WCYB top 5 in virginia

bigcotton

Anyone catch their new top 5? Their selection skills are a little off I think. While I am proud of my grundy boys, I dont think they need to be on this list. It's still early in the year, and I don't really know much about Patrick Henry or lee, but Richlands and at least graham, probably a few more, need to be on the list.

They have as follows.

5. Lee High

4. Grundy

3. Patrick Henry

2. Union

1. Abingdon.

Richlands and Graham are not in their viewing area due to FCC regulations. Which is why they do not include them .

I've had to explain this 50 times to people on Facebook. I'm certain WVVA invoked some right to exclusivity. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

I've had to explain this 50 times to people on Facebook. I'm certain WVVA invoked some right to exclusivity. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

Information I received was that some big sponsors for WVVA were not happy with people from Tazewell County going to Tennessee to buy vehicles, put some pressure on the station to get rid of WYCB and their sponsors....

But what do I know.  

This is exactly correct. Nevermind that the real reason most of the bottom end of Tazewell County turned into WCYB was that a Tazewell County product was on its newscasts, not due to actual coverage.

Congrats, WVVA. You not only have no one from Richlands watching your broadcasts, you've turned them away from NBC entirely. Bravo.

This is exactly correct. Nevermind that the real reason most of the bottom end of Tazewell County turned into WCYB was that a Tazewell County product was on its newscasts, not due to actual coverage.

Congrats, WVVA. You not only have no one from Richlands watching your broadcasts, you've turned them away from NBC entirely. Bravo.

I would also include a lot of Tazewell people in this as well...

Have always hated WVVA and really enjoyed several years ago when were able to receive the distant netoworks from Atlanta. 

Information I received was that some big sponsors for WVVA were not happy with people from Tazewell County going to Tennessee to buy vehicles, put some pressure on the station to get rid of WYCB and their sponsors....

But what do I know.  

Can't think of a dealership in WVVA area that I would actually buy a vehicle from anyway.  Further more reason to avoid the Ramey empire.

But everyone in Beckley is watching!

I understand the politics and what not in regards to Tazewell County not being represented, but let's honest with ourselves, WCYB needs ratings, and nothing creates ratings better than controversy, but it's challenging the credibility of their sports coverage.

It's not a new thing, but for example: because they lost last week, Marion And Central fell out of the Top 5 and were replaced by Lee And Grundy. Take nothing away from Lee and Grundy, they have solid teams, but I'm willing to bet that if they were to play, WCYB would pick Central and Marion to beat either team, and possibly even PH. Now, if they considered their top 5 to be a power ranking, it would make perfect sense, but to my knowledge, they don't and never have.

If they have the right to kneel or sit during the National Anthem ( which they do )  then I should have the right to pick between WCYB or WVVA ! I think t

I think this is an NBC rule.  And really, does anyone watch high school sports coverage on TV?  It's terrible. They film a few random plays, go back to the studio with a roster and play random plays and call them highlights. Now a Saturday morning show where important plays are shown and discussed would be good. 

I think this is an NBC rule.  And really, does anyone watch high school sports coverage on TV?  It's terrible. They film a few random plays, go back to the studio with a roster and play random plays and call them highlights. Now a Saturday morning show where important plays are shown and discussed would be good. 

I know,  it was a bad attempt at being facetious,  that's why I don't try it on a forum very often,  it just didn't come across the same on here as it did in my head.

I really appreciate WCYB's coverage of SWVA, but I wouldn't exactly call them HS football experts.

THIS RIGHT HERE!  Great effort by WCYB to compete with WJHL, "who has been doing 'Touchdiown Friday Night" that for years.  They just need some football minded and knowledgeable people hosting the segment.  Some nights it is painful to watch as the butcher players names and the who did what.  

Heather and Casey are great people.  I've talked with both in person on several occasions.  Heather is very knowledgeable about the Tennessee side but isn't as informed about the Virginia side.  When Sacco was on the Thursday night picks, he was the star of the show hands down and really was informative on the Virginia side of things.  Also, Jordan Conigliaro who is now in Pittsburgh also had begun to develop an understanding and huge knowledge of the Virginia side before he left.

Never said they weren't good people.  Heather, to me, just doesn't exude football knowledge and or commentary on the subject matter.  No I'm not being sexist.  I do think WCYB could dominate the Friday night sports scene in SWVA if they stepped up the game coverage and commentators.  It also wouldn't hurt to include all of SWVA.  If your going to cover Grundy why not cover Richlands and the like.