Week 11 updates

VHSLhelper

40 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

Smart ass question?

Yes.  It was a smart ass question.  You can find at least 3 threads where va high was coined the 2 seed  in the swd for last last few weeks.  ( not because of technicalities) , they were pinned in as they had won the head to head .  A few posters made reference to the fact that a game still needed  to be played. The others said it was as  a va high win. Fastest team in the area etc.

Richlands is down , no doubt.   But they have been down a couple of times since the late 90s and have never lost to va high during that time.  The new coach will probably toughen up that schedule in time. You can’t play Chilhowie , PH, Battle , etc , etc , instead of RV , Abingdon , Crocket , .  It kills you late in season.  It’s not a fluke occurrence.   Richlands at 5-5 played union to to the wire Mitchell’s senior season in playoffs.  The next year at 5-5 , they made it to the regional championship, beating RV and Grayson on the way.  Doesn't always happen.   But a 4-6 , 5-5 that has been tested can usually play well later in season.  Va high has improved. Coaching staff has upgraded.  They will get better , but no where as good as the hype.   Webb  and Brown had huge games against them last year , the year before , and this year.  So it just wasn’t a surprise to everyone the game turned out that way.  

Galax started the 2015 season 1-4 with losses to Glenvar (20-15), Radford (33-26), Wythe (28-27), and Giles (35-24). They won the next 10 games in a row, beating Riverheads 7-6 in the state championship game. 

Blacksburg went 5-5 in 2016 with losses to Giles, Salem, PH Roanoke, Hidden Valley and Abingdon. They won the 4A state championship game that season, beating Lord Botetourt, Brookville, Heritage, Phoebus, and Staunton River in the playoffs. You don’t run that postseason gauntlet without being prepared in the regular season. 

Virginia High is vastly improved, with a significant improvement within the coaching staff. The schedule needs to be the next thing the school addresses. 

9 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Galax started the 2015 season 1-4 with losses to Glenvar (20-15), Radford (33-26), Wythe (28-27), and Giles (35-24). They won the next 10 games in a row, beating Riverheads 7-6 in the state championship game. 

Blacksburg went 5-5 in 2016 with losses to Giles, Salem, PH Roanoke, Hidden Valley and Abingdon. They won the 4A state championship game that season, beating Lord Botetourt, Brookville, Heritage, Phoebus, and Staunton River in the playoffs. You don’t run that postseason gauntlet without being prepared in the regular season. 

Virginia High is vastly improved, with a significant improvement within the coaching staff. The schedule needs to be the next thing the school addresses. 

I remember telling people that Galax was a scary 1-4 team that year. 

1 hour ago, tiger2001 said:

Yes.  It was a smart ass question.  You can find at least 3 threads where va high was coined the 2 seed  in the swd for last last few weeks.  ( not because of technicalities) , they were pinned in as they had won the head to head .  A few posters made reference to the fact that a game still needed  to be played. The others said it was as  a va high win. Fastest team in the area etc.

Richlands is down , no doubt.   But they have been down a couple of times since the late 90s and have never lost to va high during that time.  The new coach will probably toughen up that schedule in time. You can’t play Chilhowie , PH, Battle , etc , etc , instead of RV , Abingdon , Crocket , .  It kills you late in season.  It’s not a fluke occurrence.   Richlands at 5-5 played union to to the wire Mitchell’s senior season in playoffs.  The next year at 5-5 , they made it to the regional championship, beating RV and Grayson on the way.  Doesn't always happen.   But a 4-6 , 5-5 that has been tested can usually play well later in season.  Va high has improved. Coaching staff has upgraded.  They will get better , but no where as good as the hype.   Webb  and Brown had huge games against them last year , the year before , and this year.  So it just wasn’t a surprise to everyone the game turned out that way.  

I said the game was going to be close, and I never said VA High was going to win. Why don’t you schedule for VA High next year, and help the AD out. As far as the Hogohegee comment, it was a dickhead comment. Great job by Richlands taking the Wedge package 99.5 yards and changing in the game. They deserved to win and VA High has to learn from those situations. VA High played the schedule the Athletic department made…there wasn’t a TN High or Abingdon on the schedule. I will say this, it has instilled more confidence in the kids and help build depth by getting more kids out and renewing interest in the program. To each it’s own. 

So, Lee High I understand is actually in the playoffs over Gate City. An absolute laugher. I can't believe the M7 is actually going to go through with it and let them in after having a district record 1 game worse than GC, and losing to GC by 2 TDs, and both teams having the same overall record. Absolutely pathetic by the M7.

I've written this about 3 times, so this is my last. It's clearly a dead horse, but I just can't get my head around it.  Can't blame the Generals. I wouldn't give up my spot to the Devils, but in the back of my mind, I will have known that......I jobbed somebody to be able to receive this blessed arse kicking at Mitchell Stadium.

1 hour ago, FoxTrot said:

I said the game was going to be close, and I never said VA High was going to win. Why don’t you schedule for VA High next year, and help the AD out. As far as the Hogohegee comment, it was a dickhead comment. Great job by Richlands taking the Wedge package 99.5 yards and changing in the game. They deserved to win and VA High has to learn from those situations. VA High played the schedule the Athletic department made…there wasn’t a TN High or Abingdon on the schedule. I will say this, it has instilled more confidence in the kids and help build depth by getting more kids out and renewing interest in the program. To each it’s own. 

Listen.  You got a little sensitive to the comment about the Hogo.  I’m not the Ad.  Why would I want to schedule you tougher opponents.  I like it the way it is. Just stating that several ( you can look ) said the game was not in question. Look back at the threads.  I’ve never said anything to you on this forum.  Period.    You got red assed at my hogo comment that wasn’t at all in any way directed toward you.  Maybe you liked beating Chilhowie a tad more than you should. I didn’t take that into consideration and apologize.  It’s actually a smart move by the AD to play an easier schedule when you’ve been down so long.  This wasn’t a critical post about your AD. He is a good one.  It was for for any uneducated fans that would take the bait, and it worked.  

28 minutes ago, tiger2001 said:

Listen.  You got a little sensitive to the comment about the Hogo.  I’m not the Ad.  Why would I want to schedule you tougher opponents.  I like it the way it is. Just stating that several ( you can look ) said the game was not in question. Look back at the threads.  I’ve never said anything to you on this forum.  Period.    You got red assed at my hogo comment that wasn’t at all in any way directed toward you.  Maybe you liked beating Chilhowie a tad more than you should. I didn’t take that into consideration and apologize.  It’s actually a smart move by the AD to play an easier schedule when you’ve been down so long.  This wasn’t a critical post about your AD. He is a good one.  It was for for any uneducated fans that would take the bait, and it worked.  

I’m was discussing this with some others a few weeks ago.  I was asked about Va High and what were my thoughts.  I told them that they may have the most team speed in the region but weren’t battle hardened.  We talked about the Class A teams and Va High running the scores up and not facing tough DL and OLs.  They will learn from this and they get another shot next week.  Let’s see how they handle Union’s game plan.

28 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

I’m was discussing this with some others a few weeks ago.  I was asked about Va High and what were my thoughts.  I told them that they may have the most team speed in the region but weren’t battle hardened.  We talked about the Class A teams and Va High running the scores up and not facing tough DL and OLs.  They will learn from this and they get another shot next week.  Let’s see how they handle Union’s game plan.

Have to wonder if the Blues can beat Ridgeview.  Richlands I think, isn't losing 49-14ish or whatever the score was in the first contest.  Could be much, much closer.

2 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Bearcats are still a very good football team.  It's pretty obvious, there's clearly a mental thing going on with them and Richlands.  Last night, a couple of those 10 and 15 yard slant in's (inward routes) and the QB for VH overthrows the ball by 4 and 5 yards.  Receiver open, just not terribly close with some of the passes.  He really hasn't done that all year.  This tells me there is something going on upstairs (mentally) with VH when they play the Blues.   Richlands showed up and played like it was the SuperBowl.  Have to give credit to Richlands.  Look, Richlands looked great.  They played lights out, but the knock on Richlands through the season wasn't unjustified.  They absolutely had NOT beat 1 good team all year long, until last night.  I think Va High is still good enough to caused Union problems, if Union doesn't come to play and just shows up and goes through the motions.  

VA High is good enough to win the Hogohegee..😂

12 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Have to wonder if the Blues can beat Ridgeview.  Richlands I think, isn't losing 49-14ish or whatever the score was in the first contest.  Could be much, much closer.

I’ve warned some RV fans about this.  The Blues will say “#7 will not beat us this time.”  They will man and/or bracket him and it will be up to Hill, Q’ Quinn and Counts to make plays.  

10 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

The Bearcats aren't done yet.  I'm not so sure Union is an absolute slam dunk over Va High.   Might be closer than many think.

Va High can absolutely beat Union. They couldn’t beat the Union team in weeks 1-4. Or the team that played RV. But with things being the way they are, I’d probably make VA High a 2-3 point favorite. 

16 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Va High can absolutely beat Union. They couldn’t beat the Union team in weeks 1-4. Or the team that played RV. But with things being the way they are, I’d probably make VA High a 2-3 point favorite. 

All Va High needs to do is watch the Abingdon game. Put in the I formation and run lead 7 about 20 times. Union defense was unable to stop the play.

2 minutes ago, foosballer said:

All Va High needs to do is watch the Abingdon game. Put in the I formation and run lead 7 about 20 times. Union defense was unable to stop the play.

Yep. Looked like the same play was on replay. Rewatched on NFHS and literally just looked like the same clip over and over and over. 

6 minutes ago, foosballer said:

I'm hearing Union DC will run a 1-1-9 Defense so we'll be hard to pass on lol.