football players. They didn't lack confidence in their athletes either...in 1985 after the conclusion of their half state game their coach went as far as to say that he thought they had defeated their competition in the state and they were "Going to Big Stone Gap to pick up the trophy"...in all they made 3 trips and went home empty handed every single time. No doubt they had more athletes on the field, and no doubt they dominated their half of the state..but when faced with the traditional brand of football played in SWVA they usually tasted their only defeat of the whole season. Athletes are good to have, but football players are better to have.

Just something to keep in mind when talking smack about the number of athletes on any given team...

Athletes are good to have, but football players are better to have.

Truer words have never been spoken. Especially when the team is 5 hours from home, its cold, muddy and there is the constant sound of the largest crowd youve ever played in front of.

Maybe Buckingham wins, maybe they lose but they are walking into a hornets nest and I get the feeling that they dont know it

If the fans, coaches and players from the 2011 Galax state runner-up team would be honest, they would say they got beat by a Clintwood team full of football players.  Galax had an abundance of athletes in that game.  Clintwood hit them in the mouth and continued to hit them in the mouth until the final whistle.

Give me a dominant offensive line and a good solid defense, a good punter and kicker, and I will take an average quarterback and average skill players and probably beat you 9 times out of 10.  Football is still about dominating the line of scrimmage, blocking and tackling...at ALL levels.

All Clintwood heard leading up to their game with Sussex in 2011 was how much faster Sussex was then any team Clintwood had ever seen. Clintwood had no chance of beating them. They had just beat Covington 88-8 the week before and Clintwood held them to 8 points. They did it by hitting them in the mouth on every play. It took our o a little while to get anywhere but over time we wore them down. Also Clintwood was playing with a back up QB our starter got hurt the week before at GW. I know Gate City win or lose will give it thier all and never give up. They will be hitting just as hard in the 4th as they do in the 1st reguardless of the score.        

I just checked with a couple of the stations in Farmville, they aren't covering the game - apparently they all think this will be a repeat of last year as well...

I'll be glued to the BlueDevilsLive feed and I should be able to hear the Cannonball, Cowbells, and Hey Gang from here in North Carolina!

I recall same thing in 89 when Graham beat a bunch of "athletes" from South-Hampton....Graham smash mouthed them to the tune of a 16-0 spanking.... Those boys didn't know what hit them. Gate City was very young last year...they won't be a push over this season. Buckingham may be in for arude awakening.