Coach Kevin Saunders

87Tiger

Do you guys remember Kevin Saunders?  He coached at JJ Kelly, William Campbell and Gretna (maybe Va High as well?).  He is now the head coach at Pebblebrook HS in Mableton, GA, just west of Atlanta.  It looks as if my HS team here in Canton, GA (Cherokee) will host Pebblebrook in the first round of the GHSA 7A playoffs if we are the #2 seed.  The first round brackets will be clear after this weeks final regular season games.  Cherokee is playing at Roswell (#1 state and #8 nation) for the #1 seed in Region 4.  Pebblebrook is playing Wheeler (Marietta) to decide the #3/#4 seed in Region 2.  Should be a great final week of regular season play.

One of the joys of my football filled life was watching him walk off the field at Salem, after he thought he had beat GC. I guess that is the reason why he now coaches in Ga. I hope he isn't in Grayson's bracket, then another GC guy will have a chance to end his season.

Grayson is in 7A Region 8. They wouldn't meet until the semifinals. Pebblebrook won't beat Cherokee. Next round will be against either Region 8 #4 or Region 6 #1.

I love my SWVA football, but GA football is definitely at a higher level. It's like a college game atmosphere, schools even charge for parking.

One of the joys of my football filled life was watching him walk off the field at Salem, after he thought he had beat GC. I guess that is the reason why he now coaches in Ga. I hope he isn't in Grayson's bracket, then another GC guy will have a chance to end his season.

Who from GC coaches at Grayson? They've had a brutal schedule, but only have the blemish from the IMG Academy game. I believe they beat Hoover, AL last week.

The head coach at Grayson, Jeff Herron, is a Gate City grad and E&H alum.  Herron accepted the job at Grayson this year after Mickey Conn, the only HC, Grayson has had since their inception, took a job with Dabo at Clemson.  (Dabo and Mickey were roommates at Alabama and played for the Tide.)

Herron was the HC at Camden County and was very successful...then he became the HC at a private school in Athens.  When the Grayson head coaching job came open ...Herron was the one coach they pursued.  He turned it down at first...but after more persuasion by the admin at Grayson, he decided to accept the job.

When Saunders first came to GA, he took a head coaching job at a school whose had numerous head coaches. The school wasn't/isn't  known for a successful football program. I told a few, if he could win two or three games there...he would be Coach of the Year. Believe it or not, there are schools in GA who are not football schools .  :)

( I heard the reason he moved to GA was because his Dad lives here.)

He is now at Pebblebrook HS in Cobb County, as previous poster said.  (In Sept. he had a serious health issue requiring him to be hospitalized)   

Here's a link to a recent article on Saunders.......http://playbookathlete.com/the-house-that-saunders-built/

Following another article:

http://www.mdjonline.com/cobb_football_friday/playoff-bound-pebblebrook-is-flying-high/article_3c692e5e-9e4c-11e6-a7fa-13ddb0d65274.html

Also, there's another former HC from VA ...was a very successful HC at Oscar Smith, Richard Morgan.  His school, Marietta could advance to the playoffs in his first season with a win over N. Paulding in Region 3 7A this week.

(In GA, a member of the Teachers Retirement System of GA , with ten (10) years of service credit has a vested right to a benefit at age 60.  In VA, I've heard you're vested after twenty (20) years.)

One more HC I would like to mention, Sid Maxwell, a Richlands grad and E&H alum... now the HC at Dawson County in GA.  Greater ATL Christian School will play Dawson this coming Friday, Nov 4...a region game for both in AAA.  I'm a GAC fan...but it's hard to pull against a Richlands grad.  Following an article on Sid when he took the  job at Dawson Co.  http://www.dawsonnews.com/archives/16690/

One of the joys of my football filled life was watching him walk off the field at Salem, after he thought he had beat GC. I guess that is the reason why he now coaches in Ga.

Yes. He left the state of VA to go coach in GA out of fear of the great Gate City who started the season 0-5. It had nothing to do with the pay raise or being able to coach football without any teaching responsibilities.