Projections

Union_Fan

Based on the craziness of this season, I've been hesitant to do this, but I'll lay out some obvious scenarios of interest. And these are all based on PPs. Not entirely sure how the seeds will be determined.

• Graham will be #1 in the west with a 9-0 record. Even with a loss to Pulaski, they will outpoint everyone but Glenvar, which doesn't matter, because they aren't getting past Appo barring a meltdown
  • Burton and Thomas Walker may determine the M7 #1 seed. If TW defeats Burton, Union and Ridgeview could possibly be tied in PPs, giving Union the upper hand with the head to head.
  • Burton could also determine the M7 4th and final seed. If Burton gets wins over Castlewood and TW, Lee could sneak ahead of GC by 1 pt.
  • Tazewell could lose the #3 seed to Richlands if they makeup the game against Battle AND WIN. They could finish .133 pts behind Richlands. They're better off not making that game up
  • Va High, too, could be hurt by making up the Lebanon game and winning. They could actually fall behind Union. They would still be the #2 seed in the SWD, but wouldn't be able to outpoint Appo if it came down to that.
  • Oddly enough, Appo's fate will rest with Lord Botetourt and the Rustburg/Jefferson Forrest games. If those teams falter on their games, it's possible that all of the top 4 in Reg D will outpoint them come semi-final time.

Of course, there's still some big games left, Ridgeview/Abingdon, Union/Abingdon, Twin Springs/Thomas Walker and maybe, just maybe Richlands/Va High, that will impact the point outcomes more than anything.

Looks like Holston and Galax are locks for the #1 seeds in Class 1 barring some upsets of monumental proportions. The #2 seeds are still TBD, but Twin Springs and Giles hold their own fate.

19 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Based on the craziness of this season, I've been hesitant to do this, but I'll lay out some obvious scenarios of interest. And these are all based on PPs. Not entirely sure how the seeds will be determined.

• Graham will be #1 in the west with a 9-0 record. Even with a loss to Pulaski, they will outpoint everyone but Glenvar, which doesn't matter, because they aren't getting past Appo barring a meltdown
  • Burton and Thomas Walker may determine the M7 #1 seed. If TW defeats Burton, Union and Ridgeview could possibly be tied in PPs, giving Union the upper hand with the head to head.
  • Burton could also determine the M7 4th and final seed. If Burton gets wins over Castlewood and TW, Lee could sneak ahead of GC by 1 pt.
  • Tazewell could lose the #3 seed to Richlands if they makeup the game against Battle AND WIN. They could finish .133 pts behind Richlands. They're better off not making that game up
  • Va High, too, could be hurt by making up the Lebanon game and winning. They could actually fall behind Union. They would still be the #2 seed in the SWD, but wouldn't be able to outpoint Appo if it came down to that.
  • Oddly enough, Appo's fate will rest with Lord Botetourt and the Rustburg/Jefferson Forrest games. If those teams falter on their games, it's possible that all of the top 4 in Reg D will outpoint them come semi-final time.

Of course, there's still some big games left, Ridgeview/Abingdon, Union/Abingdon, Twin Springs/Thomas Walker and maybe, just maybe Richlands/Va High, that will impact the point outcomes more than anything.

Looks like Holston and Galax are locks for the #1 seeds in Class 1 barring some upsets of monumental proportions. The #2 seeds are still TBD, but Twin Springs and Giles hold their own fate.

Thanks! I feel a little better as we prepare to head over to Dobson Stadium!

Go G-Men!

If your Tazewell, you play that game.  Tazewell will still have to pick their poison.  Be it Union, Central, or Ridgeview.  You know you are either the 3 or 4 seed from the SWD, so you know you have to travel to one of the three teams above anyway.  It's a given, so, does it matter whether you are the 3 or 4 in Tazewell's situation?  It doesn't matter one bit.  It's a wash.  You are getting the same caliber of team and having to travel to their place; therefore, if your Tazewell, not playing against Battle will actually HURT you if anything.  That's one more game to help get things together and to give that inexperienced line to further come together and have another game under their belt.  By not playing, you are losing valuable experience, and it's the valuable experience, if you are Tazewell, that you hope at least gives you a chance to pull an upset on the road in round one.  So, in my opinion, if your Tazewell, you would be foolish not to play that game with Battle.  The win, even though against Battle, still gives 17 year old kids some kind of mo, and if they are somehow in a tight game in round one on the road, those little things could possibly be the tipping point to get them an upset.   Only my opinion.

Same for Virginia High.  God forbid Va High not play a game because they are worried about whether they outpoint Appo when Virginia High has to go through a juggernaut three game series in Region D just to have a chance to play Appo or Glenvar.  Same for Virginia High, you want that game to bring it all together, to tighten up the little things as much as you can in order to get ready for the vicious on-slot schedule that's to come, and in a tight game in the Region, playing that extra game might just be enough to get them over the top.  So, like Tazewell, Va High would be absolutely foolish not to play.  It has the ability to hurt them far more than help them in my opinion by them not playing.  

1 minute ago, vtdavis4321 said:

If your Tazewell, you play that game.  Tazewell will still have to pick their poison.  Be it Union, Central, or Ridgeview.  You know you are either the 3 or 4 seed from the SWD, so you know you have to travel to one of the three teams above anyway.  It's a given, so, does it matter whether you are the 3 or 4 in Tazewell's situation?  It doesn't matter one bit.  It's a wash.  You are getting the same caliber of team and having to travel to their place; therefore, if your Tazewell, not playing against Battle will actually HURT you if anything.  That's one more game to help get things together and to give that inexperienced line to further come together and have another game under their belt.  By not playing, you are losing valuable experience, and it's the valuable experience, if you are Tazewell, that you hope at least gives you a chance to pull an upset on the road in round one.  So, in my opinion, if your Tazewell, you would be foolish not to play that game with Battle.  The win, even though against Battle, still gives 17 year old kids some kind of mo, and if they are somehow in a tight game in round one on the road, those little things could possibly be the tipping point to get them an upset.   Only my opinion.

Same for Virginia High.  God forbid Va High not play a game because they are worried about whether they outpoint Appo when Virginia High has to go through a juggernaut three game series in Region D just to have a chance to play Appo or Glenvar.  Same for Virginia High, you want that game to bring it all together, to tighten up the little things as much as you can in order to get ready for the vicious on-slot schedule that's to come, and in a tight game in the Region, playing that extra game might just be enough to get them over the top.  So, like Tazewell, Va High would be absolutely foolish not to play.  It has the ability to hurt them far more than help them in my opinion by them not playing.  

Plus the fact that it's an extra game for seniors to play in what is most of their final season putting on pads

1 hour ago, generallyspeaking said:

I’m sure this will take some crazy calculating but say that Lee and Gate City both miraculously win out and both end up 6-4. Gate City beating Battle, Central and Ridgeview. Lee beating Central Battle and Abingdon. What do the playoffs look like? 

GC and Lee would be the M7 3 and 4 seeds, and Central would be out. 

59 minutes ago, oldfool said:

Anyone willing to predict a state Champion?  I'm putting my money on Graham.

It's gonna be Graham or Appo Central is the dark horse.  Union has suddenly forgotten how to play defense

Who would get the 1 seed in Mountain 7 if Abingdon beats Union that would leave a 3 way tie with Union, Ridgeview, wise with 2 district loses assuming Ridgeview beats Gate City and wise beats Gate city? 

2 hours ago, oldfool said:

Anyone willing to predict a state Champion?  I'm putting my money on Graham.

I’m not putting money on anyone except Appo, lol! Y’all are champions to beat. It’s a gauntlet for any team in C & D to make it. Graham can’t play like they did last night & make it to a state championship game in my opinion. King William & Nottoway seem to be hot right now. I’ll be interested to see how A/B shakes out. 

Riverheads wouldn't win the 2A title.  They wouldn't beat Appo and they probably wouldn't beat Graham or King William.  In Class 3, Heritage and LCA would crush them.  Phoebus would crush them.  In Class 4, Salem still has a football team in Salem, so cancel that one right there, but add Dinwiddie to the mix and it's a no brainer.  

Line up Appo vs Riverheads right now on a neutral field, and I'm picking Appo by not 1, but 2 touchdowns.

Hard to pick against Appo until they lose, but Graham is deep, and I told ya'll, when King William put up 62 on Lafayette, that sealed the deal for me. I don't need to see or know anything else from that point in order to know one thing.......I'm not picking against KW regardless of who they play. You do not do that to Lafayette. Nobody does. That's just plain filthy offense.

I think they would definitely be in the mix.  I think a toss up game with Graham and King William.  With Appo, I just couldn't pick em in the big game.  To put it better, I couldn't pick against Appo in the big game, but no question, they would be in the mix, but if I had to take Riverheads in Class 2 versus the field (Appo, K.William, Graham), I lean to the field.

A solid case can be made for Graham, KW, Nottoway, Glenvar and even Draft but paper isn’t grass/turf so until someone does it on the field Appo is the clear favorite. And I am not sure why anyone would mention Riverheads as even though I think they would compete with a good many teams,  there are several in 2A alone that would just be bad matchups. Anything is possible but that doesn’t mean it probable.