Richlands/Graham

Deleted Account

This was a game in week two against a team that probably won't lose again. They had a game plan, and they executed it. They were getting those 4/5 yards a play and ran the clock out. Playing keep away from Richlands was a good strategy. As for the fumble, that was a Richlands player that stripped the ball. Union didn't "shoot themselves" on that one, it was just a good play by a Richlands defender to dislodge the ball.

You don't expect to see perfect offense or defense in week two. You won't see it this week either. I'd much rather have a team that knows how to win when things aren't going perfect than one that implodes. Proud of how our team came back from the adversity. They needed that.

Based on what I saw at the Graham jamboree and what I saw Week 1 vs Richlands, Graham is the better, well rounded, in tune with other team with a dual threat QB. Richlands may have better individuals but I believe Graham takes this one. To me Asbury didn't play like the 2A POTY at Gate City and from what I hear he didn't live up to his hype this past Friday night either. Graham by 2 TDs.

G-Men 35

Blues 21

Ah that right after the lee game my state championship predictions for the pioneers got slashed.. oh wait did I predict that?

No reasonable Richlands fan is talking State Championship at this point so calm your tits.

Well,  I doubt very much that by the time Mance watches the tape and has a little talk to the guys about the personal foul calls you will not see as many as you did Friday night.

The TD that was called back was a good call,  the blocker basically tackled Howie and prevented him from making the tackle which allowed the TD.  

That being said,  the blues do have a lot of work ahead of them. They need to work on their run D,  and I don't know if there is much that can be done about the running game.  They are just going to have to be what they are and throw it all over the field.  How far that's gets them............I guess we will see. 

Now honestly.....do you remember a season, in say the last 10 to 15 years, that Richlands wasn't plagued by bonehead penalties?  Some years less than others, but, some every year.  The defense is loaded with studs, they are young and will only get better.  My concern is offense.  Specifically, the need to control the clock and keep our young defense on the sideline and not on the field so much.  I know what can be done about the running game, Landon Lowe at TE, Gregory Griffith at FB or H-Back, many carries to Chace Collins and James White.  With the caliber of WR that we have, a physical running game would be a death lick on any pair of corners in the state.  I heard commentators talking about our new great head coach at VT and his philosophy.  Simply....run to win....pass to score.  Much to gain from that philosophy.  My take on that philosophy.....run to punish and pass to scorch.

Now honestly.....do you remember a season, in say the last 10 to 15 years, that Richlands wasn't plagued by bonehead penalties?  Some years less than others, but, some every year.  The defense is loaded with studs, they are young and will only get better.  My concern is offense.  Specifically, the need to control the clock and keep our young defense on the sideline and not on the field so much.  I know what can be done about the running game, Landon Lowe at TE, Gregory Griffith at FB or H-Back, many carries to Chace Collins and James White.  With the caliber of WR that we have, a physical running game would be a death lick on any pair of corners in the state.  I heard commentators talking about our new great head coach at VT and his philosophy.  Simply....run to win....pass to score.  Much to gain from that philosophy.  My take on that philosophy.....run to punish and pass to scorch.

I'm just not sure this O-line and RB's are built to be as effective at the running game as we have been in the past,    but you are right about keeping the young D off the field as much as possible.   If they can run just enough to keep teams even just a little off balance and help limit the amount of 3 and outs which will wear a D out will help tremendously,   even though the D really looked their best in the 4th qtr last week.  I think the game with Union will help them grow a lot and in the end all you can ask is for them to get better each week.  This game against Graham is another that win or lose,  it will help them for later on in the season.

I would love to see Landon run the ball some especially in short yardage,  and also throw the ball to him when he is at tight end, at the very least a couple times a game.  I keep hearing we are going to use him a lot on offense,  but they never throw to him or put him in the backfield.    I wanted to see us use him more last year.   I know you have to be careful about not wearing him out because he is so valuable on D,  but just 2 or 3 throws a game would be great and establish him as a weapon and a threat and in short yardage he is tough to stop. 

But hey, I'm not a coach and not privy to all the info that coach Mance has and he has forgot more about football then I will ever know !  I'm real good at sitting in my seat and being an arm chair QB though......lol

I'm still extremely proud of how they came back and fought to the very end to get that win,  even though a few in the stands thought it was over and left early,  I guess they got a surprise when they got to their car and turned the radio on. 

I love the potential this team has,  but they are young and inexperienced in certain places and they will get better.  It should be a lot of fun watching them get better because one thing they are not,  and that is boring to watch !  

Now honestly.....do you remember a season, in say the last 10 to 15 years, that Richlands wasn't plagued by bonehead penalties? Some years less than others, but, some every year. The defense is loaded with studs, they are young and will only get better. My concern is offense. Specifically, the need to control the clock and keep our young defense on the sideline and not on the field so much. I know what can be done about the running game, Landon Lowe at TE, Gregory Griffith at FB or H-Back, many carries to Chace Collins and James White. With the caliber of WR that we have, a physical running game would be a death lick on any pair of corners in the state. I heard commentators talking about our new great head coach at VT and his philosophy. Simply....run to win....pass to score. Much to gain from that philosophy. My take on that philosophy.....run to punish and pass to scorch.

I like it! Nothing is more demoralizing than killing the clock and opponents hopes at the same time.

With the rearranging of the Richlands offensive line. Adding #72 in will make big change for Richlands this Thursday. 

This could be true. As poorly as the offense has played, they've still put up points when needed.  I tend to believe, that with so many starters back from a unit that sometimes scored at will last year, a couple of tweaks along the line of scrimmage may cure the problems from the first two weeks. 

The difference in this game will be experience and match ups. I keep hearing in this thread that Graham has weapons and yes they have a couple but the matchup's are not in their favor. Graham hasn't been tested, they've played a down Beavers team and Tazewell... Richlands defense has to contain Cousins and keep an eye on the Cooke kid. If Richlands can do that and JLA can get his head out of his you know what, Richlands wins this one by 2 TD's... If they don't... It'll be a close one but I still think Richlands pulls it off... But what do I know, I'm just a Richlands fan! lol 

To me, the lines are the key. I've heard that Graham's offensive line has been allowing penetration in the first two games. If that's the case, the Richlands DL could have a big game. Them getting into the backfield to disrupt everything is a huge plus if they can do it. 

To me, the lines are the key. I've heard that Graham's offensive line has been allowing penetration in the first two games. If that's the case, the Richlands DL could have a big game. Them getting into the backfield to disrupt everything is a huge plus if they can do it.

From what I've heard on the radio it sounds like Richlands O-Line is suspect. Seemed like they were giving up big sacks and having pressure on Asbury constantly against Union, along with only having 7 yards rushing.. Don't know about the GC game but if he threw 3 picks if say they were getting pressure too.

Allowing Penetration in the backfield will hurt Richlands offense more than it will Graham's

From what I've heard on the radio it sounds like Richlands O-Line is suspect. Seemed like they were giving up big sacks and having pressure on Asbury constantly against Union, along with only having 7 yards rushing.. Don't know about the GC game but if he threw 3 picks if say they were getting pressure too.

Allowing Penetration in the backfield will hurt Richlands offense more than it will Graham's

Of course Union was getting pressure. They are a top 4 team in the state. Everyone acts like we should have manhandled them on the lines. they were just as big as we were. The left side of our line had some issues, yes, but I would bet good money they will be addressed. As for the interceptions, he has four. Three of them are balls that have hit the receivers hands and they've failed to catch it and they were tipped into an INT. Only one of his 4 interceptions was truly his fault.