Jump to content

Preseason Region D


Tigerman10
 Share

Recommended Posts

 
 
1 hour ago, cityofRaven said:

Lebanon will be in the mix in 1D. They've made a few additions I hear.

I had heard that, but what I saw last year was a two man team and both of those cats graduated. Until I see them those others teams get the nod. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Not sure about 1D but 2D I would go.....

Mountain 7

1. Union 

2. Abingdon (3D)

3. Ridgeview

4. Gate City

5. Central

6. John Battle 

7. Lee

 

1. Union - The defending state champs and loaded even with losing the Cusano kid. Not a lot else really needs to be said.  Only have to look at Coach Moore’s schedule to see what he thinks about his team. A date in the Arby’s Classic says enough.  
 

2. Abingdon - The 3A state Runnerup this year. Could possibly be the sleeper for Mountain 7 champion. Will have 6’9 and 6’10 in the post. Only thing that comes to mind with this is the Houston Rockets and the Twin Towers. Coach Williams is loaded for the future with these guys.  Falcons also playing in the Arby’s Classic.  Two M7 teams in the Arby’s Classic?  That’s says a lot about the district.  
 

3. Ridgeview - This is where the Mountain 7 will stay strong or drop.  Wolfpack has been very competitive of late. Will not be strong enough to overtake the top 2 because of intangibles the top 2 have that they don’t.  Only until they get those intangibles will they compete for the championship. 
 

4. Gate City - Lost the head coach and six seniors I believe it is.  I see the Devils as competitive but not playing at the level they were once at.  Also hearing from people I know over that way that some of the coaches are more focused on “the next state team” coming up in 6th and 7th grade anyway and really worried about this year. Future of the program being good again is three or four years down the line. Next few years probably looking at a above .500 team.

5. Central - Hard to say how this team will do.  Not sure who is even coaching them anymore.  Central had some athletes last year.  Having the ability to turn it into some good basketball and wins might be another story.  
 

6. John Battle - The school will probably never win or even contend for a district championship until they actually get some things out of their system. From what I’m hearing from those parents involved in the program, the coaches run their own thing. They might do one thing on one level and do something else totally on another level which lends to instability.  The school has a policy that disallows great underclassmen players from playing varsity if the varsity has enough upperclassmen come out for the team. Don’t count on any freshmen or sophomores having a strong varsity career at Battle if the school doesn’t want to win anyway.  
And third according to one coach I’ve talked to in the district, they are not the smartest tool in the shed win it comes to winning basketball games and they aren’t really worried about losing to them because of it. 
 

7.  Lee - The Generals are only here because they are going through a youth movement. But this youth movement will pay off in the future.  Folks in Lee County are excited about what the upcoming classes of players can bring.  
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Southwest District 

1. Graham

2. Virginia High

3. Tazewell

4. Richlands 

5. Marion. 
 

Region D Tournament presiction

1. Graham vs 4. Gate City

2. Virginia High vs  3. Central

3. Tazewell vs 2. Ridgeview

4. Richlands vs 1. Union

 

Region D Semifinals 

1. Graham vs 2. Virginia High

3. Tazewell vs 1. Union

 

Region D Finals 

1. Graham vs 1. Union

 

Region D Champion 

1. Union 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
 

Having watched some girls games as well  last year it is my opinion that Gate City is by far and away the absolute very team to beat this year. With their talent they should be head and shoulders above everyone. 
With as much talent as I have been told they have coming back and coming up to varsity they honestly should not lose one game.  They should go undefeated. All the guards they have plus the tall girl inside.  It’s not a matter of if they when the state championship but by how much.  
 

The next closest team way way way down the line in the M7 would probably be Abingdon. I think they had some good underclassmen cloning back.  Not good enough to beat the Devils though.  Not even close. 
 

The third best team I think would be Ridgeview. They are always competitive and a contender for the championship in my opinion.  I’ve heard Ridgeview and GCs girls had some physicality in their games.  But that’s probably the only way Ridgeview or any other team would even have the slightest chance of beating GC this year.  Knocking them out. Literally.  
 

The fourth best team in the M7 would probably be Union.  Like Abingdon they had some really good talent coming back and it was young talent. So they should be good.  Just not contender good.  
 

The fifth best team would most likely be Central.  Everything will probably run through their pg of the future which will probably hurt them more than help them.  
 

The sixth best team is a tough one.  I am going to go with Lee on this one.  Battle and Lee are in a dead heat when it comes to trying to decide who will finish higher than the other. Depending what type of players are on the floor and who is leading them on the sideline will depend a lot on the success of the Generals. 
 

The team I have finishing last in the district in girls basketball is John Battle.  Let’s just face facts.  This team might have some of the most athletic girls in the district but will still finish dead last.  As many of my friends have stated up here or down in here in the basement,  the zone defenses aren’t going to do anything but keep scores low and slow down a game that probably needs to be sped up.  That would only happen playing man and a lot of pressure applied but this will never happen up here.  No matter who becomes the next one up unless the philosophy changes the results never will.  The Trojans aren’t going anywhere on either side and that’s a shame given what they could be if maxed out in their potential.  You get what you put in and the Trojans do not put anything in that will scare you.  They haven’t in about. 24 years anyway.  Might as well chalk up 25 from what I’m hearing.  
Really strange how the Trojans use freshman and sophomores on their varsity girls but not on varsity boys.  I guess that’s why baseball, softball and volleyball will always rule the roost up on the hill. Those teams know what it takes to win. 
 

Mountain 7 District Prediction 

1. Gate City

2. Abingdon 

3. Ridgeview

4. Union

5. Central

6. Lee

7. John Battle 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Region D predictions - Girls 

Southwest 

1. Marion

2. Virginia High

3. Richlands 

4. Graham

5. Tazewell

 

Region D Tournament prediction 

1. Gate Citu vs 4 Graham

2. Ridgeview vs 3. Richlands 

3. Union vs  2. Virginia High 

4. Central vs  1. Marion 

 

Region D Tournament Semis prediction

1. Gate City vs  2. Ridgeview 

2. Virginia High vs 1. Marion 

 

Region D Finals prediction

1. Gate City vs  1. Virginia High

 

Region D Champions 

1. Gate City

 

State Finals 

Round 3 - Gate City vs Luray

Wimner TBD

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
 
3 hours ago, Clippers#1 said:

??? How in the world is Honaker above Twin Springs?

Honaker lost one player off last years team and brought in a transfer and two impact freshmen.  I’m well aware of the head to head result last year, but that seemed to my eye to be the result of one player having a nuclear hot shooting night which is hard to account for 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
14 hours ago, Tigerman10 said:

Honaker lost one player off last years team and brought in a transfer and two impact freshmen.  I’m well aware of the head to head result last year, but that seemed to my eye to be the result of one player having a nuclear hot shooting night which is hard to account for 

I felt like RC and TS were very close in talent last year, but unfortunately both times RC played TS they had more than one with nuclear hot shooting nights and blew RC out both times.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
3 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

I felt like RC and TS were very close in talent last year, but unfortunately both times RC played TS they had more than one with nuclear hot shooting nights and blew RC out both times.  

Perhaps that’s why they could struggle in a one game elimination setting-live by the three die by the three

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
On 10/28/2021 at 11:57 PM, BasementBaller2021 said:

Having watched some girls games as well  last year it is my opinion that Gate City is by far and away the absolute very team to beat this year. With their talent they should be head and shoulders above everyone. 
With as much talent as I have been told they have coming back and coming up to varsity they honestly should not lose one game.  They should go undefeated. All the guards they have plus the tall girl inside.  It’s not a matter of if they when the state championship but by how much.  
 

The next closest team way way way down the line in the M7 would probably be Abingdon. I think they had some good underclassmen cloning back.  Not good enough to beat the Devils though.  Not even close. 
 

The third best team I think would be Ridgeview. They are always competitive and a contender for the championship in my opinion.  I’ve heard Ridgeview and GCs girls had some physicality in their games.  But that’s probably the only way Ridgeview or any other team would even have the slightest chance of beating GC this year.  Knocking them out. Literally.  
 

The fourth best team in the M7 would probably be Union.  Like Abingdon they had some really good talent coming back and it was young talent. So they should be good.  Just not contender good.  
 

The fifth best team would most likely be Central.  Everything will probably run through their pg of the future which will probably hurt them more than help them.  
 

The sixth best team is a tough one.  I am going to go with Lee on this one.  Battle and Lee are in a dead heat when it comes to trying to decide who will finish higher than the other. Depending what type of players are on the floor and who is leading them on the sideline will depend a lot on the success of the Generals. 
 

The team I have finishing last in the district in girls basketball is John Battle.  Let’s just face facts.  This team might have some of the most athletic girls in the district but will still finish dead last.  As many of my friends have stated up here or down in here in the basement,  the zone defenses aren’t going to do anything but keep scores low and slow down a game that probably needs to be sped up.  That would only happen playing man and a lot of pressure applied but this will never happen up here.  No matter who becomes the next one up unless the philosophy changes the results never will.  The Trojans aren’t going anywhere on either side and that’s a shame given what they could be if maxed out in their potential.  You get what you put in and the Trojans do not put anything in that will scare you.  They haven’t in about. 24 years anyway.  Might as well chalk up 25 from what I’m hearing.  
Really strange how the Trojans use freshman and sophomores on their varsity girls but not on varsity boys.  I guess that’s why baseball, softball and volleyball will always rule the roost up on the hill. Those teams know what it takes to win. 
 

Mountain 7 District Prediction 

1. Gate City

2. Abingdon 

3. Ridgeview

4. Union

5. Central

6. Lee

7. John Battle 

 

 

That's not to bad for Union.  My niece is a sophomore and I'm thinking the whole team is back with no seniors.  I figured Gate City would be good they got the 1 kid whose a sophomore and will dominate every sport she plays

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
On 11/5/2021 at 10:55 AM, Tigerman10 said:

Perhaps that’s why they could struggle in a one game elimination setting-live by the three die by the three

They have the ballhandling and quickness to drive and create around the bucket also when the outside shot isnt there.  Going into last year I felt like TS's weakness was around the boards and doing the little things.  They had lost a lot of those type of kids from the year before.  They return more this year than last year I believe and that year of growth by the kids needing to do the little things is probably what makes the biggest difference for them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Union should be a tough out once again. May be not winning a state title but they'll play very good defense, they have size and they have a legit go to scorer. Gonna need to create some offense tho with both Cusano and Rasnick gone. That's like 30ppg you gotta make up somewhere. Maybe it'll be Anderson, Honeycutt picks up more of scoring load, Jenkins, etc...  

 

Abingdon may end up being the best team around. Can't teach size and having two huge kids, one in Ramsey who's very talented and will only continue to improve his offensive game but he already alters so many shots on defense. They lost all their wings IIRC so they'll need to replace some ball handling with O'Quinn, Hungate, etc... all gone. If they can find enough ball handling to get the ball up court and not allow a defense to totally sag, they'll be very tough to beat. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
On 10/28/2021 at 1:03 PM, BasementBaller2021 said:

Not sure about 1D but 2D I would go.....

Mountain 7

1. Union 

2. Abingdon (3D)

3. Ridgeview

4. Gate City

5. Central

6. John Battle 

7. Lee

 

1. Union - The defending state champs and loaded even with losing the Cusano kid. Not a lot else really needs to be said.  Only have to look at Coach Moore’s schedule to see what he thinks about his team. A date in the Arby’s Classic says enough.  
 

 

what happened to the cusano kid? He was a huge part of Union’s success

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
 
 
 
On 11/5/2021 at 7:49 AM, 1inStripes said:

I felt like RC and TS were very close in talent last year, but unfortunately both times RC played TS they had more than one with nuclear hot shooting nights and blew RC out both times.  

HA HA 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Lebanon is definitely my favorite for 1D. Most of there guys are just freak athletes with three of them already winning the baseball title last year. They’ve got at least 3 guys that are transfers (with one of them being 6’6) and they only have three guys under 6 feet but they’re some of the quickest guys in the area. Just to name one. Zach Hertig

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
On 10/28/2021 at 11:57 PM, BasementBaller2021 said:

Having watched some girls games as well  last year it is my opinion that Gate City is by far and away the absolute very team to beat this year. With their talent they should be head and shoulders above everyone. 
With as much talent as I have been told they have coming back and coming up to varsity they honestly should not lose one game.  They should go undefeated. All the guards they have plus the tall girl inside.  It’s not a matter of if they when the state championship but by how much.  
 

The next closest team way way way down the line in the M7 would probably be Abingdon. I think they had some good underclassmen cloning back.  Not good enough to beat the Devils though.  Not even close. 
 

The third best team I think would be Ridgeview. They are always competitive and a contender for the championship in my opinion.  I’ve heard Ridgeview and GCs girls had some physicality in their games.  But that’s probably the only way Ridgeview or any other team would even have the slightest chance of beating GC this year.  Knocking them out. Literally.  
 

The fourth best team in the M7 would probably be Union.  Like Abingdon they had some really good talent coming back and it was young talent. So they should be good.  Just not contender good.  
 

The fifth best team would most likely be Central.  Everything will probably run through their pg of the future which will probably hurt them more than help them.  
 

The sixth best team is a tough one.  I am going to go with Lee on this one.  Battle and Lee are in a dead heat when it comes to trying to decide who will finish higher than the other. Depending what type of players are on the floor and who is leading them on the sideline will depend a lot on the success of the Generals. 
 

The team I have finishing last in the district in girls basketball is John Battle.  Let’s just face facts.  This team might have some of the most athletic girls in the district but will still finish dead last.  As many of my friends have stated up here or down in here in the basement,  the zone defenses aren’t going to do anything but keep scores low and slow down a game that probably needs to be sped up.  That would only happen playing man and a lot of pressure applied but this will never happen up here.  No matter who becomes the next one up unless the philosophy changes the results never will.  The Trojans aren’t going anywhere on either side and that’s a shame given what they could be if maxed out in their potential.  You get what you put in and the Trojans do not put anything in that will scare you.  They haven’t in about. 24 years anyway.  Might as well chalk up 25 from what I’m hearing.  
Really strange how the Trojans use freshman and sophomores on their varsity girls but not on varsity boys.  I guess that’s why baseball, softball and volleyball will always rule the roost up on the hill. Those teams know what it takes to win. 
 

Mountain 7 District Prediction 

1. Gate City

2. Abingdon 

3. Ridgeview

4. Union

5. Central

6. Lee

7. John Battle 

 

 

Gate City should be pretty good. I think they returned a good amount but they still lost that one girl to ETSU. It'll be interesting to see how they play after losing her. She was everything for that team last year.

Ridgeview has a tall girl. I think her name is Sutherland maybe. She's a solid big and a great defender. I don't know much about the other teams but I think those 2 will do just fine this year.

That Mountain 7 is a different animal in girls basketball!! Lots of talented players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
  • 3 weeks later...
 
 
On 12/5/2021 at 8:39 PM, stantheman said:

you have wise central number 4 in girls,  they will run away with this district,    ridgeview and GC will compete for number 2,   mcamis family finally have a ballplayer   she is the real deal

Yeah I've seen them vs Union.  They have 13 players and full court press the whole game.  Probably have about 5 true PGs.  If they finish 4th I'd hate to see the other 3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...