2022 Round 1 Regional Playoffs Score Updates!

Gridiron60

2 minutes ago, BandanaPartyBoyDavis4321 said:

They absolutely are both good coaches, but this year, I think Houseright deserves the award for the region and mark this one down......calling my shot here.......Houseright will win the Region D coach of the year award and Palmer will end up winning the Virginia Class 2 Coach of the Year Award.

If that’s possible, great way to play the political game.

Just now, tornado99 said:

If that’s possible, great way to play the political game.

It's very possible.  The turnaround for Gate City with less talent is pretty impressive and many coaches who vote in the Region will vote for Houseright and I can't blame them, but that's Game 1 through Game 10 with a couple of playoff games.  The season has the ability to be 15 games for 2 teams in Virginia, and if Graham advances to and wins the state title and goes 15-0 after, then Palmer certainly deserves it.  The voters across the state don't know the in's and out's of each individual program in Southwest VA, but they will be aware that Graham lost 2 FBS power five players, and that fact, knowing they lost 2 FBS power five players only to go 15-0 the following season is a powerful fact for a Coach in Greensville County or Poquoson, VA when they go to vote.  

Lots of football left and one game at a time of course, but I'm just giving a scenario where it is possible.

8 minutes ago, BandanaPartyBoyDavis4321 said:

They absolutely are both good coaches, but this year, I think Houseright deserves the award for the region and mark this one down......calling my shot here.......Houseright will win the Region D coach of the year award and Palmer will end up winning the Virginia Class 2 Coach of the Year Award.

I agree with you Houseright should win it

30 minutes ago, TValleyDad said:

I think Houseright is a better coach than Palmer.

We're going to find out soon. But he sure didn't look like it when he couldn't get a 1st down on our 1st team defense in August.

Just now, IRISH-FAN18 said:

He'll have his chance to prove it next week.

Doesn't have to "prove it" next week.  Houseright isn't playing, he's coaching, and if he were playing, he would do well in proving it.  Virginia Tech thought that was the case when he earned a scholarship there.  There's few, very few people outside of Gate City, VA expecting Gate City to beat Graham.  They are out talented by a lot, not a little bit, by a lot.  The coaches can't perform miracles.  What Houseright had done up until this point is good enough in the eyes of many people, including myself, but again, only my opinion, just like you have yours.  To each his own.

1 minute ago, BandanaPartyBoyDavis4321 said:

It's very possible.  The turnaround for Gate City with less talent is pretty impressive and many coaches who vote in the Region will vote for Houseright and I can't blame them, but that's Game 1 through Game 10 with a couple of playoff games.  The season has the ability to be 15 games for 2 teams in Virginia, and if Graham advances to and wins the state title and goes 15-0 after, then Palmer certainly deserves it.  The voters across the state don't know the in's and out's of each individual program in Southwest VA, but they will be aware that Graham lost 2 FBS power five players, and that fact, knowing they lost 2 FBS power five players only to go 15-0 the following season is a powerful fact for a Coach in Greensville County or Poquoson, VA when they go to vote.  

Lots of football left and one game at a time of course, but I'm just giving a scenario where it is possible.

Thanks for the explanation. I didn’t know how it worked. I know for players, you couldn’t be all-region without being all-district first-team and so on. I wasn’t sure if coaches were the same way.   
The political part was directed toward the VHSL as a good way to keep both fan bases happy.

Just now, CPF said:

We're going to find out soon. But he sure didn't look like it when he couldn't get a 1st down on our 1st team defense in August.

Disagree with you.  We will Not find out soon imo.  We will find out over the next couple of years as season's play out based on the talent each team has.  We won't find out for 1 four quarter game next week where Graham has far, far, far more talent and is expected to easily win and should win.  Houseright doesn't need a win at Mitchell Stadium next week to be a "better coach" or "worse coach" than Palmer.  The same applies to Palmer.  

2 minutes ago, BandanaPartyBoyDavis4321 said:

Disagree with you.  We will Not find out soon imo.  We will find out over the next couple of years as season's play out based on the talent each team has.  We won't find out for 1 four quarter game next week where Graham has far, far, far more talent and is expected to easily win and should win.  Houseright doesn't need a win at Mitchell Stadium next week to be a "better coach" or "worse coach" than Palmer.  The same applies to Palmer.  

Don't get me wrong. I want too see GC good. As well as Union and the other Region D teams. It makes it all mean more. He's done a great job thus far. But now he earns the awards. Let's see what happens.

Just now, tornado99 said:

Thanks for the explanation. I didn’t know how it worked. I know for players, you couldn’t be all-region without being all-district first-team and so on. I wasn’t sure if coaches were the same way.   
The political part was directed toward the VHSL as a good way to keep both fan bases happy.

This has happened tons of times in Virginia.  You often see it with a team that rapidly turns it around and that coach wins a Region COY award, but one team in the Region is a powerhouse and goes on to win the title, and that coach gets the Virginia COY award.  It also happens some when you have a team that goes 9-1 or 10-0 and that Coach wins Region COY award, and one team in the region went 6-4, 5-5, 7-3, and goes on a run and wins a state title and that coach gets Virginia COY award.  Blacksburg at 5-5 a few years ago their coach didn't win Region COY, but they run off 5 in a row and win a state title, and he gets Virginia COY award in Class 4.

6 minutes ago, BandanaPartyBoyDavis4321 said:

Virginia Tech thought that was the case when he earned a scholarship there.  

That was his brother Jake, Jeremy had a injury early in his high school career that cut his football career short.

2 minutes ago, redtiger said:

That was his brother Jake, Jeremy had a injury early in his high school career that cut his football career short.

Thinking of Jonas.  Certainly, Jake was an honorable mention Super Prep All American and huge recruit, but Jonas played at Tech on scholly and Jeremy would have without the injury.  

9 minutes ago, THS6805 said:

I really don't see anybody in region beating graham. Graham just to physical on both sides of the ball. 

Have to play the games first. Don't jinx us please. 

23 minutes ago, THS6805 said:

I really don't see anybody in region beating graham. Graham just to physical on both sides of the ball. 

I don't see anyone in the state beating Graham this year.  Just my opinion.  In the East, there are 5 teams that are absolutely neck and neck with (Region B-Luray, Strasburg, Central and Region A, Poquoson and King Kong William).  All 5 are close on Calpreps, but you do NOT have a superpower like the recent Appo teams or the recent King William team).  I think the winner of Region C is slightly better than the 5 in the East.

I like Graham's chances because of their ability to run the ball, and they are a run first as the first option kind of team this year instead of a pass first as the first option type of team, yet they throw it very efficiently when they do chuck it.  Add to this the athletes on the back end that greatly prohibit big plays, and the Gmen have the formula to win a title.  Added to this, they are very well coached across the board.  As the whether gets colder, that actually helps Graham.

Think about this....when is the last time you saw a team at a lower level of classification (Class 1 or Class 2) that has a pass first type of offense and run the ball second Win a State Title?  It's RARE.  Richlands maybe, Graham 2018?  You may have to go back that far.  King William was a RUN first team last year with an All American and they could throw it efficiently.  Same for those Appo teams.  Maybe 2 times in the last 14 years has this happened.  This was my concern with Graham last year even though they ran it pretty good, they were pass first.  They aren't pass first this year.  It's a dangerous football team.

4 minutes ago, BandanaPartyBoyDavis4321 said:

I don't see anyone in the state beating Graham this year.  Just my opinion.  In the East, there are 5 teams that are absolutely neck and neck with (Region B-Luray, Strasburg, Central and Region A, Poquoson and King Kong William).  All 5 are close on Calpreps, but you do NOT have a superpower like the recent Appo teams or the recent King William team).  I think the winner of Region C is slightly better than the 5 in the East.

I like Graham's chances because of their ability to run the ball, and they are a run first as the first option kind of team this year instead of a pass first as the first option type of team, yet they throw it very efficiently when they do chuck it.  Add to this the athletes on the back end that greatly prohibit big plays, and the Gmen have the formula to win a title.  Added to this, they are very well coached across the board.  As the whether get colder, that actually helps Graham.

Think about this....when is the last time you saw a team at a lower level of classification (Class 1 or Class 2) that has a pass first type of offense and run the ball second Win a State Title?  It's RARE.  Richlands maybe, Graham 2018?  You may have to go back that far.  King Williams was a RUN first team last year with an All American and they could throw it efficiently.  Same for those Appo teams.  Maybe 2 times in the last 14 years has this happened.  This was my concern with Graham last year even though they ran it pretty good, they were pass first.  They aren't pass first this year.  It's a dangerous football team.

Agreed. Richlands had Caleb Jennings, so they were somewhat balanced. I think Graham was too.

20 minutes ago, Graham32 said:

Have to play the games first. Don't jinx us please. 

Yes.  Anything can happen on any given night.  G-men need to be focused the rest of the way.  They need to focus on the team that's in front of them each week.  Because it will get harder each week from this point on.