Richlands at Marion

Canes00

33 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I know....I was agreeing with you. No need to get upset when someone agrees with you. 

Awe shit, I’ll give you that Ryan, I was reading what you had said not quoted!

9 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

If you guys are gonna go at it, at least make it worth our time to read. Insult each other's families, threaten each other's lives, go at it. Don't be so bland, arguing about punctuation.

I'm a journalism major. Punctuation isn't bland to me lol.

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

If you guys are gonna go at it, at least make it worth our time to read. Insult each other's families, threaten each other's lives, go at it. Don't be so bland, arguing about punctuation.

That probably still won't fire up Richlands folks, but if you threaten to burn down the Bearded Moose on the other hand, it's on like Donkey Kong then.  :D

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

I'm a journalism major. Punctuation isn't bland to me lol.

Some unsolicitied advice-be prepared to take a lot of jobs that aren't journalism lol. Modern journalism isn't quite like it was when it was guys like Frank Deford or Tom Verducci.

23 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

That probably still won't fire up Richlands folks, but if you threaten to burn down the Bearded Moose on the other hand, it's on like Donkey Kong then.  :D

I'll literally fight someone if they try to take away the Moose. 

8 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Some unsolicitied advice-be prepared to take a lot of jobs that aren't journalism lol. Modern journalism isn't quite like it was when it was guys like Frank Deford or Tom Verducci.

Multimedia Journalism as a major has a LOT of job paths. I actually don't want to write, but I can if necessary. 

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Multimedia Journalism as a major has a LOT of job paths. I actually don't want to write, but I can if necessary. 

Bah that's not journalism! If you're aren't using 5,000 words to wax poetically about the lack of the DH in the NL or the Steel Curtain defense, you're doing it wrong!

I was hoping it'd be more Grantland Rice and less Bill Simmons Grantland, but it seems you're much more equipped to deal with the changing landscape than I was. I'm not a talker (I have a stutter and called precisely one softball game out of necessity, it was bbaaddd) and while being computer literate and functional in all Office stuff and Photoshop, I'm not a big social media guy so I just kind of decided a little late I had to look elsewhere for a career. You're also gonna have a good degree, that'll at least get you in the door at most places. 

22 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Bah that's not journalism! If you're aren't using 5,000 words to wax poetically about the lack of the DH in the NL or the Steel Curtain defense, you're doing it wrong!

I was hoping it'd be more Grantland Rice and less Bill Simmons Grantland, but it seems you're much more equipped to deal with the changing landscape than I was. I'm not a talker (I have a stutter and called precisely one softball game out of necessity, it was bbaaddd) and while being computer literate and functional in all Office stuff and Photoshop, I'm not a big social media guy so I just kind of decided a little late I had to look elsewhere for a career. You're also gonna have a good degree, that'll at least get you in the door at most places. 

My resume should help me. I'm the VP of the National Sports Media Assoc. at VT. I'm the Sports director of VTTV, I've also been a reporter and an analyst for VTTV in the past. I'm a 3 year member of the sports department for WUVT, the campus radio station. I covered VT football for The Key Play for the 2016 season. I'm a personality on ESPN Blacksburg frequently, as well as being the 2017 Blacksburg Football color analyst for the station, and a soccer analyst for the station. I've interned at WVVA this summer (hoping to intern there again in a few months). I've interned with the Salem Red Sox and that parlayed into them asking me back last year as a job, as opposed to an internship. I'm fluent in the Adobe Suite. I run 4 social media accounts.

Surely one of those things will land me some sort of job. Lol. 

28 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

My resume should help me. I'm the VP of the National Sports Media Assoc. at VT. I'm the Sports director of VTTV, I've also been a reporter and an analyst for VTTV in the past. I'm a 3 year member of the sports department for WUVT, the campus radio station. I covered VT football for The Key Play for the 2016 season. I'm a personality on ESPN Blacksburg frequently, as well as being the 2017 Blacksburg Football color analyst for the station, and a soccer analyst for the station. I've interned at WVVA this summer (hoping to intern there again in a few months). I've interned with the Salem Red Sox and that parlayed into them asking me back last year as a job, as opposed to an internship. I'm fluent in the Adobe Suite. I run 4 social media accounts.

Surely one of those things will land me some sort of job. Lol. 

So what you're saying is in ten years, you'll be replacing Stephen A. Smith on ESPN or Skip on FS1? 

You're doing the right thing obviously, it seems you're super motivated and really into the multimedia aspects of sports journalism. I loved research, writing and editing, but all on written word. I'm not old but I'm totally out of the loop on the evolving sports media landscape. You have your finger on the pulse and seem to enjoy what you do, that's really cool.

Do you want to be a radio guy going forward, or run a SB Nation type site? Seems like you'll be capable of multiple things, never a bad nugget to have on a resume. 

Anyway that's totally OT. If Blues lose this week, no shot at making playoffs bc I can't see them beating Graham. Do or die this week,we find out if Marion is legit or if Richland's is gonna be sitting at home in November. If Blues get in, that's a tough 7-8 seed for a first round game. Much rather play a team like Grayson. 

14 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

So what you're saying is in ten years, you'll be replacing Stephen A. Smith on ESPN or Skip on FS1? 

You're doing the right thing obviously, it seems you're super motivated and really into the multimedia aspects of sports journalism. I loved research, writing and editing, but all on written word. I'm not old but I'm totally out of the loop on the evolving sports media landscape. You have your finger on the pulse and seem to enjoy what you do, that's really cool.

Do you want to be a radio guy going forward, or run a SB Nation type site? Seems like you'll be capable of multiple things, never a bad nugget to have on a resume. 

Anyway that's totally OT. If Blues lose this week, no shot at making playoffs bc I can't see them beating Graham. Do or die this week,we find out if Marion is legit or if Richland's is gonna be sitting at home in November. If Blues get in, that's a tough 7-8 seed for a first round game. Much rather play a team like Grayson. 

I want to do local TV. My internship with WVVA is precisely what I want to do. But, I CAN do other things if need be lol.

As for Richlands, I'm really intrigued by this game. Marion is a good team. They've played a few good teams and passed the test. This still may be the toughest game Marion has had. I also expect the stadium to be full. Not sure who I'll pick yet. I think Richlands poses problems for Graham both mentally and physically, but that's for next week. 

43 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I want to do local TV. My internship with WVVA is precisely what I want to do. But, I CAN do other things if need be lol.

As for Richlands, I'm really intrigued by this game. Marion is a good team. They've played a few good teams and passed the test. This still may be the toughest game Marion has had. I also expect the stadium to be full. Not sure who I'll pick yet. I think Richlands poses problems for Graham both mentally and physically, but that's for next week. 

Richlands defense will be the toughest we have faced to this point. If Richlands had the explosive offense they've had in the past there is no doubt y'all would win this game. I'm thinking it will be a defensive low scoring game with some old fashioned hard hitting action  that being sad I think Marion is a little better offensively so I'll take the Canes 21-17

4 minutes ago, Canes00 said:

Richlands defense will be the toughest we have faced to this point. If Richlands had the explosive offense they've had in the past there is no doubt y'all would win this game. I'm thinking it will be a defensive low scoring game with some old fashioned hard hitting action  that being sad I think Marion is a little better offensively so I'll take the Canes 21-17

This is pretty much along my lines of thinking. I think this will be a great game. Sad I can't see it.

5 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

Dip Dog > The Moose

#hottakes

1. Moose

2. Dip Dog

3. King Kone

That is the definitive list and I won't hear any other arguments. Hahah. (Dip Dogs are legit)

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

1. Moose

2. Dip Dog

3. King Kone

That is the definitive list and I won't hear any other arguments. Hahah. (Dip Dogs are legit)

Damn, King Kone still open down there!? I want a slaw dog now!

7 hours ago, vols4life said:

Little's burgers are plywoods fav

The most underrated and overlooked food in SWVA. Nothing against the Dip Dog, but if I'm in Seven Mile Ford with an appetite, Little's is always my first choice. Best damn cheeseburger I've ever had.