Abingdon @ Richlands; SWD Title Game

V-Cats

No Ball, no Howie, no Blankenship, no Phillips, and I believe that Farris was out with injury by then. Also, I know Atkinson was new.....not sure how much he played.

With the exception of Chase Collins, all the explosive players from this year's team were NA in last year's game.

No Ball, no Howie, no Blankenship, no Phillips, and I believe that Farris was out with injury by then. Also, I know Atkinson was new.....not sure how much he played.

With the exception of Chase Collins, all the explosive players from this year's team were NA in last year's game.

This.

The offenses are close, both are outstanding. I still think this game comes down to defense and special teams. In my opinion Richlands wins. Our DB's are way better than last year, and I would put Wade, Holmes, and Addison in my top high school defensive players in the west. Excited to see how it all plays out.

Why not let my first post set the pace for how accurate and informative I am... But please, don't take my opinion any more serious than anyone elses! ;)

Because it's High School football, its hard to "compare" teams based on the opponents they have faced, but if we were to compare.... Richlands would definitely win the comparison. Also keep in mind, teams have a tendency to get better as the season progresses, which makes it even harder to compare. But let's do a real comparison based on facts...

Defensive battle?

Abingdon's defense allowed a Graham offense to score 47 points, Richlands allowed 7.

Abingdon's defense allowed a Gate City offense to score 26 points, Richlands allowed 7.

*Note - some of those scores might have came late in the game, but ultimately they are still points...

Strength of schedule?

From a season as a whole, both teams struggle to find opponents that can "keep up" so to speak... But if we were to look at the top 2 teams that each have played...

Abingdon 49 Christiansburg 12 -- Christiansburg is a 3A school, so they have to be considered a top team when comparing to a 2A school(Especially with the other opponents that Abingdon has faced). FALCONMAN mentioned Christiansburg's speed... Is this the same speed that has led this Christiansburg team to 1 win this season? I'm not buying it... Go play Bluefield and come talk to me about "speed".

Abingdon 28 Blacksburg 27(OT) -- Now Blacksburg can be considered a top team on the schedule. This team has potential but unfortunately has only won 3 games this season... Granted they have a new head coach in Thad Wells which has an offensive mind like no other(A Blue Tornado might I add). And one of those loses is to a very good Salem team. Props Abingdon for winning the nail-biter.

Richlands 41 Union 42 -- Arguably the best team in 2A West, Union is undefeated for the season and sits at #1 for 2A West. Is there a need to mention anything else?

Richlands 45 Bluefield 30 -- Currently ranked #4 in 2A in West Virginia(#2 before losing to Richlands). Here's the speed you speak of, FALCONMAN.

In closing...

I think both teams are going to come ready to play, the coaches are going to make sure they are prepared as they have the entire season. Both teams are going to score points and show some parts of the offense that they probably haven't seen much on film. Ultimately, I think this game is won on defense. I don't think Abingdon has seen a defense like this all season. Abingdon needs to find a way to pick apart this defense to have a chance. Dave Thorson said it best when it said "Offense sells the tickets, but defense wins championships."

Props to Abingdon for a great season, but unfortunately I don't think they win this one at Ernie Hicks...

Richlands 42

Abingdon 21

Just for the record Richlands defense did not allow Graham or Gate City to score any TDs. Gate City scored on a kickoff return and Graham scored on a fumble returned for a TD. Good luck with THAT Falcons. ;)

Much better team than last year.

R 55 - A 24

and using this to explain why your team lost is why most people bad mouth richlands

Just for the record Richlands defense did not allow Graham or Gate City to score any TDs. Gate City scored on a kickoff return and Graham scored on a fumble returned for a TD. Good luck with THAT Falcons. ;)

Much better team than last year.

R 55 - A 24

If you want to play the who scored more on who game then how did VHS score 20 points on your starting D in one half and barely passed 20yds in one half against ours? Our D is much better than what they have played the first few games. But I don't need to tell you that, in 24 hours you will know..

The falcons don't need luck any more than richlands does naderfan. Brag as much as you want to, your defense is not stopping Sturgill and Co.

They are a much better team than last year too;)

Just trying to have some harmless fun man. Unlike some posters, im not calling anyone rednecks and talking about cigarettes and chewdabakker. I talk football. I stand by my word. Abingdon will need some luck to win this game, more so than Richlands. Defense wins the big ones. Just like last year when Abingdon was knocking Michaels silly.

My prediction???? A huge crowd and great environment for the players and the fans.  Folks on both sides are passionate about their team and this thread has been very entertaining. Hope no one gets injured and that both teams have good playoff runs.

With that being said......GO FALCONS!

If you want to play the who scored more on who game then how did VHS score 20 points on your starting D in one half and barely passed 20yds in one half against ours? Our D is much better than what they have played the first few games. But I don't need to tell you that, in 24 hours you will know..

Yes thats true. For one i believe they had the wrong guy covering Sewell. But after those 2 TDs they completely shut them down. But allowing 47 points to Graham really stands out. In the rain or not. Like you said we will find out tomorrow. We are just fans talking football. All in fun of course. We will talk and the players will play. Whatever the outcome i hope both teams get out healthy and will be pulling for the Falcons the rest of the way.

and using this to explain why your team lost is why most people bad mouth richlands

I wasn't explaining why Richlands lost last year. I was answering a question regarding why Tornado fans expect a different result this year.

Also, I wasn't aware, btw, that fans from Richlands are the only ones that make excuses when their teams lose.

I wasn't explaining why Richlands lost last year. I was answering a question regarding why Tornado fans expect a different result this year.

Also, I wasn't aware, btw, that fans from Richlands are the only ones that make excuses when their teams lose.

Just seems like when Richlabds underperforms the excuses normally lead back to they were without one of their out of towners. If I was a homegrown kid that would probably hurt my feelings.

Just my observation.

Just seems like when Richlabds underperforms the excuses normally lead back to they were without one of their out of towners. If I was a homegrown kid that would probably hurt my feelings.

Just my observation.

We lost that game for plenty of reasons. And none of them have anything to do with Howie or Blankenship.

1. Abingdon came out and played inspired football. They wanted it more and Richlands was on autopilot. I thank them for beating us. They woke that team up and made the run to Wilson Memorial possible.

2. Richlands had 2 DB out and Abingdon took advantage of what they were given. That's the mark of a good team.

3. Abibgdons DL just flat out ate up our offensive line. They keyed on stopping the Michaels QB draw and when he went to pass, they were in his face.

4. Richlands came out completely flat after a BYE week. That's normal for most teams. Coming off a bye, banged up, against an opponent that traditionally hadn't been a test to us probably lulled some into a false sense of entitlement.

None of those 4 things had anything to do with an "out of towner." They weren't here.

All that we can go off of as Richlands fans leading into this game is knowing what we've seen this year. And that is a Richlands offense that is the 5th best in the state (could probably be way higher if we weren't subbing in the 2nd quarter of most games) and a defense that has been lock down against the teams it should, and has been very stout against the good offenses we've seen.

That is why we are confident. I'm not chest thumping. I'm not blaming a loss last year on players that were wherever else last season. I'm simply looking at the team in front of us and trying to give some perspective from the Richlands side. I've not once slighted Abingdon this year. I've questioned (fairly) their defense at times, but I've maintained that their offense is special.

If I make you hate Richlands fans, then I'm sorry. I try to be fair and respectful. I'm not perfect. I get worked up at times. Everyone does.

Go Blue.

Just my observation.

People always bring up transfers. Im pretty sure when they won their 2 state championships they didnt have any OUT OF TOWNERS.

I was just stating the obvious.

Perhaps many of the Abingdon posters are not aware that 95 percent of the points scored by this year's Tornado team were scored by players that didn't suit up in last year's game at Abingdon.

I don't hate Richlands' fans. I was just explaining what a lot of people get aggravated with.

And not trying to pick a fight here, but I do remember a Richlands poster last year blaming a lot of woes on Richlands offense being catered around Farris who was hurt early in the season. He was a "out of towner" and that's more or less what I was talking about.

I'm cool with kids transferring to better theirselves. I'm not cool with fans beating their chests over such players as if they had anything to do with why they are performing as good as they are.

My mom married into a Richlands family and I hear this a lot and I guess I've sort of got annoyed with it. So don't take it personal on here if I post a general statement.

That man is one of my most respected posters on this board. Period. To call him a disgrace is asinine. Just because you don't like Richlands doesn't give you a free hall pass to take shots at all of ours fans.

This ^

People always bring up transfers. Im pretty sure when they won their 2 state championships they didnt have any OUT OF TOWNERS.

seems like you shouldn't need them then, right? Or wait, I guess you do to beat Abingdon?

If Richlands wasn't winning they wouldn't be hated. The Richlands haters are the ones making excuses for Richlands winning, I find the transfer theory funny coming from a AAA school with a larger student population to gain their athletes, but what do I know? Richlands is a team, no animosity towards each other no matter how hard you people try stir the "transfer" pot. Win or lose its a special group of boys. Sounds to me like Abingdon is underestimating Richlands, please continue to do so, it would make my night

WOW!! I slept good. 12 hours and 15 minutes left. Safe travels for the Abingdon fans and good luck to both teams. Both communities should be proud of their kids. DeSalvo was not here last year (Reminder to Abingdon "fans"). He has been stellar in a couple close games.

With that being said......

AHS-38

RHS-35