Classification appeals tomorrow.

futbolking

Bit of a grey area, IMO.  

Further exploring the example I cited, Mount View was initially formed by the consolidation of Gary and Welch -- both of which had considerable football histories.  The idea at the time (1978) was that the new school would be a real juggernaut on the gridiron.  That never occurred.  A couple of tangible reasons jump out immediately.  One was the fact that the new school found itself at what I refer to as the shallow end of the Class AAA pool in West Virginia.  The other was the complete free fall of the economy in McDowell County that began almost concurrently with the school consolidation.  The addition of Northfork in 1985 produced no notable results in basketball for largely the same reasons.

Based largely on the history of their contributing constituent schools, it's reasonable to think that Union will eventually claim a state title in football and that Wise Central will be able to do the same in baseball.  But there are certainly no guarantees.  And there are several examples (particularly in West Virginia) of the opposite effect.

Mount View football playoff history

-1989 lost in semifinals (AAA)

-1990 lost in finals (AAA)

-1991 lost in semifinals (AAA)

-1998 lost in 1st round (AA)

-1999 lost in 1st round (AA)

-2001 lost in quarterfinals (AA)

-2002 lost in 1st round (AA)

-2003 lost in semifinals (AA)

-2004 lost in 1st round (AA)

-2005 lost in 1st round (AA)

-2006 lost in 1st round (AA)

Mount View did ok in football until the last ten years.  They actually had good baseball teams.  The exodus of almost all working class families is the real struggle in McDowell County. There actually are some jobs there but most who work there live in Bluefield, Princeton, Beckley and Tazewell. 

As a historian consolidations present a challenge. For football if 2 or more football schools consolidate then the football history for me starts anew. Ridgeview is a new school and they may pull on the fine histories of the schools in Dickenson County but no one is going to call them champions until the new school wins one or more. Clintwood's football championships were/are Clintwood's and not Ridgeview's.  Just as Appalachia and Powell Valley's championship do not belong to Union. Now that doesn't mean that the new school shouldn't look to the great history of the area and promote if they want to but no one is giving Union credit for any championships until they win one.

It's a pretty tough environment at Mt. View for kids to succeed in to say the least.  From my understanding if you make it through the day without being in an altercation of any kind you've had a great day.  The most recent consolidation of Iaeger and Big Creek saw a little success initially but that has slowly disappeared.  I will say the amount of community support the now River View HS gets is second to none.  It's actually pretty impressive. 

To expand on researchers point, ive not heard one person from Dickenson County claim that Ridgeview has any state titles  and I haven't heard anyone in Wise or Pound talk about Centrals baseball titles(other than "JJ Kelly was so good, how is Central not great with those Pound kids") but I have heard people from western Wise Co talk about Unions "combined" state titles.

In Abingdon's case, probably.  With the exception of Battle, there doesn't appear to be a lot of competition or tradition within the Mountain District in terms of baseball.  The Falcons should reasonably expect to challenge for the title or win it outright most years.

Tradition argument aside Abingdon will get competition in the Mountain District. Union, Wise Central, and Gate City are competitive in baseball almost every year. Battle finished fourth in the district this year. Abingdon will still play VA High in the regular season at least once if not twice.

If enrollment had anything to do with it, Carroll would be 8-2 or 9-1 every year. It's money. Revenue from football has dropped by two-thirds since leaving the Southwest and they had basketball games with bigger gates than three of their five football gates last year. Can't fund an athletic department like that.

Carroll wants to be 8-2 or 9-1 every year by playing significantly smaller schools and without having to work for it.  I find it hilarious how Carroll wouldn't renew it's yearly football rivalry with Galax because the games had gotten so one sided, which they had.  Now they are looking to move into a district of similarly sized schools.

I can appreciate Carroll being in a terrible position as the only Class 4 school west of Roanoke.  But Carroll hasn't exactly made the wisest of choices within it's athletic department either.  The athletic department tends to not be very inclusive to anyone not residing within close proximity to Hillsville.  They also had Mark Dixon on the coaching staff before he became head coach at Galax and let him go to keep Tom Hale.  Nice choice!  How has that worked out for both programs?

I've only missed one Union football game in 5 years. I've yet to hear anyone claim that Union has won a state championship in football. I believe that people in BSG and Appy are very proud of their football team and the new high school in general.

Union can be compared to the kid that comes from good stock. People anticipate the children of good parents, that are well respected and have many accomplishments, to also make something of themselves.

Being the "parents" of the Bears, Appy and PV had THEIR heyday. They did win many games, and several state championships. They also passed on a lot of tradition, pride, and expectations. Unfortunately, the trophies didn't come with all that.

Just like a child that must make their own way, create their own opportunities, and learn from their failures the Bears will always have that origin to look back on as an example of what great things THEY can achieve when hard work meets potential.

When two rivers merge together they get a new name, but the quality of the water remains the same.

That's basically what ive heard people talking about Union_Fan, "the school has ___ combined football state titles, theyre bound to win a bunch".

Making assumptions based on what happened two decades ago. Not saying Union isint a quality program but the history of PV and Appy is just that, history but some seem to believe that directly translates to today. Admittedly as time has went on and Union has forged their own identity less and less of that is being heard

Carroll wants to be 8-2 or 9-1 every year by playing significantly smaller schools and without having to work for it.  I find it hilarious how Carroll wouldn't renew it's yearly football rivalry with Galax because the games had gotten so one sided, which they had.  Now they are looking to move into a district of similarly sized schools.

I can appreciate Carroll being in a terrible position as the only Class 4 school west of Roanoke.  But Carroll hasn't exactly made the wisest of choices within it's athletic department either.  The athletic department tends to not be very inclusive to anyone not residing within close proximity to Hillsville.  They also had Mark Dixon on the coaching staff before he became head coach at Galax and let him go to keep Tom Hale.  Nice choice!  How has that worked out for both programs?

I have to say that I've derived some enjoyment by watching a product of UVA lead a team that has continually bashed in the team from the county that birthed Frank Beamer.

That's basically what ive heard people talking about Union_Fan, "the school has ___ combined football state titles, theyre bound to win a bunch".

Making assumptions based on what happened two decades ago. Not saying Union isint a quality program but the history of PV and Appy is just that, history but some seem to believe that directly translates to today. Admittedly as time has went on and Union has forged their own identity less and less of that is being heard

Can't argue that point. Even the news stations and papers still allude to those "combined" state titles. A lot of people don't realize the truly abysmal state that PV and Appy football were in when consolidation happened. Friday nights have been a bright spot for an area that doesn't have many.

I'm SO glad football is back! :)

Looking forward to coming to Rose Ridge this season too!

Can't argue that point. Even the news stations and papers still allude to those "combined" state titles. A lot of people don't realize the truly abysmal state that PV and Appy football were in when consolidation happened. Friday nights have been a bright spot for an area that doesn't have many.

I'm SO glad football is back! :)

Looking forward to coming to Rose Ridge this season too!

The traffic jam trying to get up the mountain that night will be horrific!  Lol.

Union has brought excitement back to BSG and Appy communities.

The football program has become a powerhouse, something that's was missing when Powell Valley and Appalachia were in their last few seasons.