Official Fall 2021 1st round Pairings

VHSLhelper

1 hour ago, foosballer said:

Seems like when it was this way, there was a lot of travel for early games. With todays fuel prices I'm not sure a lot of the fan base would travel. 

Cutting the number of teams who qualify (1 less round)  should help with expenses overall. The gates would probably be pretty similar, at least in the West because there are some really good games in the first round and I imagine the locals would come out to watch, idk that its the same in the East though. 

1 hour ago, ghs73 said:

The only problem  I  see with this would be is what if you had a kid on your team recruited by a college let's say, and he plays in such a game before moving on to said college and he tears up a knee, ankle neck, back or anything and he cannot play again how do you think he is going to feel . Doubtful but possible. 

No different that playing against a team that's going to beat them by 45+ in the first round. 

1 hour ago, ghs73 said:

The only problem  I  see with this would be is what if you had a kid on your team recruited by a college let's say, and he plays in such a game before moving on to said college and he tears up a knee, ankle neck, back or anything and he cannot play again how do you think he is going to feel . Doubtful but possible. 

High School sports do not exist to be a minor league for colleges. We do not pay taxes to support high school athletics in order for someone to find  a way to avoid paying for a college education. It is great if a student does get to go to college because of sports but you are putting the cart before the horse if you are sacrificing your high school experiences for a college career that may or may not exist.

14 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

High School sports do not exist to be a minor league for colleges. We do not pay taxes to support high school athletics in order for someone to find  a way to avoid paying for a college education. It is great if a student does get to go to college because of sports but you are putting the cart before the horse if you are sacrificing your high school experiences for a college career that may or may not exist.

Spot on BR, but sadly with the direction we are going, it's all to common, and it will continue to trend that way.

3 hours ago, graham32 said:

This is concerning. 

Screenshot (12).png

R4D3 had some matchups like this over the years, even in the “4 per region” days.  Occasionally, you’d get a year where a bunch of teams were just dreadful.  You’d get a couple of 9-1 or 10-0 teams, perhaps a 7-3 team, then some gawd-awful 3-7 team that happened to be the least-bad of the bad teams.  I recall Graham slaughtering a 3-7 Laurel Park in 2001 as an example.

7 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

R4D3 had some matchups like this over the years, even in the “4 per region” days.  Occasionally, you’d get a year where a bunch of teams were just dreadful.  You’d get a couple of 9-1 or 10-0 teams, perhaps a 7-3 team, then some gawd-awful 3-7 team that happened to be the least-bad of the bad teams.  I recall Graham slaughtering a 3-7 Laurel Park in 2001 as an example.

Reading your post, the very first thing that came to my mind in your first sentence and well before you mentioned them was.....Laurel Park 2001.   Wow!  That one really got under people's collars and was talked about back then, on vapreps for quite some time.  I remember the shock of them getting in, and the realization that they had to travel to Graham.  I thought there was a real possibility of them getting hung 100 on them, but Coach Glynn Carlock did a masterful job of keeping the score down as best as possible.  Something like 67-13.   Can't remember exact score, but I know it was bad in hindsight, but actually seemed a bit closer than what I thought it was going to be at the time.

10 hours ago, redtiger said:

IF we were still doing East/West but only taking top 8 teams(which is my preferred setup) 

West                                                               East 

1 Graham v 8 Ridgeview                                1 Nottoway v 8 Brunswick 

2 Glenvar v 7 Radford                                    2 Central Woodstock v 7 Poquoson

3 Appomattox v 6 Union                                 3 King William v 6 Buckingham 

4 Virginia v 5 Central Wise                             4 Stuarts Draft v 5 Clarke 

Didn't like that system at all.  Union had to travel to Dan River one week and turn around and go to Appomattox the next week.  It's okay if you're the home team I guess but the traveling was ridiculous.  Don't think you should travel 5 hours for a first round game

5 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

I am talking about the kid that has already committed to a college not every kid on the team hoping for one.

I like it when someone disagrees with what I say they tell me up front not a sneek attack on me by hiding behind power. I am saying this because I know I will get banned for this but I respect everyone I have disagreed on topics even those who are adimn.on here. For the most part they kept it respectful. I have been here since 2003. Never  been in time out or banned. Been in argument with Ryan and others but still have respect for how they are. That brings me to now. A post I made got removed because someone I feel did not like it because I called censorship then wrote another post. Next thing I know I am banned from seeing it if it is even still up.i will not name anyone but needless to say power corrupts absolute power corrupts absolutely. It showed its ugly head on here this week. I just wish people could post on here even if their post seems stupid to some of us it is just their opinion. And I thought that we all were still allowed to voice our opinions on here or is there only one opinion  that is allowed any more on here. If we deviate from it or sound dumb we get time out or if we go against them like me we get banned.if so this is no longer a free place to voice your opinions on sports or even defend another poster without fear of punishment. So thank you for my rant.

4 minutes ago, ghs73 said:

I like it when someone disagrees with what I say they tell me up front not a sneek attack on me by hiding behind power. I am saying this because I know I will get banned for this but I respect everyone I have disagreed on topics even those who are adimn.on here. For the most part they kept it respectful. I have been here since 2003. Never  been in time out or banned. Been in argument with Ryan and others but still have respect for how they are. That brings me to now. A post I made got removed because someone I feel did not like it because I called censorship then wrote another post. Next thing I know I am banned from seeing it if it is even still up.i will not name anyone but needless to say power corrupts absolute power corrupts absolutely. It showed its ugly head on here this week. I just wish people could post on here even if their post seems stupid to some of us it is just their opinion. And I thought that we all were still allowed to voice our opinions on here or is there only one opinion  that is allowed any more on here. If we deviate from it or sound dumb we get time out or if we go against them like me we get banned.if so this is no longer a free place to voice your opinions on sports or even defend another poster without fear of punishment. So thank you for my rant.

Agree 100% with this

6 hours ago, Fairlawncat said:

Reading your post, the very first thing that came to my mind in your first sentence and well before you mentioned them was.....Laurel Park 2001.   Wow!  That one really got under people's collars and was talked about back then, on vapreps for quite some time.  I remember the shock of them getting in, and the realization that they had to travel to Graham.  I thought there was a real possibility of them getting hung 100 on them, but Coach Glynn Carlock did a masterful job of keeping the score down as best as possible.  Something like 67-13.   Can't remember exact score, but I know it was bad in hindsight, but actually seemed a bit closer than what I thought it was going to be at the time.

65-18.  Good memory!

2 hours ago, ghs73 said:

what happened this week? I missed it completely. I will say this: at least one of the mods on here and I have went back and forth, repeatedly and sometimes pretty harshly, and I haven't been banned. Lotta posters dislike me. But if you try and keep the political junk to a minimum, don't attack HS kids and try to be decent, they seem to let you hang around. 

7 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

what happened this week? I missed it completely. I will say this: at least one of the mods on here and I have went back and forth, repeatedly and sometimes pretty harshly, and I haven't been banned. Lotta posters dislike me. But if you try and keep the political junk to a minimum, don't attack HS kids and try to be decent, they seem to let you hang around. 

A poster made a comment was told it was dumb given 5 days time out I defended him one word censorship  got basically told it could be made to happen.  I made a long post it the topic defending myself.the topic was removed to where I cannot see it if it is still up. No politics just defending a person's right to say what he thinks without fear of being put down or punishment for defending himself. I never attack children of anyone here or anywhere nor there family.

17 minutes ago, ghs73 said:

A poster made a comment was told it was dumb given 5 days time out I defended him one word censorship  got basically told it could be made to happen.  I made a long post it the topic defending myself.the topic was removed to where I cannot see it if it is still up. No politics just defending a person's right to say what he thinks without fear of being put down or punishment for defending himself. I never attack children of anyone here or anywhere nor there family.

I know what you are talking about, saw it too. Seemed pretty petty to call someone's opinion dumb and put them in timeout for it. We all read the rules....or should have when we joined. Nowhere does it say having a contray opinion about something is a violation. 

I can't stand a bully or someone who puts another down publicly to look tough.

2 minutes ago, foosballer said:

I know what you are talking about, saw it too. Seemed pretty petty to call someone's opinion dumb and put them in timeout for it. We all read the rules....or should have when we joined. Nowhere does it say having a contray opinion about something is a violation. 

I can't stand a bully or someone who puts another down publicly to look tough.

That is why I stood up I am 67 years old not very knowledgeable about high-school  football but love the G-Men. If I get banned I would miss following the page but you know at my age so be it. If it makes him feel like a big man then that is fine because I know this I am a fine person because I did what I know what was right.

1 minute ago, ghs73 said:

That is why I stood up I am 67 years old not very knowledgeable about high-school  football but love the G-Men. If I get banned I would miss following the page but you know at my age so be it. If it makes him feel like a big man then that is fine because I know this I am a fine person because I did what I know what was right.

Sometimes you have to be the sheepdog!

3 minutes ago, foosballer said:

Sometimes you have to be the sheepdog!

We will see what happens soon a few have liked what I said a couple comments. But I only hope nobody gets in trouble for liking what I have to say.they shouldn't.