Bland vs Graham

frito gonzales

Graham has no business ever losing to Bland County.  EVER.

That being said, this is not a vintage Graham team, and Bland County is having its best season in forever.  We will truly see if Bland's best team can upset Graham in one of Graham's weaker years.  It is certainly possible.

I can say this about it.  The players for Bland believe they can win.  That can make a huge impact in itself.  Question is what to Graham players think?

Have to say I'm pulling for Bland as I know several of the players and go to church with several families there.

Here is my opinion:

I don't consider this years Graham team to be necessarily weak. The schedule they have faced is nothing short of brutal it's one of the hardest I have ever seen. Lets also remember that Graham is a very small 2A team probably the or one of the smallest in the state. Yet they play the likes of Bluefield, Richlands, Abingdon etc... All teams with higher enrollment. Like I said this is just my opinion but if Graham keeps Grundy on the schedule and doesn't pick up Abingdon they are sitting at 3-4 right now. I feel as if Graham has been overlooked or whatever you want to call it because of the 2-5 record. Honestly they have been in or had a chance to win every game this season except for Richlands, I will also add that I believe Richlands will compete for a state championship. Lets take a step back and look at the improvement that have been made in just one short year.

• 2014 Bluefield-76 / Graham-48   2015 Bluefield-28 / Graham-21
  • 2014 Tazewell-45 / Graham-21  2015 Tazewell-14 / Graham-42
  • 2014 Grayson-38 / Graham-27   2015 Grayson-14 / Graham-59
  • 2014 Galax-50 / Graham-13       2015 Galax-41 / Graham- 33

These were just a few examples I could think of right off hand, not to mention scoring 47 on undefeated 3-A Abingdon and losing by 10. My point is, Graham has lost and they are 2-5 but they have lost to quality opponents. I'm not one for having sympathy on a loss but at least they aren't getting blown out and have been in almost every game, improvements have been made. As for Bland what a story, I have nothing but respect for the men across the tunnel and what a coaching job by Heart, nothing short of amazing. I just hope Graham comes in focused and takes this team seriously because they will be ready to play. Also while I'm on my rant here if you are a Graham fan and get on here or go out in public and down this team/coaching staff them shame on you. They aren't the 1989 team we all know that but have some pride about your home town team. One of my biggest honors is when someone asks me where I'm from and did I play football? I love replying back with yes I did under "Glynn Carlock" at Graham High School. Sorry for the sappy rant just tired of all the negativity but truth be known the people that say stuff never played ball and don't know what its like to play under the lights.

Here is my opinion:

I don't consider this years Graham team to be necessarily weak. The schedule they have faced is nothing short of brutal it's one of the hardest I have ever seen. Lets also remember that Graham is a very small 2A team probably the or one of the smallest in the state. Yet they play the likes of Bluefield, Richlands, Abingdon etc... All teams with higher enrollment. Like I said this is just my opinion but if Graham keeps Grundy on the schedule and doesn't pick up Abingdon they are sitting at 3-4 right now. I feel as if Graham has been overlooked or whatever you want to call it because of the 2-5 record. Honestly they have been in or had a chance to win every game this season except for Richlands, I will also add that I believe Richlands will compete for a state championship. Lets take a step back and look at the improvement that have been made in just one short year.

• 2014 Bluefield-76 / Graham-48   2015 Bluefield-28 / Graham-21
  • 2014 Tazewell-45 / Graham-21  2015 Tazewell-14 / Graham-42
  • 2014 Grayson-38 / Graham-27   2015 Grayson-14 / Graham-59
  • 2014 Galax-50 / Graham-13       2015 Galax-41 / Graham- 33

These were just a few examples I could think of right off hand, not to mention scoring 47 on undefeated 3-A Abingdon and losing by 10. My point is, Graham has lost and they are 2-5 but they have lost to quality opponents. I'm not one for having sympathy on a loss but at least they aren't getting blown out and have been in almost every game, improvements have been made. As for Bland what a story, I have nothing but respect for the men across the tunnel and what a coaching job by Heart, nothing short of amazing. I just hope Graham comes in focused and takes this team seriously because they will be ready to play. Also while I'm on my rant here if you are a Graham fan and get on here or go out in public and down this team/coaching staff them shame on you. They aren't the 1989 team we all know that but have some pride about your home town team. One of my biggest honors is when someone asks me where I'm from and did I play football? I love replying back with yes I did under "Glynn Carlock" at Graham High School. Sorry for the sappy rant just tired of all the negativity but truth be known the people that say stuff never played ball and don't know what its like to play under the lights.

Oh boy...

I thought it was implied that I was gauging this Graham team against the Graham teams of years past.  Folks in my age bracket and older remember when Graham would take the field expecting to beat anyone that lined up from them on any given Friday night.  Like it or not, every Graham team is going to be compared through the lens of what came before, especially that run from 1989-2003.  Compared to those Graham teams, this Graham team IS weaker than the historical teams.  You put this Graham team on the field with any Graham team from 1989-2003, and they'd get their doors blown off.  It's even arguable if Graham this season is as good as the 2005 Marrs, 2008 Marrs, and the 2012 Williams seasons.  

BUT...if anyone's read anything I've posted on Graham this season, it's that Graham is far, far improved over last year's defensive disaster.  The fundamentals are much improved.  The speed is much improved.  The boys play inspired, if at times reckless, football.  And the results are clear and evident in comparison to last season.  You can't take nights off against Graham anymore, or else you'll find yourself where Grayson County did 2 weeks ago.  I think Palmer has the team headed in the right direction, and I'm excited to see what the next 3-4 years bring.  

That being said, I'm not going to crap sunshine and fart rainbows when the results haven't been worthy of it.  Graham is a 2-5 team that's in serious jeopardy of missing the playoffs, where literally 64% of the teams get in.  As I have to explain to UVA fans with every waking breath I have, stating well-reasoned criticism is NOT "downing this team".  I want to see Graham do well.  I graduated from there.  But Graham is by no means there yet, nor will Graham be there this season.  I am taking each week for what it's worth, and finding my joy in the Lord every step of the way.

Simply put...

This is not Graham's best team.  

This is Bland's best team.  

Graham really should never, ever lose to Bland in football.

I expect Graham to win convincingly.

Yay football.

I'd like to know what you been eating UVAO.........I've done a lot of crapping and farting in my life but so far at least,  I've not crapped any sunshine or farted any rainbows............my wife and daughter I'm sure wish I did.......lol 

And by the way, Graham wins this game !

UVAobserver- My post was definitely not directed at you, in fact I often agree with a lot of things you say on here... I'm just stressing the fact that Graham has improved and yes the record doesn't lie we are 2-5, but if we could win these next 3 and finish 5-5 Graham can be a scary playoff team. I was a senior on the 2005 team and I believe that was the last team to win 9 games, so trust me I understand what comes with wearing the garnet and gold. Lets hope we can rebound and start a little winning streak of our own this Friday. 

I'd like to know what you been eating UVAO.........I've done a lot of crapping and farting in my life but so far at least, I've not crapped any sunshine or farted any rainbows............my wife and daughter I'm sure wish I did.......lol

And by the way, Graham wins this game !

Once you eat enough Lucky Charms, eventually it comes out like it went in.

Am I the only one that is still mind blown that Graham is in the same district as Bland County?

No. Not at all.

I've been outspoken that Graham should by no means be in the MED. It's not fair to schools like Narrows and Bland in most sports. And it's not like the MED would collapse without Graham in it: there are 5 other teams. The Highlands existed for years with 4.

Graham needs to be back in the SWD. Would be better for Graham all the way around.

The Bland Bears. What a story. I just can't go against these guys. I know that Graham is tough, better than their record. It will take a flawless game by the Bears to beat Graham, but Bland just may pull it off. Just hope no one gets hurt.

No. Not at all.

I've been outspoken that Graham should by no means be in the MED. It's not fair to schools like Narrows and Bland in most sports. And it's not like the MED would collapse without Graham in it: there are 5 other teams. The Highlands existed for years with 4.

Graham needs to be back in the SWD. Would be better for Graham all the way around.

Graham has a history of great teams and will again but i really don't think it makes that much difference to Narrows or Bland weather they playing Graham, Galax or Grayson Co. or anyone else in the MED they will be out manned. Graham moving to the MED really made the MED no better or worse for these 2 teams.

Graham has a history of great teams and will again but i really don't think it makes that much difference to Narrows or Bland weather they playing Graham, Galax or Grayson Co. or anyone else in the MED they will be out manned. Graham moving to the MED really made the MED no better or worse for these 2 teams.

Agree with the above statement.  However, the addition of Graham has forced Galax, Grayson and Fort Chiswell (albeit, not this season) to make significant improvements.  Narrows and Bland simply don't have the resources to make those improvements and likely never will.

When I lived in Roanoke, I loved watching Graham come to town to play whoever was willing.  And whoever was willing knew who was coming!

Agree with the above statement.  However, the addition of Graham has forced Galax, Grayson and Fort Chiswell (albeit, not this season) to make significant improvements.  Narrows and Bland simply don't have the resources to make those improvements and likely never will.

When I lived in Roanoke, I loved watching Graham come to town to play whoever was willing.  And whoever was willing knew who was coming!

Sorry if it came across that i didn't think Graham would make the MED a better district because that would be stupity on me. The addition of Graham makes MED a top notch district. Outside of Narrows and Bland alot of really good teams. And i bleed Green & Gold. but the facts are what they are.

Sorry if it came across that i didn't think Graham would make the MED a better district because that would be stupity on me. The addition of Graham makes MED a top notch district. Outside of Narrows and Bland alot of really good teams. And i bleed Green & Gold. but the facts are what they are.

I know the folks in Narrows don't want to talk about consolidation but how much longer can they viably refuse?  How long will the county continue to fund much needed refurbishments of the facilities at Narrows?  I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of Giles County politics but from an outside perspective, it appears likely something would have to be done in the future.  Any insight or thought RCH?

I know there is some talk with Galax being in the planning phase of (a) new school(s), they will open the school system up to the entire 24333 zip code as it was prior to the 1988 consolidation of Independence and Fries.  Since that time, Galax has restricted, somewhat, its border to only what lies within the city limits.  The 24333 zip code is slightly larger than the city limits and would likely place Galax comfortably within the 2A ranks.  I have no idea if Galax will do this but it is evidently being discussed as planning and development continue for the new school(s).

Graham makes the MED a really good district

It makes the MED "not disastrous", which was what it was before Graham entered the picture.  

However, it also takes Graham out of the district where its traditional rivals have played one another for generations.  Graham still plays those rivals in the non-MED portion of its schedule, but it's badly limits the opponents that Graham can choose.  One of the highlights of Graham's former scheduling was playing larger, more formidable teams from WV, NETN, the NRV, and Southside.  Being in the MED, Graham cannot easily do that.  Graham has 5 district games.  Graham will always play Bluefield, Tazewell, and Richlands, no matter what.  That leaves 2 openings and far more than 2 teams to choose from.

It makes the MED "not disastrous", which was what it was before Graham entered the picture.  

However, it also takes Graham out of the district where its traditional rivals have played one another for generations.  Graham still plays those rivals in the non-MED portion of its schedule, but it's badly limits the opponents that Graham can choose.  One of the highlights of Graham's former scheduling was playing larger, more formidable teams from WV, NETN, the NRV, and Southside.  Being in the MED, Graham cannot easily do that.  Graham has 5 district games.  Graham will always play Bluefield, Tazewell, and Richlands, no matter what.  That leaves 2 openings and far more than 2 teams to choose from.

I figured they would have Gate City on their schedule as well. I'm friends with coach from Graham and he says that they would like to drop Giles and pick up a weaker opponent since they already have Richlands, Bluefield, and Abingdon.