Power points

goose111874

The only thing I was trying to say was that in the current climate of relations today, it would be very easy for someone not from our area to get offended and in the current climate, words are the only things that are exchanged. As much as I hate the way things are now, you must think of everything now before you do anything. I am sure the people in Hurley are still very nice. I did a lot of business in Buchanan County and was never treated anything but nice except once and that was my bosses fault.

I assure you people if color would be treated no different. It's a battle flag, not I hate you because you look different flag. Most people are intimidated by the remoteness of our lil community not the people. Yes I can read, and you insist your comments were not about the people. But come over and spend some time and you will find some of the best people you ever met. Some fans are overzealous but that's in every fan base everywhere.

Some of you guys are just plain sad...You've drowned in the liberal Kool_Aid which our liberal friends in Washington have supplied you with... A Rebel Flag does not make you racist the post some of you have made does. We've got over it, why cant you?

No, it does not necessarily make you racist, but if you truly know the origins of the flag you should understand why the flag is offensive to so many.

Origins of the flag? See, this is our media perspective playing with the country. What flag was flown while millions of native Americans were murdered and displaced from their homes? Never is the American flag considered racist (yet it's been flown front line during a sad time in our country's history) I understand "why" people are offended, 100% because society has told us it's offensive.

It's a WHOLE new ballgame when you play a team from the east (in more ways than one). After following GC athletics for 44 years, I've seen some pretty bad joints. Almost every time, GC has had more fans there than the home teams. I'm sure the folks from Richlands, Union, Powell Valley, and other places know exactly what I'm talking about. I doubt many people would even travel to Hurley, BUT the students and coaches from the other school might raise a stink about it. Hopefully it won't come to that. I'd love to see Hurley do well. 

Origins of the flag? See, this is our media perspective playing with the country. What flag was flown while millions of native Americans were murdered and displaced from their homes? Never is the American flag considered racist (yet it's been flown front line during a sad time in our country's history) I understand "why" people are offended, 100% because society has told us it's offensive.

You do realize the south seceded specifically to preserve slavery?  

Some of you guys are just plain sad...You've drowned in the liberal Kool_Aid which our liberal friends in Washington have supplied you with... A Rebel Flag does not make you racist the post some of you have made does. We've got over it, why cant you?

No one said a rebel flag makes anyone racist, only that the flag itself carries a lot of connotations in American history from a time not kind at all to black people, and women to a lesser extent.

thank you for removing all doubt 

You're welcome.  Since the matter seems settled, I'll hold off on pasting secession declarations and speeches from the Virginia secession convention.

It's a WHOLE new ballgame when you play a team from the east (in more ways than one). After following GC athletics for 44 years, I've seen some pretty bad joints. Almost every time, GC has had more fans there than the home teams. I'm sure the folks from Richlands, Union, Powell Valley, and other places know exactly what I'm talking about. I doubt many people would even travel to Hurley, BUT the students and coaches from the other school might raise a stink about it. Hopefully it won't come to that. I'd love to see Hurley do well.

That's been most of my experience as well. SWVA teams usually always travel very well while some Eastern schools have little fan support or are more basketball schools.

I remember PV hosting a couple state title games, and 75% of the crowd was BSG folk. Even in Salem in 2004, PV had way more fans than Manassas.

GC fans travel like no other tho (although Richlands gives them a good run), that fanbase is awesome in terms of support. You guys always go out in full support for your team regardless of distance.

You do realize the south seceded specifically to preserve slavery?

Actually you're wrong. There were 2 other main reasons the South seceded other than slavery. Those 2 being state rights along with tariffs and taxes. The majority of southern folks were not slave owners, so why would they break away to save slavery? Exactly! They wouldn't. State rights and tariffs and taxes led the way, not slavery.

No, Leatherhead, you're wrong, Internet blogs will mislead you everytime.

The tariffs and states' rights arguments are the first things confederate apologists throw out, but both are flat out wrong.

An attempt to pass the Morrill tariff occurred in the fall of 1860, but the vote was tabled because the supporters of the tariff didn't have the votes to pass it. In fact, the supporters couldn't even get it out of the finance committee until seven southern states had seceded. Regarding states' rights, all you have to do is compare the southern constitution with the U.S. Constitution. In the Confederate Constitution, at least three states rights are explicitly taken away.......the freedom of states to grant voting rights to non-citizens, the freedom of states to trade freely with each other, and the freedom of states to outlaw slavery within their borders. As far as slave-owning rights go, however, the document is ironclad, and far more overreaching than the U.S. Constitution. Four different clauses entrench the legality of slavery in a number of different ways, and together they virtually guarantee that any sort of anti-slave law or policy would be unconstitutional.

Oh boy, now I get to print the actual speeches from the secession convention so we can get our information straight from the horse's mouth. It's always convenient when you can use actual documents to support your arguments rather than relying on the internet.

South Carolina, Georgia, and Mississippi all sent delegates to the Virginia secession convention to convince Virginia to secede.  I'll give you snippets from each speech.

Henry Benning (GA) : "I have been appointed by the Convention of the State of Georgia, to present to this Convention, the ordinance of secession of Georgia, and further, to invite Virginia, through this Convention ' to join Georgia and the other seceded States in the formation of a Southern Confederacy. This, sir, is the whole extent of my mission. 1 have no power to make promises, none to receive promises; no power to bind at all in any respect. But still, sir, it has seemed to me that a proper respect for this Convention requires that I should with some fulness and particularity, exhibit before the Convention the reasons which have induced Georgia to take that important step of secession, and then to lay before the Convention some facts and considerations in favor of the acceptance of the invitation by Virginia. With your permission then, sit, I will pursue this course.

What was the reason that induced Georgia to take the step of secession? This reason may be summed up in one single proposition. It was a conviction, a deep conviction on the part of Georgia, that a separation from the North-was the only thing that could prevent the abolition of her slavery. This conviction, sir, was the main cause. It is true, sir, that the effect of this conviction was strengthened by a further conviction that such a separation would be the best remedy for the fugitive slave evil, and also the best, if not the only remedy, for the territorial evil. But, doubtless, if it had not been for the first conviction this step would never have been taken."

Actually, since I've hijacked the thread, I'll not print the other two.  Feel free to read what Fulton Anderson (SC) and John Preston (SC) had to say. They're easily accessible online.  Both continue in the same vein as Benning.  

Y'all can get back to football....

Most of the world has moved on? The media has tried dividing races and have had success with it. East teams are predominantly African American. Hurley is the farthest thing from that. I could just see the 2 not mixing well. I'm glad that Hurley wasn't forced to change their Mascot, but it was highly talked about.

It was talked about from people totally from the outside.  There were no problems at all at Hurley, still are not.... outside news media tried to make problems, but were unsuccesful.

That's been most of my experience as well. SWVA teams usually always travel very well while some Eastern schools have little fan support or are more basketball schools.

I remember PV hosting a couple state title games, and 75% of the crowd was BSG folk. Even in Salem in 2004, PV had way more fans than Manassas.

GC fans travel like no other tho (although Richlands gives them a good run), that fanbase is awesome in terms of support. You guys always go out in full support for your team regardless of distance.

I moved from this area... to the richmond area for a few years....I was very shocked at the small number of spectators at some of the biggest and best schools in the Richmond area....very disappointed... was very glad to be back in the football capital of Virginia (SWVA).

It was talked about from people totally from the outside. There were no problems at all at Hurley, still are not.... outside news media tried to make problems, but were unsuccesful.

As I am glad that they were. I have mixed and black people in my family and they all were embarrassed about how Other blacks were responding to the flag. It means nothing, but the media has made it out to be the most terrible thing

Harrisonburg. JMU. ;)

But, yes, they did, and Manassas was less than 2 hours away. Zach Terrell. Got tired of hearing that name over the speakers. Lol.

You're right. I was there, I'm ashamed to misremember the locale lol. If one of PVs best LBs hadn't been concussed in first half and had to miss second half, maybe they coulkve pulled it out but Terrell was just unstoppable all over the field. It was only time I remember a QB outplaying Brad.

To even further solidify my previous comment. Not has anyone commented about Native American genocide committed under the United States flag. Also, please, if anyone believes the union went to war against the confederates because of slavery are truly mistaken. The union faught to persevere the states as a whole. Most union states were just as rasicts. Even Lincoln isn't the man the majority of America thinks he is. Lincoln wanted to eradicate the country of blacks. My point is, we don't educate (as a whole) ourselves other than what we're taught. Actually read the truth of history and you'll be amazed at what we don't know.