Benefit Games Thoughts? Predictions?

Gridiron60

I have not heard a word about the Chilhowie/Grundy scrimmage so I have no idea what Chilhowie has but I read on here Tazewell had their issues vs radford. This should be a great tune up game for Tazewell because the top 5 athletes on the field should be wearing green

Giles faces Christiansburg who had a great season last year. They beat us like 55-0 in last seasons benefit game. They lost some of their playmakers but I also believe now their program as turned into a “reload not a rebuild” type of of school. Hopefully we can keep everyone healthy. Giles hasn’t made it back to that point yet where we can compete with these good Class 3/4 type of schools. We took it to HV in our first scrimmage who returned 12 starters but you just never know from a scrimmage.

1 hour ago, Jags52 said:

I have not heard a word about the Chilhowie/Grundy scrimmage so I have no idea what Chilhowie has but I read on here Tazewell had their issues vs radford. This should be a great tune up game for Tazewell because the top 5 athletes on the field should be wearing green

From what I heard Grundy & Chilhowie looked evenly. Grundy has a solid RB that they'll need to keep healthy. Richlands vs. Grundy will be interesting to watch.

The defense up front for Giles has lots of work to do.  Schools like C-Burg and certainly North Cross will push us off the ball a bit for big chunks.  The key for improvement to counteract or help some of those up front defensive issues is to have an offensive iine that can get a good push and keep the chains moving.  What I'm looking for against Cburg is to see if we can move the ball better offensively compared to last year.  Our offense had some nice chunks against Hidden Valley, and that's a good sign to take pressure off an undersized defensive front throughout the season that will help limit offensive touches of the opponents, and it will literally help the defensive line itself get more rest in between possessions of the offense.  For me at least, I'm more interested in watching how our offensive line does against Christiansburg and comparing that to last year.  Yep, we gave a crap ton last year against C-Burg, but as bad as the defense was, the lack of offense was worse because it offered no help for the defense regarding rest and just couldn't move the ball.

The above and the offensive line push and helping the defense by controlling some clock probably will not matter much against a North Cross or Glenvar, but it may very well be a factor against Narrows, James River, and George Wythe, and it could possibly be a factor with Galax.  Only my opinions.

3 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Chilhowie vs Tazewell will be on NFHS.  Any others on NFHS?

I really believe this will be a decent game considering Tazewell is being smart by playing there backups. If Tazewell were playing starters I don’t think it would be so evenly. Even in the scrimmage Tazewell held there own pretty well considering the opponent. And that was without there key/starting players. I really think Tazewell has a bright future this year if they play all four quarters. 

Not sure that I have any thoughts or predictions about Union's game against GW, but I'm very excited to watch it. I know that GW returns the bulk of their players from last year and are expecting good things this year. I am hopeful that the Bears will be able to duplicate the line play against them that they displayed against Betsy.

If they can dominate the same way, it could be a very good year. If they falter, it will show one of 2 things....1.) Betsy is really down from years past or 2.) GW is going to have a VERY good year.

6 hours ago, bulldog05-CO2017 said:

I really believe this will be a decent game considering Tazewell is being smart by playing there backups. If Tazewell were playing starters I don’t think it would be so evenly. Even in the scrimmage Tazewell held there own pretty well considering the opponent. And that was without there key/starting players. I really think Tazewell has a bright future this year if they play all four quarters. 

Should be a great time for Tazewell to build depth. I know Chilhowie graduated their best athlete since Sanchez in Gilly. They also lost Hutton and Martin those 3 where the offense last year. If Tazewells run D is improved they should have a hard time moving the ball. Creasy and Harris shouldnt step on the field after the 1st quarter I just wouldnt risk it. 

3 hours ago, Jags52 said:

Should be a great time for Tazewell to build depth. I know Chilhowie graduated their best athlete since Sanchez in Gilly. They also lost Hutton and Martin those 3 where the offense last year. If Tazewells run D is improved they should have a hard time moving the ball. Creasy and Harris shouldnt step on the field after the 1st quarter I just wouldnt risk it. 

I agree with this.

4 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Not sure that I have any thoughts or predictions about Union's game against GW, but I'm very excited to watch it. I know that GW returns the bulk of their players from last year and are expecting good things this year. I am hopeful that the Bears will be able to duplicate the line play against them that they displayed against Betsy.

If they can dominate the same way, it could be a very good year. If they falter, it will show one of 2 things....1.) Betsy is really down from years past or 2.) GW is going to have a VERY good year.

Please take it easy on us! We just want to get out healthy! 

5 minutes ago, Jollay, living rent free said:

Please take it easy on us! We just want to get out healthy! 

I hear ya! Hope everyone does! Union had one get banged up at Betsy, and it would be absolutely terrible for a kid's season to end before it even gets started.

I'm looking for an entertaining game Friday!

A beautiful unseasonably cool evening will unfold as Cave Spring travels south to do battle with the Franklin County Eagles.  Franklin County returns an extremely capable QB and unquestionably the most exciting RB I’ve seen since Bradshaw.  Jalen Lee was a stand out last year and I’ve never seen any player play every down like it was his last like this guy.  It will be well worth anyone’s time to catch his action against quality teams this year on Rocky Mount’s Cable 12 Facebook broadcasts.   The Eagles handle the Knights in this one but one will still come away scratching one’s head at the simplicity of schemes.  

I’ll weigh in on Graham. I think the defensive & offensive lines are solid and GMen have depth.  Defense overall seems to be ahead of offense. Offensively, Graham may want to try & utilize short and intermediate playing game after seeing the scrimmage. Long passes were somewhat of a bust. QB needs to get out of the pocket & get rid of the ball faster if possible IMHO (armchair coach here). 😂 Graham has some speed & possibility  for explosive playmakers. I’ll be curious to see how they fair against EC Glass.