Hurley high school gone!

42 minutes ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

Nowhere near as bad as people are betraying it. I've seen wayyyyy worse structure fires.

The issue with brick buildings is that heat compromises the structural integrity of the brick much more quickly than other materials.  Hoping and praying that it is indeed relatively minor compared to the pictures.  Hurley has suffered enough.

From what im hearing the major damage is from water, not the fire itself. School isnt destroyed but the students wont be having classes at the high school for the remainder of the year, maybe longer.

Theyve been through a lot the past few years

3 hours ago, redtiger said:

That will be the big question going forward.

Purely speculation on my part but early consolidation with Grundy may be on the table.

Never like seeing any school shutdown.  Lots of history and pride lost in that.

IF Hurley were to consolidate with Grundy, would that delay the Buc Co total consolidation?

HHS students will combine with HEMS students utilizing the empty rooms available at HEMS. HHS will be closed the remainder of the week to set up classrooms. Students will resume classes, sometime next week.

HEMS is just a stones throw from HHS so Hurley will be a K-12 facility until the damage can be assessed. 

Reports that the building is gone are entirely false. Considerable smoke damage and water damage in the area where the fire started, the 2nd floor above the concession area has been seriously compromised. The rest of the facility appears to only have smoke damage. 

1 hour ago, stu_bean said:

Never like seeing any school shutdown.  Lots of history and pride lost in that.

IF Hurley were to consolidate with Grundy, would that delay the Buc Co total consolidation?

Absolutely. Consolidation is a necessary move but much is lost in the process.

I wouldn't think it would affect consolidation at all

As most of you know, Buchanan Co will receive substantial funding from the US Army Corps of Engineers for flood mitigation, similar to Dickenson Co. I recall that part of the requirement would be to raze flood-prone buildings where a flood ring wouldn't work. If I'm not mistaken, the Buchanan Co Career and Technology Center qualified for a flood ring, while Hurley High would have to be" relocated". I believe some flood-prone schools in Dickenson were required to be demolished including Clinchco Elem. and Ervinton High. Will it be a requirement to tear-down Hurley High?     

9 hours ago, redtiger said:

Absolutely. Consolidation is a necessary move but much is lost in the process.

I wouldn't think it would affect consolidation at all

It would expedite it in my opinion.

12 hours ago, CPF said:

It would expedite it in my opinion.

I meant in terms of changing the overall schedule. Sites cant be prepared much faster, buildings can't really be built faster. Of consolidation was set and already began then that schedule is basically set. 

This is in my professional wheelhouse. It's been my experience when planning, design, and construction plans are made, natural disasters tend to do the opposite of what one would expect. It's very likely, maybe even probable, the timeline will increase rather than decrease. Any time a natural disaster occurs, government agencies get involved that have little to no frame of reference for the planning/design/construction process. Procurement gets delayed over and over again because those agencies lag behind in processing data required for the permitting agencies to maintain a reasonable timeline to get to construction. Considering nothing can be built without the proper permitting agency approval, and those agencies being delayed by the "natural disaster" agencies doing their part, it becomes a giant time-suck the locality waiting for resolution pays a price for. Not to turn this political but the elected state representative serving SWVA will only delay this process further by way of simply not acting. It happened to Glade following the tornadoes. It's happened repeatedly following major flooding. It will continue to happen as long as he keeps getting elected to serve SWVA while living in Salem.

I've seen it time and time again!