Abingdon @ Richlands; SWD Title Game

V-Cats

As a Union fan and having watched Richlands, I think the Blues wins this one easily. Good coaching, disciplined players and big game experience, will be the deciding factor in this game. I don't know much about Abingdon, but Richlands just doesn't get rattled when faced with adversity. To me this is more of whether or not the Falcons have arrived. Wish they would change the date because I'd liked to see this game. It's at Ernie, the Blues are hitting on all cylinders so I don't see Abingdon leaving with a victory. Jmo

Saturday is out.....UT vs Bama......and one of these days we are going to beat them and I want to see it again.

Razor has been very complimentary of AHS, no doubt. In an earlier post in a different thread I mentioned my concerns and was complimentary of RHS. But when it comes down to game week people start talking smack. That's what makes it fun. The only problem is that there are TONS more RHS fans on here than AHS fans.....so I learned long ago that if you want to talk smack against RHS you must do it cordially, with manners....whilst they run their mouth how ever they see fit. Lol

I'd say Reed/Colobro have a game plan that hasn't been seen thus far. Schemes, match ups, etc. Remember, this ain't a Bowles coached team any more. They devised a heck of a game plan last year. That's the one good thing about playing a team with long term head coach.....they show consistencies, habits, designs, etc, so a good opposing staff can scheme against them. Now granted, Mance is one heck of a good coach, no doubt. But I guarantee you he's scratching his head more this week asking himself what is AHS going to do then vice versa. It's going to be a very good game. I'm picking AHS for many reasons....Sturgill is whale of a QB that has a great head on his shoulders, has some great receivers, etc......but the main reason I'm picking them is Reed/Colobro. Which I know it sounds weird to pick coaches being the difference when you are going against Mance but I explained that above. Coaching (play calls) were the difference last year. I lied, the main reason I'm picking AHS is just because I want them to win. And if everyone else was honest they would say the same. This isn't RHS vs Grundy or AHS vs VHS. This game matches up so well on paper that they only way to pick who you think wins is to go with emotion. RHS wants revenge and AHS wants to go undefeated. Who wants what they want more?

See you guys Friday.

That's a great post BigO.

Thanks razor!

Parson, Sturgill is listed as 6'3" I think. Somebody on here may know for sure, I'm just trying to recall what the roster shows. I know he's well over 6' for sure.

Thanks razor!

Parson, Sturgill is listed as 6'3" I think. Somebody on here may know for sure, I'm just trying to recall what the roster shows. I know he's well over 6' for sure.

Thanks.  I had car trouble on the way to last year's game and didn't get to see him in action.

I'm pretty sure he is 6"2. I'm sure he is going to get taller though. I know Jake personally and his family. Jake is not only one of the best Qaurbacks to play in this end of the state.....he is a great student and fine young man. Lot of potential there. The scary thing is he is going to get better. He has all the tools to play D1 in my opinion. A lot of people say that if they have a star player on their team on Friday nights. If they are truly D1 talent......they will stick out has head and shoulders above everybody else and then and even then very few really are. I have seen two players this year I think can play D1 and other are Sturgill and Gavin. There are a few more that can but we will just have to wait and see.

I will talk about our boys later on in the week but this was about Jake and he is the REAL DEAL.

I believe he was at like 1366 yds not counting the 440 yds he put up this past Friday in the first half against VHS and possibly 18-20 TD's.  he has to be over 500 yds rushing, (might be less) with 5-6 rushing TD's.  We will have a more accurate count when the paper comes out Friday.  I know he and Ashbury are neck and neck in the stats.

I'm speaking out of turn here because I'm not 100% sure on these numbers but if I recall correctly he had over 1600 yds passing and 20 TDs before this past weekends game vs VHS. I think he was responsible for 5 TDs in that game. I don't remember his passing yards from that game. But I'd say he either eclipsed the 2000 yd mark or came really close. The kid is only a junior and he's got D1 schools looking hard. What are Asburys stats? I know he's done well too. That's a big part of what makes this game so intriguing. I didn't get to make it to Richlands for the game 2 years ago so correct me if I'm wrong but didn't RHS win that one on a last second TD pass?

Saturday is out.....UT vs Bama......and one of these days we are going to beat them and I want to see it again.

Razor has been very complimentary of AHS, no doubt. In an earlier post in a different thread I mentioned my concerns and was complimentary of RHS. But when it comes down to game week people start talking smack. That's what makes it fun. The only problem is that there are TONS more RHS fans on here than AHS fans.....so I learned long ago that if you want to talk smack against RHS you must do it cordially, with manners....whilst they run their mouth how ever they see fit. Lol

I'd say Reed/Colobro have a game plan that hasn't been seen thus far. Schemes, match ups, etc. Remember, this ain't a Bowles coached team any more. They devised a heck of a game plan last year. That's the one good thing about playing a team with long term head coach.....they show consistencies, habits, designs, etc, so a good opposing staff can scheme against them. Now granted, Mance is one heck of a good coach, no doubt. But I guarantee you he's scratching his head more this week asking himself what is AHS going to do then vice versa. It's going to be a very good game. I'm picking AHS for many reasons....Sturgill is whale of a QB that has a great head on his shoulders, has some great receivers, etc......but the main reason I'm picking them is Reed/Colobro. Which I know it sounds weird to pick coaches being the difference when you are going against Mance but I explained that above. Coaching (play calls) were the difference last year. I lied, the main reason I'm picking AHS is just because I want them to win. And if everyone else was honest they would say the same. This isn't RHS vs Grundy or AHS vs VHS. This game matches up so well on paper that they only way to pick who you think wins is to go with emotion. RHS wants revenge and AHS wants to go undefeated. Who wants what they want more?

See you guys Friday.

Im sure UT will beat Bama again someday, just not this week :P

He is a junior.  D1 schools cant contact him if i remember correctly.  That would be  a recruiting violation.  He can attend junior camps and such.  I dont believe they can directly recruit him till he is a senior?  I may be wrong though.  He can unofficially visit any school he wants.  But I believe he has to wait till senior year to make official visits.

He is a junior.  D1 schools cant contact him if i remember correctly.  That would be  a recruiting violation.  He can attend junior camps and such.  I dont believe they can directly recruit him till he is a senior?  I may be wrong though.  He can unofficially visit any school he wants.  But I believe he has to wait till senior year to make official visits.

That's true. He can visit camps and such but schools cannot contact kids until their senior season.

I'm speaking out of turn here because I'm not 100% sure on these numbers but if I recall correctly he had over 1600 yds passing and 20 TDs before this past weekends game vs VHS. I think he was responsible for 5 TDs in that game. I don't remember his passing yards from that game. But I'd say he either eclipsed the 2000 yd mark or came really close. The kid is only a junior and he's got D1 schools looking hard. What are Asburys stats? I know he's done well too. That's a big part of what makes this game so intriguing. I didn't get to make it to Richlands for the game 2 years ago so correct me if I'm wrong but didn't RHS win that one on a last second TD pass?

1,976 yards. 28 touchdowns. 4 INT. He hasn't thrown a pick since Union in week 2.

Correct. Won on a last second pass.

Is there a place to look at every teams stats, or is there a place just to see Richlands' stats?

There's not a place to see any stats, unless they are in the BDT. Lol. I've just kept a tally on Asburys.

I always get a kick out of these types of strings/posts.  They almost always follow the same formula.  I "pick this team" by a score of (fill in the blank).  Then somebody's nose gets out of joint and demands to know how/why you could possibly have made that prediction.  Then somebody throws the "we beat this by 50 and you only beat them by 40 so we are going to win".  Then, somebody else points out that it rained/snowed/ or some other phenomena occurred.  Then somebody defends the first prediction (but then wishes everybody good luck).  Somebody defends EVERYBODY else's picks and then tells everybody to grow up.  Egos are bruised, opinions are bashed, etc.  Then, at the end of the day, the losing side lavishes credit on the team they just lost to.  A love fest ensues (among most, not all).  Then we do it all over again.

Yeah, I know before it is said..."if we didn't argue back and forth it wouldn't be any fun..."  But some get SOOOOO worked up over other people's predictions against THEIR boys.  I am not saying that there is anything wrong with any of this; it is just comical to see/read the posts and know almost exactly what the responses will be.

Personally, I seldom make predictions on high school sporting events.  There are too many variables at play.  16-18 year old boys (or 20 somethings if speaking of GC) are way too easily affected by Mary Jane Rottencrotch breaking up with him; or failing an English test; or not having gas money; or reading message board BS posts; or whatever. 

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a game up here in the Valley where one team was clearly better, based on records, like opponents, etc.  But they lost because of the inspired play of one RB who was reportedly "pissed" off because a player from the other team insulted his truck on a message board!  That brought back memories from Fast Times at Ridgemont High...check it out for those of you too young to have seen the flick. 

And just what is the point of this post you may ask.  There is no point.  It is just an observation; one person's opinion.  Just like predictions are one person's opinion. 

Following is an article on a local kid  in metro ATL  who just entered the ninth grade at Grayson  HS  in Gwinnett County and had 11 offers before he actually entered HS, the young man's name is Owen Pappoe.

Following is an excerpt from a Yahoo article about Pappoe:

NCAA rules prevent football players from signing binding letters of intent until February of their senior year and prohibit college coaches from initiating contact with prospects until July after their junior year, but those restrictions have done little to slow down the recruiting process. Savvy college coaches contact potential recruits through their high school coaches or other third parties because once the prospect is alerted, he can reach out himself directly with few limitations on how often he can call or visit.

Very interesting read about Pappoe and early offers...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/the-turnstile/linebacker-has-11-scholarship-offers-before-starting-high-school-131322944.html

The stats for each district are in the box scores of the Bristol Herald Courier on Friday's

Last week's paper 10/16 stats for Sturgill

Sturgill had 21 passing TD's--- adding the 5 thrown Friday night against Va High that would make him with 26 passing TD's

Sturgill had 5 rushing TD's on 63 carries for 411 yds--adding one rushing TD against Va High that would make him with 6 rushing TD's

His HUDL bio says for the season he has 2,055 passing yards and 439 rushing yards and 30 total TD's

So there is a discrepancy of 2 TD's between BHC stats and HUDL stats

He is listed as 6' 3"

200 lbs

4.91- 40 yd dash