Abingdon @ Richlands; SWD Title Game

V-Cats

Richlands D needs to put enough pressure on Sturgill to make him hurry,  but they will also need to make sure they play disciplined and not let him run for big yardage when and if the pressure is on and a play breaks down.  I know he's a great passer,   but he is also a good enough athlete to hurt a team with his legs when the pocket breaks down.

I love our linebackers  ( and really our whole front 7 )  and I think they can keep his running in check for the most part.  He's gonna make his yards and score with the passing game,  you just need to stop him from getting the first down when a particular play breaks down and he has to run so you can limit the amount of 1st downs they get and get our D off the field.

I have a lot of respect for this Abingdon team,  they are well coached with good athletes and they now believe they can win every game,  and that makes them very dangerous ! 

Whichever of these 2 teams makes the least mistakes and doesn't let the big game atmosphere get to them will win this game,  man it's going to be fun to see.

I haven't played in over 35 years,  but I have that little nervous stomach in me that I use to get before a big game back then................oh,  wait a minute,  it's just a bad case of gas,  we had chili for dinner tonight.......sorry about that.....

No doubt this is going to be a great atmosphere.  Looking forward to seeing a great game.......and we aren't going to have to watch it in the rain like we did a few weeks ago.  Excellent weather, huge crowd and 2 good teams......fun for fans and fun for the players......coaches???? Not sure how much fun it will be for either staff :)

Win or lose, this game should be excellent preparation for the playoff games that start soon.  Hoping that Falcons can at least host a first round game.  Richlands has home field covered for their first game and might get 2...who knows what everyone else will do.

Every year you jackarses want some Falconman.  You remind me of all the dames out there who are just trying to hang with the man, the myth, the legend:  FALCONMAN.  A couple of keystrokes on here and you guys become entertained, enraged and fulfilled.  Happy to provide a service to you jokers!.  Speaking of jokers,  I’m about tired of hearing the term “Storm Warning†every time we play the naders you fat arses bring it up. Well, after watching you last year at FALCON HILL, and some highlights of you this year, it’s more like “SNORE WARNING!†I yawn at the notion that you are on the level of my FALCONS!  What is there to do over there in Richlands besides go to Walmart, eat fast food, and sit your fat arses in front of a tv & become inspired by the former Kardashian star Bruce Jenner.  I bet the WHOLE TOWN  haS special viewings of  his new show “I AM KAT†at the local pizza store or movie theatre (if you have one).  Let me go ahead and patton this hash tag #snorewarning.  Twitter will be buzzing tomorrow night with that one boys. Questions for the game: can the Falcons win the special team battle?  Can the naders slow down the Falcon Express?  With speed and precision on our Offense we are probably going to OFFEND the onlookers and maybe even inspire a few naders to believe in the FALCONS.  WE’RE NOT 7-0 FOR NOTHING!!  Just ask Christiansburg,  faster than lightning and precise as surgeon worked on Adrain Petterson’s knee.  Sources were quoted saying – “Doc you realize you’re working on a $50 milion knee, don’t you need some help, a wingman? Doc replied, “who needs a wingman when you’re a kamikaze!†We all know A.P. is playing because that Dr was the best and so are my Falcons.  Finally, I’ve decided to properly prepare for this game because last year it caught me off guard.  They say confession is good for the FOOT.  I must confess I wasn’t properly prepared for the beat down my Falcons did last year!  This year will be different.  Tomorrow I am going to eat my breakfast, drink me a bloody mary, & go see the chiropractor.  I am going to say, “Doc get my hips loose and make sure I’m properly adjusted because I’m going to Whip & Bae Bae on the “R†after we take down the blownaders tonight!† GO FALCONS!!!! #SNOREWARNING #IAMKAT #FEARTHEBEAK #WHIPONTHE-R

PS:  Who is Union?

Razor, for some reason I get the feeling you must park a long way from the stadium, huh? How about I park in Claypool hill at Advance auto and carpool in from there with you? Will you pick me up and drop me off at the gate??? Lol. See you guys tomorrow.

My daddy told me to stay off the board but just like when I was in middle school and in love I just couldn't stay away. I remember coming home to mom several times and she would comfort me and tell me its going to be ok. I always felt better after mom talked to me and assured me things would work out. Look how far I've come now. Wow! Well lets get to the game of the week in Rednecklands (daddy calls it that and laughs). Do you guys want to take a trip down memory lane? If I recall me and Falconman warned you several times that domination was coming. Did you guys listen? Most of you were to busy with your cigarettes and chewing tobacco you didnt pay attention! Speaking of that if anyone gets around me tomorrow night with a cigarette or spits I will go straight to a 5-0. You have been warned! The rest of you its time to stand up and salute the Falcons!!!! The only concern I have for this game is the illegal whistles. When I played against Richlands daddy said I would have had 20 tackles or so but people kept blowing whistles in the crowd. By the way 1 of there touchdowns came because of this. My dad called the VHSL to report this behavior totally uncalled for!! I felt sick most of the next day because people were smoking inside the stadium during the game. NEWSFLASH you bunch of rednecks but this is against the LAW! ENOUGH ABOUT THESE IGNORANT ISSUES ON THE FIELD OF PLAY WE ARE AT LEAST 21 POINTS BETTER. Dad told me a story last night about the game tomorrow. He said Stripes got out of the house last week and wanted to play in the yard when the neighborhood bully a pit bull dog came by and chased him up a tree. Daddy came out of the house and saved Stripes by running the dog off when Stripes came out of the tree he was shaking and scared. Dad took him inside and thought of this example as the Falcons being the pit bull and Richlands being Stripes. He smiled at me and said if the referees don't step in this could get ugly. Dad always had good stories to motivate me and Falconman to always give our best and want more. Ha ha!! Dad said Stripes is happy and the Falcons will win 45-21. Anyone for victory tacos?

Razor, for some reason I get the feeling you must park a long way from the stadium, huh? How about I park in Claypool hill at Advance auto and carpool in from there with you? Will you pick me up and drop me off at the gate??? Lol. See you guys tomorrow.

I actually have reserved parking behind the stadium about 15 yards from the gate but of course I would pick you up as long as you would wear a lightening R.........lol

Every year you jackarses want some Falconman. You remind me of all the dames out there who are just trying to hang with the man, the myth, the legend: FALCONMAN. A couple of keystrokes on here and you guys become entertained, enraged and fulfilled. Happy to provide a service to you jokers!. Speaking of jokers, I’m about tired of hearing the term “Storm Warning†every time we play the naders you fat arses bring it up. Well, after watching you last year at FALCON HILL, and some highlights of you this year, it’s more like “SNORE WARNING!†I yawn at the notion that you are on the level of my FALCONS! What is there to do over there in Richlands besides go to Walmart, eat fast food, and sit your fat arses in front of a tv & become inspired by the former Kardashian star Bruce Jenner. I bet the WHOLE TOWN haS special viewings of his new show “I AM KAT†at the local pizza store or movie theatre (if you have one). Let me go ahead and patton this hash tag #snorewarning. Twitter will be buzzing tomorrow night with that one boys. Questions for the game: can the Falcons win the special team battle? Can the naders slow down the Falcon Express? With speed and precision on our Offense we are probably going to OFFEND the onlookers and maybe even inspire a few naders to believe in the FALCONS. WE’RE NOT 7-0 FOR NOTHING!! Just ask Christiansburg, faster than lightning and precise as surgeon worked on Adrain Petterson’s knee. Sources were quoted saying – “Doc you realize you’re working on a $50 milion knee, don’t you need some help, a wingman? Doc replied, “who needs a wingman when you’re a kamikaze!†We all know A.P. is playing because that Dr was the best and so are my Falcons. Finally, I’ve decided to properly prepare for this game because last year it caught me off guard. They say confession is good for the FOOT. I must confess I wasn’t properly prepared for the beat down my Falcons did last year! This year will be different. Tomorrow I am going to eat my breakfast, drink me a bloody mary, & go see the chiropractor. I am going to say, “Doc get my hips loose and make sure I’m properly adjusted because I’m going to Whip & Bae Bae on the “R†after we take down the blownaders tonight!†GO FALCONS!!!! #SNOREWARNING #IAMKAT #FEARTHEBEAK #WHIPONTHE-R

PS: Who is Union?

You are pretty SPECIAL. You made my day I'm ashamed to say. Can you be so gracious to us blownaders and give us a break down and thoughts about the players and how its going to go?

Why not let my first post set the pace for how accurate and informative I am... But please, don't take my opinion any more serious than anyone elses! ;) 

Because it's High School football, its hard to "compare" teams based on the opponents they have faced, but if we were to compare.... Richlands would definitely win the comparison. Also keep in mind, teams have a tendency to get better as the season progresses, which makes it even harder to compare. But let's do a real comparison based on facts...

Defensive battle?

Abingdon's defense allowed a Graham offense to score 47 points, Richlands allowed 7. 
Abingdon's defense allowed a Gate City offense to score 26 points, Richlands allowed 7.

*Note - some of those scores might have came late in the game, but ultimately they are still points...

Strength of schedule?

From a season as a whole, both teams struggle to find opponents that can "keep up" so to speak... But if we were to look at the top 2 teams that each have played...

Abingdon 49 Christiansburg 12 -- Christiansburg is a 3A school, so they have to be considered a top team when comparing to a 2A school(Especially with the other opponents that Abingdon has faced). FALCONMAN mentioned Christiansburg's speed... Is this the same speed that has led this Christiansburg team to 1 win this season? I'm not buying it... Go play Bluefield and come talk to me about "speed". 

Abingdon 28 Blacksburg 27(OT) -- Now Blacksburg can be considered a top team on the schedule. This team has potential but unfortunately has only won 3 games this season... Granted they have a new head coach in Thad Wells which has an offensive mind like no other(A Blue Tornado might I add). And one of those loses is to a very good Salem team. Props Abingdon for winning the nail-biter. 

Richlands 41 Union 42 -- Arguably the best team in 2A West, Union is undefeated for the season and sits at #1 for 2A West. Is there a need to mention anything else? 

Richlands 45 Bluefield 30 -- Currently ranked #4 in 2A in West Virginia(#2 before losing to Richlands). Here's the speed you speak of, FALCONMAN. 

In closing...

I think both teams are going to come ready to play, the coaches are going to make sure they are prepared as they have the entire season. Both teams are going to score points and show some parts of the offense that they probably haven't seen much on film. Ultimately, I think this game is won on defense. I don't think Abingdon has seen a defense like this all season. Abingdon needs to find a way to pick apart this defense to have a chance. Dave Thorson said it best when it said "Offense sells the tickets, but defense wins championships."

Props to Abingdon for a great season, but unfortunately I don't think they win this one at Ernie Hicks...

Richlands 42

Abingdon 21

None of the "comparisons" mean anything. The scores, how the defenses have done so far this season, it means nothing to this game. This game is about who wants it most. Both defenses will play harder than they have played all season and STILL get scored on more than they have been scored on all season. Both of these teams have only had 1-2 game(s) each that the starters played all 4 quarters so the score comparisons mean nothing. The team who toughs it out and plays with heart in Q4/OT will win this one.

Guys, I appreciate everyone's prediction here, I truly do. I will say it continues to amaze me though, that people were making the exact same predictions last year......RHS by 21, RHS in a blowout, etc. That didn't work out so well for those predictors. Yes, RHS won this game 11 or 12 straight years until last year. And last year AHS won convincingly. The year before that RHS needed a last second TD pass to win and that was AT Richlands against a Bowles coached team. Last year RHS touted a stellar QB and a great D....and they both were very good. Same as this year. RHS did have a stellar return man who I think now plays at Emory and Henry. So my question is this.....what makes Richlands folks think this year will be different than last? Not being a smarta$$. Serious question. AHS returns the same QB that sliced the RHS DBs up all night. They return all the same receivers. The AHS d line lost 2 starters but the backups last year played very well and are now starters. AHS lost a RB to VHS but who is more productive this year....the VHS kid or the current RB? I know RHS picked up Blankenship but AHS shut him down when they played Tazewell. I know he had been sick but to allow that into the conversation and not point out that when AHS played Graham it was a torrential downpour just before the game and it rained off and on during the game is unfair. And didn't RHS beat Gate City last year? Gate City beat AHS last year. And yet, AHS beat RHS last year. Wow, so many variables. So, I guess what I'm asking is RHS that much better than last year? And if so, why did they lose to Union again this year? What makes everyone pick RHS in this game? I think it's just plain ol' history and heart. Plus, there's like 20 times more RHS folks on here compared to AHS folks....lol. Hey, RHS might very well blow AHS up tomorrow night. They just might. But if they do it won't be because of the previous 12 years or just because you want them to. I said alllll that to say this.....we can throw ALL predictions out the window in this one. This is just going to be a "strap'em on and line'em up" type game. Would you want it any other way? Sorry I rambled and please know I'm not being a jerk with some of the stuff I said. I've not even seen RHS play this year so they could very well be better than last year. Just trying to make valid points is all. Best of luck to both teams and hoping everyone stays healthy!! (This is my Friday post but I'm afraid I won't get a chance to post it tomorrow).

This Richlands team is twice the Richlands team you beat last year. This team has a better defense all around. We have better athletes in the secondary. Also, last year you got a very hurt Richlands team on defense. We didn't have our best cover corner, and and played a freshman in his place. I promise you the defense you will see in 24 hours is FAR AND AWAY superior to last years team.

On offense, we had a QB with a good arm, but accuracy issues. He was a better runner than a passer, and everyone knew it. Asbury is NOT River. At all. Asbury has the ability to pick apart the Abingdon defense. I'll say it now, your defense won't see a better offense in the regular season. We average the 5th most points a game in the state. And in every game but two, we've pulled our starters in the 2nd or 3rd quarter.

That's why we are confident. This is the best Richlands team since 2010 by a long shot. And they may go down in our history books even further.

I promise the boys are ready. Abingdon is good. We overlooked them last year. You have their attention now.

Just how I see it anyway.

Well first of all I would like to congratulate the Falcons for making such a turn around in just two years. Its a lot of fun for the whole town and not just the football team when you are winning as you guys are now. CONGRATULATIONS!

I think these two teams are a good match up for both sides. John Luke and Jake are both great QBs and probably as good as there are in the state. Both have a great supporting cast of athletic recievers and good protection on the line. Both have very good running backs and they both have a good grasp on the offenses they run. The QB match up should be a great one. The offenses are probably a draw because I believe Richlands is a little better in some areas and Abingdon in others.

I think as a lot of other members have stated that Richlands has the edge on defense. Big and very physical up front and good size and athletic on the ends. Our linebackers are in my opinion as good of a duo as I have seen in a while. Addison and Wade are playing at a very high level and will absolutely lay it on you. our DBs have height and speed with very good cover skills which will be highly tested by Yates, Wallace, Widner and Salvo for sure. Abingdon has several very good players on D also......Fannon, Doss, Ketchum, Crosswhite, Counts, Yates, Counts and Vandyke. Counts is a very good linebacker and physical.

I would definitely give the kicking game edge to Abingdon and the return edge to Richlands. The game is being played at Ernie so that will benefit the Blues as well . As in most match ups where the two teams are very similar, you will have to figure turnovers and penalties will have a huge say in who wins this game

When it all comes down to it, the biggest factor for me will be execution. Whoever executes the game plan the best will have a great shot at winning. you have to line up man against man and beat yours. There will be a whole field full of athletes on the field tomorrow night and for us as fans.... it ought to be a lot of fun to watch. Two great teams that want to win very badly. It will be full and very loud. The boys will have a great atmosphere to play in and may the better team win! Safe travels Falcon fans!

Richlands - 45

Abingdon -31 

We have been blessed to witness some very good teams over time. So when we look at this team we have some experience in what we see.  They rate in the top four I would think, 1992, 2006, 2010, and this year.  Total team speed and strength ranks right up there if not the best. They are another level above what you seen last year, deeper at receiver,  deeper secondary, faster and stronger in the D, one benching 400 many others in the 300 range and will flat out lay the wood.   Very solid O line. Solid running attack.  And a QB working on bettering our best.

Last year you may have been over looked a little but you have made sure that want happen this year.

Sometimes I try to imagine how this team would have matched up with Wilson last year and Wilson took the state game to overtime. 

2A is at a whole other level this year.  Union is at another level from last year.

Abingdon is at a level we haven't seen before, so who knows but we shall soon find out.