Power points

goose111874

Also, please, if anyone believes the union went to war against the confederates because of slavery are truly mistaken. The union faught to persevere the states as a whole.

This is an accurate summation.

From Lincoln's inaugural address: "I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so."

It wasn't until late 1862, when the Confederacy was shellacking the Union, that Lincoln put forth the Emancipation Proclamation in a desperate attempt to galvanize the Union (while betraying the 4 Union states that endorsed slavery). I am not convinced that even this would have worked if Lee hadn't exercised a neglectful strategy and gone on the offensive in Pennsylvania 6 months later.

This being said, Parsons is right (and it may cause a seal of the Apocalypse to crack by me saying it) vis-a-vis the Confederacy's justifications. "State rights" is a cutesy phrase that our history teachers like to use, but the common denominator of all that is the agrarian economy that flat couldn't exist without slavery. Take away slavery, you take away the antebellum economic foundation.

Lol, You're both plainly ignoring the fact that the south explicitly seceded to preserve slavery.

This is an accurate summation.
From Lincoln's inaugural address: "I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so."

Lincoln's inaugural speech was an attempt to woo the southern states that had seceded back to the fold, and to keep the other slaveholding states from seceding. He had always valued the preservation of the Union over his personal distaste for slavery. But the southern states knew his true feelings about slavery ---- from The Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina: "A geographical line has been drawn across the Union, and all the States north of that line have united in the election of a man to the high office of President of the United States, whose opinions and purposes are hostile to slavery. He is to be entrusted with the administration of the common Government, because he has declared that that 'Government cannot endure permanently half slave, half free,' and that the public mind must rest in the belief that slavery is in the course of ultimate extinction."

To even further solidify my previous comment. Not has anyone commented about Native American genocide committed under the United States flag. Also, please, if anyone believes the union went to war against the confederates because of slavery are truly mistaken. The union faught to persevere the states as a whole. Most union states were just as rasicts. Even Lincoln isn't the man the majority of America thinks he is. Lincoln wanted to eradicate the country of blacks. My point is, we don't educate (as a whole) ourselves other than what we're taught. Actually read the truth of history and you'll be amazed at what we don't know.

I won't argue with what you're saying, because you're correct. The United States government has perpetuated horrible acts. But take a look at our current Constitution, Tell me which parts you find objectionable. This country, even with its flaws, has an ideal that is moral in purpose, being established with the goal of treating all equally and with fairness.

The Confederacy, like Nazi Germany, had no redeeming characteristics. Your comparison is a false analogy.

I am not convinced that even this would have worked if Lee hadn't exercised a neglectful strategy and gone on the offensive in Pennsylvania 6 months later.

If practicable may have been the two words that changed the war the most.

Either way I cannot imagine what it had to be like to serve on either side, or to have been an onlooker at some of the battles. 

Lol, You're both plainly ignoring the fact that the south explicitly seceded to preserve slavery.

Licoln's inaugural speech was an attempt to woo the southern states that had seceded back to the fold, and to keep the other slaveholding states from seceding. He had always valued the preservation of the Union over his personal distaste for slavery. But the southern states knew his true feelings about slavery ---- from The Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina: "A geographical line has been drawn across the Union, and all the States north of that line have united in the election of a man to the high office of President of the United States, whose opinions and purposes are hostile to slavery. He is to be entrusted with the administration of the common Government, because he has declared that that "Government cannot endure permanently half slave, half free," and that the public mind must rest in the belief that slavery is in the course of ultimate extinction."

Dude Observer was backing up your point about slavery being the catalyst for the war and how the Southern economy would have crumbled without it, dunno why you are going at him.