Official Fall 2021 1st round Pairings

VHSLhelper

all games will be Fri. @ 7 unless noted

(as of 12:45 pm Wed, per the vhsl, sheesh!,unless noted)

1-D

#6 Twin Valley (7-3)  @ #3 Pat. Henry (GS) (7-3)
#7 Eastside (5-4) @ #2 Twin Springs (8-1) - SAT @ 1 

#5 Grundy (5-4) @ #4 Chilhowie (7-3)
#8 Honaker (5-5) @ #1 Holston (10-0)

2-D

M-3 Ridgeview (7-3) @ S-2 Richlands (4-5)
S-4 Tazewell (5-5) @ M-1 Central (7-3) - TBA

S-3 Va. High (8-2) @ M-2 Union (7-3) - TBA
M-4 Lee (4-6) @ S-1 Graham (9-0)

1-C

#6 Narrows (5-5) @ #3 Parry McCluer (7-3) - TBA
#7 Eastern Montgomery (5-5) @ #2 Giles (6-2*)

#5 Covington (4-5) @ #4 George Wythe (6-3)  (thur) - CCD/FFT
#8 Grayson Co. (5-5) @ #1 Galax (7-2)

2-C

#6 Floyd Co. (6-4) @ #3 Radford (7-3)
#7 Gretna (5-5) @ #2 Appomattox Co. (8-1) - TBA

#5 Martinsville (4-5) @ #4 James River (5-5) - TBA
#8 Patrick Co. (2-7) @ #1 Glenvar (9-1)

3-D

#6 Magna Vista (5-5) @ #3 Bassett (8-2)
#7 Northside (4-6) @ #2 Abingdon (9-1)

#5 Lord Botetourt (6-3) @ #4 Hidden Valley (7-3)
#8 Staunton River(4-5) @ #1 Christiansburg (9-1)

4-D

#6 Halifax Co. (7-2) @ #3 Western Albemarle (9-1) - TBA
#7 Orange Co. (6-4) @ #2 GW-Danville (7-1)

#5 Louisa Co. (8-2) @ #4 E.C. Glass (8-2) - TBA (Glass says THUR @ 7:00 @ City Stadium)
#8 Amherst Co. (4-5) @ #1 Salem (9-1) 

Edited by VHSLhelper

PLAYOFF TIDBITS

-JI Burton will miss the playoffs for the 1st time in 20 years.

-A postseason game will be played in Nickelsville for the 1st time in 17 years.

-The last time Holston was 10-0, Ronald Reagan was still in his first term.

-Doug Hubbard will have coached Honaker in the postseason in each of the past FIVE decades. 

-Graham completes its 5th undefeated regular season in school history.

Source: fourseasonsfootball.com 

3 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

PLAYOFF TIDBITS

-JI Burton will miss the playoffs for the 1st time in 20 years.

-A postseason game will be played in Nickelsville for the 1st time in 17 years.

-The last time Holston was 10-0, Ronald Reagan was still in his first term.

-Doug Hubbard will have coached Honaker in the postseason in each of the past FIVE decades. 

-Graham completes its 5th undefeated regular season in school history.

Source: fourseasonsfootball.com 

Tazewell ties its record for most consecutive playoff appearances with 3.  In all likelihood, that’ll be broken next season, given that Tazewell returns 9 of 11 on offense and 7 of 11 on defense.

2 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Wow 2D looks ridiculous with Ridgeview traveling to Richlands and VA High to Union even though I think Union is better team.  So PP didn't matter at all

Doesn’t look like for VA High who would be hosting as 2nd in PP. Richlands would definitely not be hosting as #6. 

If not using pp for anything but tie breaker,  then do it.  Just weird not to use for seeding. Take top2 from the district and move on.  Puts more emphasis on winning/competing within the district first. 

Or make it like the NFL, with a couple of wild card games. Less than .500 shouldn't be considered in a normal year. 

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I'm a fan of top 6.  Byr week for top 2.

Yeah there's way too many teams now making playoffs.  I wouldn't even mind 4 but not sure how to do it right.  If you go to 4 I guess teams will start finding 1A schools who win 6 or 7 games since they'll get 2A points for it

8 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I'm a fan of top 6.  Byr week for top 2.

I like that idea plus don’t give 2A points for playing 1A schools. That’s plain idiotic in my opinion. It’s ridiculous to have teams with a losing record in the playoffs. Once again, just my opinion. 

IF we were still doing East/West but only taking top 8 teams(which is my preferred setup) 

West                                                               East 

1 Graham v 8 Ridgeview                                1 Nottoway v 8 Brunswick 

2 Glenvar v 7 Radford                                    2 Central Woodstock v 7 Poquoson

3 Appomattox v 6 Union                                 3 King William v 6 Buckingham 

4 Virginia v 5 Central Wise                             4 Stuarts Draft v 5 Clarke 

2 hours ago, redtiger said:

IF we were still doing East/West but only taking top 8 teams(which is my preferred setup) 

2 Glenvar v 7 Radford                                    2 Central Woodstock v 7 Poquoson

3 Appomattox v 6 Union                                 3 King William v 6 Buckingham 

4 Virginia v 5 Central Wise                             4 Stuarts Draft v 5 Clarke 

Like the idea of the East and West like it was for simple fact of new teams to face.  However I will still make a couple of point that I believe in.  This is the last chance 95% of those kids will ever set foot on a field again.  How many people would always like to have just one more.  Even if you go get murdered, it could be an experience for you.  Imagine never having played them before but you get to set foot on the field at Union or Graham.  I'm all for saying you should have to have at least a breakeven season but sometimes getting to play in a playoff game could be just the boost needed to get more kids out or to get the current ones in the weight room more so that next year they can make a statement.

All for winning games and having a great show but bottom line is this is for the players and you never know what that could really mean to them.

10 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Like the idea of the East and West like it was for simple fact of new teams to face.  However I will still make a couple of point that I believe in.  This is the last chance 95% of those kids will ever set foot on a field again.  How many people would always like to have just one more.  Even if you go get murdered, it could be an experience for you.  Imagine never having played them before but you get to set foot on the field at Union or Graham.  I'm all for saying you should have to have at least a breakeven season but sometimes getting to play in a playoff game could be just the boost needed to get more kids out or to get the current ones in the weight room more so that next year they can make a statement.

All for winning games and having a great show but bottom line is this is for the players and you never know what that could really mean to them.

Great point....also take a team like the Pack....in that scenario they are likely going home with 1 playoff game as opposed to getting a chance at a great rivalry matchup in a week in Norton.....

But I personally like the way it is not because it makes the VHSL more money......and that makes me warm and fuzzy inside..

20 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

100% agree with letting the kids get in as many games as possible. I was/am a fan of the +1 games for non-playoff teams. A final game vs a competitive team, great all around solution imo but I don't like the 2-8/3-7 8 seeds getting slaughtered by the 1 seed. 

5 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I like that idea plus don’t give 2A points for playing 1A schools. That’s plain idiotic in my opinion. It’s ridiculous to have teams with a losing record in the playoffs. Once again, just my opinion. 

2A points for playing 1A schools is the reason Lee High is coming to Bluefield. The system was designed to account for strength of schedule and LACK of strength  of schedule. What would a normal Washington DC copycat passifist appeasing tool do at the VHSL? They simply work in a formula to counteract the same formula in use!!!!  

The problem is the mindset that ALL THINGS must be perfectly fair, and with bureaucracy,  all things can be fair, and the truth is, all things can NEVER be perfectly fair.  So, Abingdon has to travel a bit more East to play more 3A schools, whoopty do. Life goes on. People and teams bitc# and moan about inequality  when they could be setting the standard and putting the work in on how to overcome it, and be an example on how to deal with it and conquer it. The tools can never quite understand that by adding layers of equality to make things equal, MORE inequality is created. 

Look at Appo. Glenvar has had that 1 seed down there a couple times if I recall. Appo worries about APPO getting better and being good, not about a possible trip to Glenvar when Appo is clearly the most deserving team. They know that with hard work and working on self, they overcome the possible Glenvar travel thing. This is just one of hundreds of examples on the right way to overcome what is often situations that aren't always perfectly fair. 

Lee High played Rye Cove and East Montgomery. Gate City played Richlands and Radford.  In an attempt to make all of the above "equal," inequality was made WORSE than any inequality that first existed.

1 hour ago, redtiger said:

100% agree with letting the kids get in as many games as possible. I was/am a fan of the +1 games for non-playoff teams. A final game vs a competitive team, great all around solution imo but I don't like the 2-8/3-7 8 seeds getting slaughtered by the 1 seed. 

The only problem  I  see with this would be is what if you had a kid on your team recruited by a college let's say, and he plays in such a game before moving on to said college and he tears up a knee, ankle neck, back or anything and he cannot play again how do you think he is going to feel . Doubtful but possible. 

4 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

2A points for playing 1A schools is the reason Lee High is coming to Bluefield. The system was designed to account for strength of schedule and LACK of strength  of schedule. What would a normal Washington DC copycat passifist appeasing tool do at the VHSL? They simply work in a formula to counteract the same formula in use!!!!  

The problem is the mindset that ALL THINGS must be perfectly fair, and with bureaucracy,  all things can be fair, and the truth is, all things can NEVER be perfectly fair.  So, Abingdon has to travel a bit more East to play more 3A schools, whoopty do. Life goes on. People and teams bitc# and moan about inequality  when they could be setting the standard and putting the work in on how to overcome it, and be an example on how to deal with it and conquer it. The tools can never quite understand that by adding layers of equality to make things equal, MORE inequality is created. 

Look at Appo. Glenvar has had that 1 seed down there a couple times if I recall. Appo worries about APPO getting better and being good, not about a possible trip to Glenvar when Appo is clearly the most deserving team. They know that with hard work and working on self, they overcome the possible Glenvar travel thing. This is just one of hundreds of examples on the right way to overcome what is often situations that aren't always perfectly fair. 

In other words  to be the man you got to beat the man. Play the best and you get the best out of yourself

4 hours ago, redtiger said:

Seems like when it was this way, there was a lot of travel for early games. With todays fuel prices I'm not sure a lot of the fan base would travel.