Abingdon @ Richlands; SWD Title Game

V-Cats

If parents want to transfer their kids to a succesful school then so what? If i lived in the area i would definitely send my kids to Richlands. They have a great tradition going on over there, and I would want Mance to coach my son. The Tornado community in itself is just wonderful. Ive been through there a few times and have nothing bad to say about any of the people. So polite and respectful. I would put them with Giles as the most respected places i have been to in my years.

I have been an active reader of the posts placed on this board. I rarely every post anything. But I have to say that on ANY GIVEN FRIDAY NIGHT any team can win. Its about desire and execution. Every paper matchup goes out the window. The winner of this game will take advantage of big plays and have less turnovers. Both teams are very good. The strength of schedule, this year goes to the Blues. But that isn't to take anything away from the Falcons. Richlands was down to VHS at the end of the first quarter and then they double teamed Sewell, he still scored 14 points in the game. Sewell didn't score against Abingdon and was single man coverage. Everyone keeps talking about the points scored in the Graham game... or should I say the points allowed. Abingdon had a 24 point advantage and made wholesale changes and put their second and third team defense in to keep from getting players injured. The G-Men scored 14 points on those defenses. A 24 point advantage would look a lot different at the end of the game instead of 10.

When teams reach the caliber of Richlands, Union and now Abingdon, everyone brings their big gun to aim at them. Everyone wants to knock them off. Any Given Friday! Tonight's game should be a great game for the area. Large crown, big hipe, and when 11 young men strap it on that's when it will be settled. No matter who wins this game, the two programs will be representing this end of the state in the playoffs. Let's hope for no injuries and a great game to watch. 

If parents want to transfer their kids to a succesful school then so what? If i lived in the area i would definitely send my kids to Richlands. They have a great tradition going on over there, and I would want Mance to coach my son. The Tornado community in itself is just wonderful. Ive been through there a few times and have nothing bad to say about any of the people. So polite and respectful. I would put them with Giles as the most respected places i have been to in my years.

Choosing a school for your children based upon the football program is a horrible idea. Since the primary function of schools is education, one would imagine that finding a school that is best at education would be most reasonable.

Two notes:

One, if a parent's job/home is located in a particular area, it doesn't make sense to transfer. But that's not the situation in this hypothetical. Two, I'm not saying that Richlands is poor at education. It's not. However, given the stated rationale here, the poster would send his/her kids to DerpADerp High if the football program, coach, and "community" (too narrowly tailored) were good.

Choosing a school for your children based upon the football program is a horrible idea. Since the primary function of schools is education, one would imagine that finding a school that is best at education would be most reasonable.

Two notes:

One, if a parent's job/home is located in a particular area, it doesn't make sense to transfer. But that's not the situation in this hypothetical. Two, I'm not saying that Richlands is poor at education. It's not. However, given the stated rationale here, the poster would send his/her kids to DerpADerp High if the football program, coach, and "community" (too narrowly tailored) were good.

I get what he was saying. If you're a parent and your kid is gifted at football/basketball/baseball and of by transferring him to a better school in said sport to gain the possibility of collegiate exposure and a possible free education, then I can understand it.

Two notes:

I understand what you are saying and I didnt mean to do it just for football. I consider Richlands high school itself as a successful place that is sourrounded by a great community and yes if i had a son that was very talented and thought he was good enough to get a scholorship in football i would send him to Richlands over a school like Grundy. But thats just me.

People always bring up transfers. Im pretty sure when they won their 2 state championships they didnt have any OUT OF TOWNERS.

They did have some funky cleats though...at least for one...that we know of anyway.

I always wait until game day for my prediction.  I feel that both offenses are really good but I say the Richlands defense makes just a couple more stops than Abingdon's defense.  I am going with:

Richlands 42

Abingdon 21

I understand what you are saying and I didnt mean to do it just for football. I consider Richlands high school itself as a successful place that is sourrounded by a great community and yes if i had a son that was very talented and thought he was good enough to get a scholorship in football i would send him to Richlands over a school like Grundy. But thats just me. 

NIce point.  I would also like to add that kids only go thru the teen experience once, and experiences and memories developed from participating with a successful high school athletic team can last a lifetime.  If a family faces no additional economic hardship, and there's no significant difference in the quality of education, I can understand why any parent would make that move.

I get what he was saying. If you're a parent and your kid is gifted at football/basketball/baseball and of by transferring him to a better school in said sport to gain the possibility of collegiate exposure and a possible free education, then I can understand it.

Even so, how many kids does this affect? 1%? Less?! If you're sub-D1 caliber, colleges will find you regardless of whether you're at Richlands or Rye Cove.

And on the D1 level, SWVA is still held in about as low regard as you can imagine. Transferring from one school to another is like transferring a young trout from a tiny, algae-ridden trout pond to a slightly larger, cleaner trout pond. It's still a trout pond, not a stream.

FWIW, guess which SWVA school has put the most athletes into the FBS this decade? Hint: it isn't Richlands. Not a knock against Richlands, but more an indication that "OMG GOTTA TRANSFER MY SON TO RICHLANDS" is far less than foolproof.

I understand what you are saying and I didnt mean to do it just for football. I consider Richlands high school itself as a successful place that is sourrounded by a great community and yes if i had a son that was very talented and thought he was good enough to get a scholorship in football i would send him to Richlands over a school like Grundy. But thats just me.

I was probably a bit too harsh in my initial post, and I apologize for that.

If I were moving in from out of the area, it may be a tiebreaker consideration if I have an athlete that shows some D1 promise. I still think education trumps all. Thankfully (for purposes of this example only), Buchanan County Public Schools are one step below an Amtrak detrailment, and it would make it a pretty easy call.

I was probably a bit too harsh in my initial post, and I apologize for that.

If I were moving in from out of the area, it may be a tiebreaker consideration if I have an athlete that shows some D1 promise. I still think education trumps all. Thankfully (for purposes of this example only), Buchanan County Public Schools are one step below an Amtrak detrailment, and it would make it a pretty easy call.

I agree i would not send to my son to a school that has 10 championships in football but only a 50% passing rate in academics. You will not find that very often though in SWVA. You can be the next Michael Vick but if you cant count to 10 then you will end up flipping burgers

Thank the good Lord that no one else in the Southern West Virginia, Southwest Virginia, Northeast Tennessee, or Eastern Kentucky region has ever gained an advantage athletically due to someone from outside the area in which they are representing come in and participate in sports besides Richlands.... 

I agree i would not send to my son to a school that has 10 championships in football but only a 50% passing rate in academics. You will not find that very often though in SWVA. You can be the next Michael Vick but if you cant count to 10 then you will end up flipping burgers

Not sure if Vick could could count to 10 actually...

I firmly believe that if Richlands hasn't had a run of success no one would say a word about people coming in. It's the same song and dance every year from the outsiders looking in. There are kids transferring to play at plenty of other schools besides Richlands. Quit beating a dead horse in the ground. Last time I checked, there wasn't a superior academic power in SWVA either, so that argument is also invalid

I firmly believe that if Richlands hasn't had a run of success no one would say a word about people coming in. It's the same song and dance every year from the outsiders looking in. There are kids transferring to play at plenty of other schools besides Richlands. Quit beating a dead horse in the ground. Last time I checked, there wasn't a superior academic power in SWVA either, so that argument is also invalid

Two things:

One, I implore you to go back and read my posts again, because nowhere have I specifically bashed Richlands for accepting those who transfer there. (Of course they would, and should.) I'm criticizing the parents who use football as the basis of such a transfer. Richlands is was the example used in the original illustration, which was NOT mine. I'm not beating a dead horse at all, much less doing so "in the ground". Turn the sensitivity meter down a few dozen notches.

Second, there's objective data that does reveal that some schools are academically superior to others. Not only by standardized test scores, but by course offerings, etc. There's no TJHSST around here, and there's no decaying inner-city schools. But there are schools that are objectively academically superior to others.

As Styx said, "you're fooling yourself if you don't believe it."

Going with my Big Blues in this one--

Keys to win--

Establish the running game early

Play of our  DB's (can't play soft coverage or give them YAC)

Limit T/O's

I hope someone will be posting the scoring online, Lord willing, I am going to be at the Ernie tonight rooting for my BLUES

GO BIG BLUES!!!! 

PUT A "W" NEXT TO THAT LIGHTING R

Going with my Big Blues in this one--

Keys to win--

Establish the running game early

Play of our  DB's (can't play soft coverage or give them YAC)

Limit T/O's

I hope someone will be posting the scoring online, Lord willing, I am going to be at the Ernie tonight rooting for my BLUES

GO BIG BLUES!!!! 

PUT A "W" NEXT TO THAT LIGHTING R

Im pretty sure those are the very "keys to win" in every game Ive seen or been involved with.  The one thing you may have left out was "Win one for the Gipper".  Just kidding.  I really do want to see a great game, played by some outstanding athletes.  Lets hope that nobody is injured and both teams make a deep playoff run.

Two things:

Second, there's objective data that does reveal that some schools are academically superior to others. Not only by standardized test scores, but by course offerings, etc. There's no TJHSST around here, and there's no decaying inner-city schools. But there are schools that are objectively academically superior to others.

Im sure the average transfer to Richlands will be or has been

devastated by their their lack of educational opportunities following graduation.

Richlands is was the example used in the original illustration, which was NOT mine. I'm not beating a dead horse at all, much less doing so "in the ground". Turn the sensitivity meter down a few dozen notches.

Nowhere did I indicate this was towards you in anyway. I made a general statement towards the whole matter being discussed. Folks brought their opinions to the party, why not bring mine also? Sensitivity meter? Not even turned up, don't even have one of those. 

I believe I know that some schools are more academically superior than others. The past two years I have been at Tech I have realized that BIG time. The schools in SWVA academically do not hold a candle to the schools in NOVA. That is just a fact. I was sitting with a girl in class one day that said their high school course were tougher than some classes she was in now, to which I was shocked to hear. I have yet to hear any of my fellow colleagues from SWVA make the same argument. 

Yes, some schools offer more courses than other, I have known this as well. I have met people from Abingdon who took classes in high school that they did not offer at Richlands, while I have met people from Tazewell who were shocked at something I was able to take at Richlands. My point in that discussion, is there is not a high school that parents are dying to get their kid to go to on our end of the state. It isn't like college where you have to go to UVA because this program is the best, or you have to go to VT because this program is the best.