Safe to say that Richlands vs. Appomatox was title game?

Swvafan72

I find myself happy just to read this board anymore because of the wealth of football knowledge on here.  But when opinions start to flow I have to ask why this opinion? Looks like some are based on knowledge, some on pride and some on animosity or some combination.

The winning teams will be there with their pride, the teams without hope will be there with their animosity.

congrats to Appomattox 2A state champs.

For me this is either a anomaly year or a sign of the future.  2A was stacked.  There are at least 5 teams that could have been in the finials with different paths.

Unions not having experience with the single wing and then traveling and staying over night to play worked hard on them. Anytime you take that young man out of his bed and put him in a exciting environment over night will cost him his rest.

As far as Richlands, having watched them very close over the last 10 years I  know this was one of their extremely good teams. Compared to much of the competition they have faced thru time this team was designed to beat them.  I guess this is where my pride comes in, we were within a play or two in each lose of being at least 13 and 0 and a chance at the top.

Well now, I was at the championship game yesterday.  Appomattox was no doubt the better team but the score is no where close to indicative of what the game was actually like.  It was a close game throughout.  The score was 14-6 starting the 4th quarter.  Appo stretched it out with a late score and 2 pick sixes within a couple of minutes when Clarke was in desperation mode.  It was not like a "running clock in the second half" type of game if you know what I mean. 

Appo was clearly prepared to stop the Clarke ground game and had the athletes to do it.  Every time it appeared a Clarke RB had room to run, one of those Appo LBs caught them from behind.  But who knows how those runs would have been defended by other teams? 

Clarke, Union, Richlands or whoever may have been the 2nd best team this year but who plays for second?  

I will say this, I found myself pulling for Clarke just because I like to be contrary for some reason and do not care for teams from the Dogwood district.  But by late in the 3rd quarter, I could not help but admire and appreciate Appomattox.  They were not your typical Dogwood team. 

I don't know what I did to you for you to single me out of everyone on this board that has the same opinion. But I'm frankly sick and tired of it. Time to block you I guess. It's a shame you can't have a decent conversation without someone attacking you because you grew up in a certain town and hold an opinion. But oh well.

Unnecessary bias and double standards.

Why wasn't the union/Clarke county game the title game?

Union wins they thump appo and win. But if Clarke wins, appo wins. Same hypothetical ignorant conclusion that is as right as your own statement.

Didn't the Virginia high game teach you anything?

Union wins they thump appo and win. But if Clarke wins, appo wins. Same hypothetical ignorant conclusion that is as right as your own statement.

I don't have a bias. I call it like I see it. I called it last year that we would lose 3 games. I believe that Richlands was one of the two best teams in the state. That's my opinion. To say that everything I say makes me a "complete idiot" is just ridiculous. I don't call you an idiot for your posts.

And what was the Va High game supposed to teach me? They came out in a new formation that we hadn't seen on film and went up by 2 scores following a Richlands turnover. After that, we made the adjustment and Sewell didn't have 50 yards after that. That looks good on Richlands, not bad. What exactly was I supposed to learn?

If....and I do mean if, you had any credibility.  You just blew it.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  Put the spoon up, this has been stirred enough.

I watched it on the VHSL stream site.  To me it looked like Appomattox controlled the  whole game with their D  except one drive. They had to much speed to the ball for an all run team. And then in final quarter Clark gave up on run and tryed to pass, the Raiders were ready for that.

I would have liked to have seen our bunch against the single wing this year.  To me after Giles destroying us a couple years ago it looked like this D was build with that in mine. Very strong, football smart, and fast to the ball, add to that Mance's knowledge of the single wing, it would have been fun to watch.

I don't have a bias. I call it like I see it. I called it last year that we would lose 3 games. I believe that Richlands was one of the two best teams in the state. That's my opinion. To say that everything I say makes me a "complete idiot" is just ridiculous. I don't call you an idiot for your posts.

And what was the Va High game supposed to teach me? They came out in a new formation that we hadn't seen on film and went up by 2 scores following a Richlands turnover. After that, we made the adjustment and Sewell didn't have 50 yards after that. That looks good on Richlands, not bad. What exactly was I supposed to learn?

looking over other teams is what causes your statement to be ignorant, big difference that blatantly calling you ignorant. Having an opinion is fine but expecting no one to call your opinion wrong is ignorant in its own right.

I don't care about my credibility, I'm not going to ESPN or trying to have a name about myself. I am using this forum to gain what info I want and give out the info I see fit.

Seems to me that, after reading about all of the heartbreak that the Appomattox community suffered, this team wasn't going to lose. It wouldn't have mattered who played Appo. I personally don't know if any of their kids lost any relatives or friends in the community tragedies but as sad as it was, I think it played a major role in their wanting to win that state championship for the community.

App was much faster than CC and that was a huge part of the game. As Bob said when a CC runner got free he was quickly bottled up. Apps fast DL/LBs shooting gaps made a huge difference too. App was well coached and well prepared. There was no quit in CC, I left early in the 4th but thy were still playing hard, just out classed.

Having seen both Richlands was much better than Clarke Co imo but I would say the same thing about Union. Still not sure how that one happened 

Appomattox had a tragic community story, but that same community rallied around their high school football team and used their success to get through and overcome that tragedy. That's what makes HS football so great. We, in SWVA, have known about this ability for a LONG time. Sometimes, in larger areas, that have more to offer for entertainment, the local HS and the kids that walk its halls become an afterthought.

To think that those same stands that were overflowing this season sat virtually empty against Lee High last year is proof that Appomattox gets it the same way we do down here. At least for this season. The article by Jim Sacco in the BHC about Union was awesome, and reminded me of why I go to every game and why I sat in my seat until the Clarke Co scoreboard read 00:00. Those kids deserved it. It's a symbiotic relationship between our communities and our high schools. We support them, cheer for them, and build them up. They, in turn, feed off that energy and use it to learn lessons that will teach them forever.

No doubt I was secretly hoping that the Eagles would win yesterday so that I could say Union's only loss came to the state champions. It may have lessened the sting of defeat a little, but to get caught up in if's, and's, and but's doesn't change a thing nor does it predict possible outcomes in HS football games that were never played. They are just kids after all. Perfectly imperfect, youthful, full of energy and life, and prone to mistakes just like any other person.

If Appomattox were to go through their same schedule again, maybe they slip up and don't play as good each week. Maybe they lose a game or two. Maybe they don't make it to Salem. Life doesn't give us many second chances, and Appomattox made the best of their chances week in and week out. They didn't need a second shot at anyone. They won each game and took care of business. THEY made it to Salem, and they didn't play Union, Glenvar, Richlands, or Buckingham. They played Clarke Co. and they won. Congratulations Appomattox on a great season and your first State Championship!

Appomattox had a tragic community story, but that same community rallied around their high school football team and used their success to get through and overcome that tragedy. That's what makes HS football so great. We, in SWVA, have known about this ability for a LONG time. Sometimes, in larger areas, that have more to offer for entertainment, the local HS and the kids that walk its halls become an afterthought.

To think that those same stands that were overflowing this season sat virtually empty against Lee High last year is proof that Appomattox gets it the same way we do down here. At least for this season. The article They didn't need a second shot at anyone. They won each game and took care of business. THEY made it to Salem, and they didn't play Union, Glenvar, Richlands, or Buckingham. They played Clarke Co. and they won. Congratulations Appomattox on a great season and your first State Championship!

Excellent post. Every word of it...

Lets get ready for next year , Union coming to Richland's should be another head banger it's time to talk about the future not the past ,What kind of team will DA Bears have next year and also Richland's give us some opinion's sports fans ?

To think that those same stands that were overflowing this season sat virtually empty against Lee High last year is proof that Appomattox gets it the same way we do down here. At least for this season. The article by Jim Sacco in the BHC about Union was awesome, and reminded me of why I go to every game and why I sat in my seat until the Clarke Co scoreboard read 00:00. Those kids deserved it. It's a symbiotic relationship between our communities and our high schools. We support them, cheer for them, and build them up. They, in turn, feed off that energy and use it to learn lessons that will teach them forever.

No doubt I was secretly hoping that the Eagles would win yesterday so that I could say Union's only loss came to the state champions. It may have lessened the sting of defeat a little, but to get caught up in if's, and's, and but's doesn't change a thing nor does it predict possible outcomes in HS football games that were never played. They are just kids after all. Perfectly imperfect, youthful, full of energy and life, and prone to mistakes just like any other person.

If Appomattox were to go through their same schedule again, maybe they slip up and don't play as good each week. Maybe they lose a game or two. Maybe they don't make it to Salem. Life doesn't give us many second chances, and Appomattox made the best of their chances week in and week out. They didn't need a second shot at anyone. They won each game and took care of business. THEY made it to Salem, and they didn't play Union, Glenvar, Richlands, or Buckingham. They played Clarke Co. and they won. Congratulations Appomattox on a great season and your first State Championship!

Very well stated Union_fan !  

This year may be the type of year that gets the Appo fans to support their team every year ( like most of our teams do )  no matter how well they are doing.  All the tragedy they've had and now an undefeated state championship is the type of things that can bring a community together and maybe keep them close !

Time to give my input. I'm going to bet anyone on this board that Ive been to more high school football games this season than anyone here. I managed to watch 21 football games this season. Some days I got to watch 2 games in 1 day. I love it. Ive seen Appomattox play a few times, Ive seen Richlands play a few times. IMO them 2 are the best 2 teams in 2A. I watched Clarke Co. at the state game and Union must have a pretty bad run defense because Clarke is not that good offensively. Everything they done looked like they was going in slow motion and they had no speed at all. Then again I'm also comparing it to the single-wing Giles runs and its like night and day. Clarke could not have beat, Richlands, Buckingham, Glenvar, or Giles. Ive seen all 4 defenses. Richlands has the best offense of any team in 2A and Appomattox has the best defense. Union beat Richlands in like what, week 3 or 4? Richlands had 4 or more turnovers and still almost beat them. Ive seen a lot of 2A high school football, The State Championship was played in Appomattox on November 28th. I'm not a Richlands, Appomattox, or Union fan. I just know football. You all can stay in denial if you want, but Ryan called it.

"Clarke could not have beat (sic) ...."

That is an opinion, not a fact.  You are entitled to your opinion.  BBBUUUTTT, high school football, for the most part, is about matchups and emotions.  Clarke may have run Richlunds off the field or vice versa.  Buffalo Gap may have spanked everyone given a tweak here or there.  I do not know nor does anyone else...even those who "just know football". 

I am glad I have to hit the road this morning or I would spend a little more time delving into your narcissistic psyche. 

Any team can be beaten on any day so to say the state championship was determined between two teams 2 weeks before the freaking game was played is an opinion like bob said. No facts can prove this idc how many freaking games you have watched this year. Apparently next year try and catch a couple more and you might actually learn something.

You have your opinions and I have mine. I think your jealousy towards Richlands has you in denial. I was sitting on Appos side Saturday, even they said that its a shame they had to play Richlands in week 3 because Clarke didn't deserve to be there. But I guess it still doesn't matter to you that the fans of the state champs said that.

In the words of the great philosopher known as Nelly:

I-Am-number one
No matter if you like it
Ready take this sit down and write it
I-Am-number one
Hey hey hey hey hey hey
Now let me ask you man...
What does it take to be number one?
Two is not a winner
And 3 nobody remembers (hey)
What does it take to be number one?
Hey hey hey hey