Abingdon @ Richlands; SWD Title Game

V-Cats

I always get a kick out of these types of strings/posts. They almost always follow the same formula. I "pick this team" by a score of (fill in the blank). Then somebody's nose gets out of joint and demands to know why you could possibly have made that prediction. Then somebody throws the "we beat this by 50 and you only beat them by 40 so we are going to win". Then, somebody else points out that it rained/snowed/ or some other phenomena occurred. Then somebody defends the first prediction (but then wishes everybody good luck). Somebody defends EVERYBODY else's picks and then tells everybody to grow up. Egos are bruised, opinions are bashed, etc. Then, at the end of the day, the losing side lavishes credit on the team they just lost to. A love fest ensues (among most, not all). Then we do it all over again.

Yeah, I know before it is said..."if we didn't argue back and forth it wouldn't be any fun..." But some get SOOOOO worked up over other people's predictions against THEIR boys. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with any of this; it is just comical to see/read the posts and know almost exactly what the responses will be.

Personally, I seldom make predictions on high school sporting events. There are too many variables at play. 16-18 year old boys (or 20 somethings if speaking of GC) are way too easily affected by Mary Jane Rottencrotch breaking up with him; or failing an English test; or not having gas money; or reading message board BS posts; or whatever.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a game up here in the Valley where one team was clearly better, based on records, like opponents, etc. But they lost because of the inspired play of one RB who was reportedly "pissed" off because a player from the other team insulted his truck on a message board! That brought back memories from Fast Times at Ridgemont High...check it out for those of you too young to have seen the flick.

And just what is the point of this post you may ask. There is no point. It is just an observation; one person's opinion. Just like predictions are one person's opinion.

So true!

Personally, I seldom make predictions on high school sporting events.  There are too many variables at play.  16-18 year old boys (or 20 somethings if speaking of GC) are way too easily affected by Mary Jane Rottencrotch breaking up with him; or failing an English test; or not having gas money; or reading message board BS posts; or whatever. 

I think i knew Mary Jane...

I always get a kick out of these types of strings/posts. They almost always follow the same formula. I "pick this team" by a score of (fill in the blank). Then somebody's nose gets out of joint and demands to know how/why you could possibly have made that prediction. Then somebody throws the "we beat this by 50 and you only beat them by 40 so we are going to win". Then, somebody else points out that it rained/snowed/ or some other phenomena occurred. Then somebody defends the first prediction (but then wishes everybody good luck). Somebody defends EVERYBODY else's picks and then tells everybody to grow up. Egos are bruised, opinions are bashed, etc. Then, at the end of the day, the losing side lavishes credit on the team they just lost to. A love fest ensues (among most, not all). Then we do it all over again.

Yeah, I know before it is said..."if we didn't argue back and forth it wouldn't be any fun..." But some get SOOOOO worked up over other people's predictions against THEIR boys. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with any of this; it is just comical to see/read the posts and know almost exactly what the responses will be.

Personally, I seldom make predictions on high school sporting events. There are too many variables at play. 16-18 year old boys (or 20 somethings if speaking of GC) are way too easily affected by Mary Jane Rottencrotch breaking up with him; or failing an English test; or not having gas money; or reading message board BS posts; or whatever.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a game up here in the Valley where one team was clearly better, based on records, like opponents, etc. But they lost because of the inspired play of one RB who was reportedly "pissed" off because a player from the other team insulted his truck on a message board! That brought back memories from Fast Times at Ridgemont High...check it out for those of you too young to have seen the flick.

And just what is the point of this post you may ask. There is no point. It is just an observation; one person's opinion. Just like predictions are one person's opinion.

One of the best posts I've ever seen, on this site or otherwise. Bravo!

BigWinners, I don't think the BHC carries the stats online. 

I am from the "dinosaur era" still subscribe to the printed edition, but I wouldn't do that if I could get the Blfd Daily Telegraph here where I live.

I am going to post some stats Friday.  What district are you interested in?

BigWinners, I don't think the BHC carries the stats online. 

I am from the "dinosaur era" still subscribe to the printed edition, but I wouldn't do that if I could get the Blfd Daily Telegraph here where I live.

I am going to post some stats Friday.  What district are you interested in?

I would be interested in the HOGO stats, I know already that your going to do the SWD.

Richlands hasn't faced a better team then what they will face when Falcon Nation rolls in. Abingdon 35-21

Union and Bluefield are as tough as you will see around here. I admire your love for your team but you obviously forgot about these two. Abingdon has a great team this year and we are about to find out if they are good enough.

I can't wait and I gaurentee you the Blues can't wait! Should be a great game and huge crowd.....everything a High School football fan could ask for

Annnnnnd, it begins. I'd say something but then someone else would say something to top it, then I'd say something to top that then they'd something to top that then I'd say something to top that then they'd something to top that then I'd say something to top that....and then it'd be Friday......at least the week would go faster.

Annnnnnd, it begins. I'd say something but then someone else would say something to top it, then I'd say something to top that then they'd something to top that then I'd say something to top that then they'd something to top that then I'd say something to top that....and then it'd be Friday......at least the week would go faster.

So true.

I can't say something to top that one.......well done BigO

I'm not a fan of the Falcons but I am a realist. I am here to enlighten the boards with some real talk. That the abingdon Falcons are ten fold better than Bluefield and Union. The tornadoes better strap it on.

TROLL.........

The difference in this game will come down to special teams or which coaching staff can out smart the other with something not expected. Both teams are good and both teams have great strengths and some weaknesses. Both teams will leave it all on the field because they both have something(bragging rights) to fight for. Ahs a win over Rhs and SWD Champs. Rhs beating Ahs giving them their first loss and becoming SWD Champs again.

I respect both teams and the coaching staffs. I believe it will be the best game of the year and may the best team win.

The difference in this game will come down to special teams or which coaching staff can out smart the other with something not expected. Both teams are good and both teams have great strengths and some weaknesses. Both teams will leave it all on the field because they both have something(bragging rights) to fight for. Ahs a win over Rhs and SWD Champs. Rhs beating Ahs giving them their first loss and becoming SWD Champs again.

I respect both teams and the coaching staffs. I believe it will be the best game of the year and may the best team win.

Agreed.