Projections

Union_Fan

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

GW is #4 right now? Cause they were #7 before Friday

Vhsl (what is showing today not updated from Friday's games) has their points at 14.833 number 5 with Covington ahead of them at 15.40. And with Covington losing and may be done for the year GW should move ahead. 

9 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Graham "should" be able to rest their starters a bit against Blacksburg and Marion.  Heading into the playoffs at 9-0 with home-field advantage throughout and healthy is a big deal.  Getting through the gauntlet that is region D will be tough enough, however.

"If" Graham plays to their potential they should win the Region. Lots of football left to be played. All eyes on Blacksburg first. 

15 hours ago, sixcat said:

I think Galax and Riverheads both would have stood a great chance in Class 2 in 2019. Riverheads would have stood a significant chance in 2016. The other years would have been a bit more difficult but they would have had a good chance. 

You think they had a significant chance against the 2016 Raiders? 

12 hours ago, Optimal62 said:

Holston will host all the way through semifinals if they win out. With twin springs in second place. I think chilhowie is slightly ahead of PH for third place still. 

1C is Galax in first place if they win out. Giles in second and PM in third. GW is slightly ahead of Grayson with those two playing this week. Covington and Narrows and Eastern Montgomery bottom three unless Covington doesn't finish season. Then it's Craig next 

Ok so who rounds out the rest of the field for  region 1D and region 1C

15 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

If Union pulls the win over Abingdon, does that lock them at #1 seed for M7? If they don’t win, what does the M7 look like for playoffs barring anything crazy happening with games remaining. 

If Union beats Abingdon, they would definitely be the #1 seed in the M7, and would be the overall #2 seed in the region for powerpoints. If they lose, their fate would be in the hands of Thomas Walker and Richlands, unless Ridgeview loses to Bluefield. In that case, it is entirely possible for Central to become the #1 M7 seed.

If Ridgeview defeats Bluefield and Union loses to Abingdon, the M7 would likely go: Ridgeview, Union, Central, Lee.

If Ridgeview loses to Bluefield and Union loses to Abingdon, the M7 would likely go: Central, Union, Ridgeview, Lee.

Lee's fate rests with Burton defeating TW in the last game.

I was under the impression power points meant nothing this year and they were going strictly off of district standings because not everyone is playing 10 games? Of course, nobody seems to know what will happen if there is a 3-way tie in the M7 for the top AA spot.

15 hours ago, Tigers_07 said:

any idea what the Region 1D standings looks like

Currently, something like this:

01.) Holston 8-0 180 22.5
02.) Twin Springs 6-1 142 20.28571
03.) Chilhowie 7-1 158 19.75
04.) Pat Henry-GS 5-2 134 19.14286
05.) Twin Valley 5-2 120 17.14286
06.) Thomas Walker 5-3 131 16.375
07.) Eastside 4-4 120 15
08.) Honaker 4-4 120 15
09.) Grundy 3-3 87 14.5
10.) Rural Retreat 4-4 115 14.375
11.) Lebanon 2-6 96 12
12.) J.I. Burton 1-7 89 11.125
13.) Castlewood 2-5 71 10.14286
14.) Northwood 1-7 79 9.875
15.) Hurley 1-5 52 8.666667
16.) Rye Cove 0-8 57 7.125

I'm guestimating the final outcome to look something like this depending on made up games, determination of forfeits vs no contests, etc...

01.) Holston 10-0 254 25.4
02.) Pat Henry-GS 8-2 217 21.7
03.) Twin Springs 9-1 216 21.6
04.) Chilhowie 7-3 199 19.9
05.) Twin Valley 6-3 155 17.22222
06.) Eastside 5-4 153 17
07.) Grundy 4-5 147 16.33333
08.) Honaker 5-4 147 16.33333
09.) Rural Retreat 5-5 159 15.9
10.) Thomas Walker 5-5 158 15.8
11.) J.I. Burton 3-7 139 13.9
12.) Lebanon 2-8 127 12.7
13.) Castlewood 2-8 111 11.1
14.) Northwood 1-9 107 10.7
15.) Hurley 1-7 76 9.5
16.) Rye Cove 0-10 81 8.1

5 minutes ago, pvfan said:

I was under the impression power points meant nothing this year and they were going strictly off of district standings because not everyone is playing 10 games? Of course, nobody seems to know what will happen if there is a 3-way tie in the M7 for the top AA spot.

I'm not 100% certain myself, but if Ridgeview, Central and Union all finish 7-3 with each losing to Abingdon, then Abingdon wins the district. Rigdeview, Central and Union would all be tied for 2nd. District record would be the same, overall record would be the same, head to head wouldn't be a determining factor because they would have beaten each other in a triangle essentially. The only tie breaker left would be powerpoints.

Also, powerpoints will determine the semi-final hosting site.

I'm a big fan of the power points system overall and wish it would be implemented in other sports. That being said, with so many teams not playing 10 games this year, it's not as good as it is in normal years. Schools will lose rider points off of teams they beat simply because that team won't be able to play their full allotment of games. Not declaring COVID games as forfeits has caused a disaster and if power points end up being used it could greatly impact seeding.

43 minutes ago, oldfool said:

You think they had a significant chance against the 2016 Raiders? 

CalPreps has 2016 Appo 31 - 2016 Riverheads 27

Yes, I believe they would have stood an excellent chance!

57 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I'm not 100% certain myself, but if Ridgeview, Central and Union all finish 7-3 with each losing to Abingdon, then Abingdon wins the district. Rigdeview, Central and Union would all be tied for 2nd. District record would be the same, overall record would be the same, head to head wouldn't be a determining factor because they would have beaten each other in a triangle essentially. The only tie breaker left would be powerpoints.

Also, powerpoints will determine the semi-final hosting site.

I believe that the top 4 from each district will be determined by powerpoints. 

8 minutes ago, appyvol said:

I believe that the top 4 from each district will be determined by powerpoints. 

It would seem that Union's fate is in their hands. Earlier in the season I would have given Ridgeview the victory over Bluefield, but now, I'm not so sure.

Just now, Union_Fan said:

It would seem that Union's fate is in their hands. Earlier in the season I would have given Ridgeview the victory over Bluefield, but now, I'm not so sure.

Not sure how it all works out but if U an Rv lose Central may sneak in and get the M7 #1 seed which no one would have thought 3 weeks ago.

If Rv wins over a solid Bluefield team it could propel them going forward, but a loss could drop them to the 3 seed I believe.

A loss to Abingdon really hurts Union, not only in terms of playoff seed but also momentum (which they desperately need).

This is a big week in terms of setting the stage for the playoffs

1 minute ago, redtiger said:

Not sure how it all works out but if U an Rv lose Central may sneak in and get the M7 #1 seed which no one would have thought 3 weeks ago.

If Rv wins over a solid Bluefield team it could propel them going forward, but a loss could drop them to the 3 seed I believe.

A loss to Abingdon really hurts Union, not only in terms of playoff seed but also momentum (which they desperately need).

This is a big week in terms of setting the stage for the playoffs

Absolutely to all the above!

Central is by no means out of the conversation for the #1 seed. Also, they're playing some really good ball right now.

I cant remember a year where this late in the season things were so wide open. Everything can change in the next couple of weeks, really in this week. I'd love to go to all 3 of those games this weekend, should be really motivated teams and competitive games. 

20 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

No.  And 2018 Graham would have beaten 2018 Riverheads, IMO.  This year, there are about 4 to  6 2A programs ahead of them (personal opinion).

Yes I believe the 2016 Riverheads team would compete in 2A, not saying they would've won it all but they would've been right there close to it. I think  alot of people underestimate just how good they really are and I doubt there are 4-6 2A teams better than them right now ( just my personal opinion) but we will probably never know because they play 1A.

To me, it feels like a lot of jealousy directed toward Riverheads similar to what Tom Brady and the Patriots have received through the years. It's not shameful to admire and appreciate what they have accomplished over the past decade. The road to a state title would be more difficult for them in higher classifications, but for a game-to-game scenario, Riverheads can play with anyone in the lower 4 classifications. They may not have the depth to run the gauntlet of a Class 4 regular season and playoff but for a game, they can compete with any school in those lower 4 classifications. To suggest otherwise is honestly, ridiculous.

1 minute ago, sixcat said:

To me, it feels like a lot of jealousy directed toward Riverheads similar to what Tom Brady and the Patriots have received through the years. It's not shameful to admire and appreciate what they have accomplished over the past decade. The road to a state title would be more difficult for them in higher classifications, but for a game-to-game scenario, Riverheads can play with anyone in the lower 4 classifications. They may not have the depth to run the gauntlet of a Class 4 regular season and playoff but for a game, they can compete with any Class 4 school. To suggest otherwise is honestly, ridiculous.

I don't know about this year or others but they ain't beating the 2016 Appo team.  That was one of the best teams I've seen and I've seen some good ones play in northern VA