Projections

Union_Fan

21 hours ago, jalo said:

riverheads could win 1a thru 4 a state titles 

Could, yeah maybe.

1A probably will obviously

2A I don't think so but they *could. Too much depth and quality but they would be in the discussion. 

3A *could. They're good enough that they're in the mix

4A probably not winning region.

I know year to year a lot changes but last year they went toe to toe with Tazewell, who got smacked in the first round by a 2A regional runner up. That Central team was much better stopping the run than the pass, which was Tazewells forte 

2 hours ago, redtiger said:

Could, yeah maybe.

2A I don't think so but they *could. Too much depth and quality but they would be in the discussion. 

I know year to year a lot changes but last year they went toe to toe with Tazewell, who got smacked in the first round by a 2A regional runner up. That Central team was much better stopping the run than the pass, which was Tazewells forte 

Wouldn't a 1A team beating a 4A team to win state be the same as ETSU beating Alabama

I have watched Riverheads play every year since 2015. Besides their 2016 team this year is the best I have seen, if not the best. If you think anyone in 2A would win  easily you are being a homer and fooling yourself. People act like they don't play anyone but 1A schools ,where as the vast majority of their schedule is 2A schools and they have  beaten the 2A state runner up the past two years in regular season. 

3 hours ago, redtiger said:

Could, yeah maybe.

I don’t think that’s an accurate description.

Tazewell was much more committed to the run last year, especially with Gavin Nunley who could run it well.  That team that got thunderstruck by Central was coming off a heartbreaking loss to Graham and didn’t have their minds right.  Riverheads would have been toe-to-toe with Appomattox last year.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

I don’t think that’s an accurate description.

Tazewell was much more committed to the run last year, especially with Gavin Nunley who could run it well.  That team that got thunderstruck by Central was coming off a heartbreaking loss to Graham and didn’t have their minds right.  Riverheads would have been toe-to-toe with Appomattox 

T was a athletic team with weapons all over the place in the Spring who was at best a balanced team, but granted much more of a running team than this season. Regardless of what happened the week before they were out classed by Central, who laid an egg the following week vs Union.

Obviously it's not totally accurate but it's undeniable that T was all that R wanted, and C was obviously the superior team. 

I give Riverheads props and have been a fan for years(a lot of their games from the past decade are on youtube, watched them Galax for state in 15), and love their style of play, but if we were to put them in Region B they would have to beat SD(which they obviously could/can do), King William/Nottoway, and finally Appomattox or a Region D school to win state and I just don't think they could do it.

20 minutes ago, sixcat said:

By the way, CalPreps also shows LCA beating Riverheads 41-31. Well within the margin for error and certainly not a blowout. 

CalPreps shows Salem beating Riverheads 31-27. Riverheads may not win Class 3 or Class 4. But they would be competitive!

For me it's not a matter of a 1 off game, it's making it through the gauntlet to get to state.  In 1 game vs any team in 1A or 2A I wouldn't bet against the Gladiators,  but 4 games vs strong teams I would take them. And I'm well aware of their schedule which features almost exclusively larger schools.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

By the way, CalPreps also shows LCA beating Riverheads 41-31. Well within the margin for error and certainly not a blowout. 

CalPreps shows Salem beating Riverheads 31-27. Riverheads may not win Class 3 or Class 4. But they would be competitive!

Riverheads is a bad outfit. No question, but Cal Preps this year I think can't be trusted more than any year. Covid is the reason. So many teams are with one or two practices or two games in 5 days, and several players out due to Covid. For example, Appo with a whole lot of early starters out, especially against Heritage. They don't beat Heritage, but that game is much closer in margin than what Calories is accounting for in the computer. 

My eyeballs are decent and they tell me that Riverheads is in the Convo this year,. I give em 2, maybe 3 titles from 2015 through 2021 (7 years) at the 2A level if playing. But, I think they get at least 2. One last year and flirting with one or two more in all the other years.

Riverheads beat starts draft 48-7 in 2019. They are  an impressive program but  should be beating everyone in 1A with their enrollment. They will always have an asterisk beside their titles in 1A due to that fact. They should be in 2A and not skate the numbers and stay in 1A. No school stays at that consistent of enrollment year after year. Look at the Giles and Graysons of the world. It has darkened  1A ball because of it. 

The 2016 RH team was one of the best team I have seen in play in my time. Galax had the second best team in the state that year and was a massive team and they made us look like jv. They was impressive. 

The fact that RH can dress 80 plus kids in 1A or 2A is within itself a weapon. Their defense is phenominal and their offense makes them a tough game just by itself. The down side of that is how many  kids has that system produced that is playing at the next level?  

On 10/22/2021 at 4:22 PM, Union_Fan said:

Of course, there's still some big games left, Ridgeview/Abingdon, Union/Abingdon, Twin Springs/Thomas Walker and maybe, just maybe Richlands/Va High, that will impact the point outcomes more than anything.

If Union pulls the win over Abingdon, does that lock them at #1 seed for M7? If they don’t win, what does the M7 look like for playoffs barring anything crazy happening with games remaining. 

1 hour ago, Tigers_07 said:

any idea what the Region 1D standings looks like

32 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Or any idea what 1C looks like

Holston will host all the way through semifinals if they win out. With twin springs in second place. I think chilhowie is slightly ahead of PH for third place still. 

1C is Galax in first place if they win out. Giles in second and PM in third. GW is slightly ahead of Grayson with those two playing this week. Covington and Narrows and Eastern Montgomery bottom three unless Covington doesn't finish season. Then it's Craig next 

33 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

Holston will host all the way through semifinals if they win out. With twin springs in second place. I think chilhowie is slightly ahead of PH for third place still. 

1C is Galax in first place if they win out. Giles in second and PM in third. GW is slightly ahead of Grayson with those two playing this week. Covington and Narrows and Eastern Montgomery bottom three unless Covington doesn't finish season. Then it's Craig next 

GW is #4 right now? Cause they were #7 before Friday

On 10/23/2021 at 7:27 PM, UVAObserver said:

They’d be right in the mix in 2A, and you’re fooling yourself if you think otherwise.  3A, they wouldn’t beat LCA.

Just because they beat Tazwell doesn't mean they'd win 2A. They'd be a factor but they would not win 2A.

3 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Just because they beat Tazwell doesn't mean they'd win 2A. They'd be a factor but they would not win 2A.

Graham asked them to play the week GW canceled but they didn’t want to travel to Bluefield which I don’t blame them since it was the week following the Tazewell game when they traveled there. I would have liked to have seen them and Graham play though. 

3 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Graham asked them to play the week GW canceled but they didn’t want to travel to Bluefield which I don’t blame them since it was the week following the Tazewell game when they traveled there. I would have liked to have seen them and Graham play though. 

They're good. But expecting them to just show up and run 2A is silly to me