Ridgeview vs Graham Region D Championship Rematch!

Gridiron60

1 minute ago, Bluefield researcher said:

There were 2 plays in the third quarter where the Graham defense had 12 on the field. Ridgeview called a TO to protest and Graham tried to send 12 on the field on third down until a coach finally called one back. Refs totally missed it.

Yeah, I wondered what all the fuss was and my wife pointed out that Graham had 12 men out there for 2 plays, and then still had 12 out there as Ridgeview came out of the timeout, but someone on the sidelines figured it out and got them off the field. These guys are high school officials, but you can't let that happen. Especially on 2 straight plays. 

27 minutes ago, Faithful G-man said:

For all concerned RV fans, Graham did in fact practice this summer

And have been in the weight room since January…they took off a couple of weeks for Christmas break though 😂 . I always wondered after reading that article that quoted O’Quinn, did he honestly think Graham was not working in the summer like him? Graham’s been living in his head since last November. But kid is a helluva athlete though. He’s a great asset to his team. 

Just now, rvtne216 said:

Is that a school record for Clements?

Not sure but I was told radio guys said he broke Ahmad Bradshaw’s record for single game rushing yardage in a playoff game. I’m not sure if that’s been verified. 

If I’m Graham I ride that wildcat look the rest of the way.  They get cute and try to throw it and they will be done in a hurry.  I have a hard time seeing anyone doing anything with them up front. 
I will say RV had some chances in the game. Getting it back to 21 all had me thinking this might be the day.  Especially after the disaster that was the 1st qtr.   After driving back, I’ve realized that the offense really did enough to win.  Yeah they didn’t make adjustments. But they scored 27 points (last 8 being after game was no longer in doubt). Graham just had the answers up front. O’Quinn had no real chances to throw.  When he did, they were getting huge chunks.

I’m not sure what all is coming up for next year, but didn’t the JV team go undefeated. Someone correct me if I’m wrong on that please.  
Good luck to the G-Men on getting the big one.  You should be the favorites the rest of the year and overwhelming favorites next year.  

13 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

If I’m Graham I ride that wildcat look the rest of the way.  They get cute and try to throw it and they will be done in a hurry.  I have a hard time seeing anyone doing anything with them up front. 
I will say RV had some chances in the game. Getting it back to 21 all had me thinking this might be the day.  Especially after the disaster that was the 1st qtr.   After driving back, I’ve realized that the offense really did enough to win.  Yeah they didn’t make adjustments. But they scored 27 points (last 8 being after game was no longer in doubt). Graham just had the answers up front. O’Quinn had no real chances to throw.  When he did, they were getting huge chunks.

I’m not sure what all is coming up for next year, but didn’t the JV team go undefeated. Someone correct me if I’m wrong on that please.  
Good luck to the G-Men on getting the big one.  You should be the favorites the rest of the year and overwhelming favorites next year.  

Graham loses a lot on the line after this season, but I'm sure they will be building some linemen in the weight room.  They do return a lot of skill players next year and have some good looking athletes coming up from middle school.  First things first, however.  Hoping for a strong finish for Graham this year and a healthy squad the remainder of the way.  Appomattox has an outstanding team and is a huge hurdle for Graham to get past next saturday 

23 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

Game went from being 21-21 with 5 minutes to go in the half to Graham being up by 2 scores before half and getting the ball to start the 3rd.  Not sure how we let that happen but for us to still only be down by 1 score at the start of the 4th, this game was much closer than the score showed at the end 

2 minutes ago, Backpack said:

Game went from being 21-21 with 5 minutes to go in the half to Graham being up by 2 scores before half and getting the ball to start the 3rd.  Not sure how we let that happen but for us to still only be down by 1 score at the start of the 4th, this game was much closer than the score showed at the end 

This Graham team has another gear.

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

And have been in the weight room since January…they took off a couple of weeks for Christmas break though 😂 . I always wondered after reading that article that quoted O’Quinn, did he honestly think Graham was not working in the summer like him? Graham’s been living in his head since last November. But kid is a helluva athlete though. He’s a great asset to his team. 

Anyone think he ends up back at Abingdon?

7 minutes ago, CPF said:

Anyone think he ends up back at Abingdon?

I would not be surprised if O’Quinn went elsewhere. He needs an offense coaching staff that can game plan better for his talent, make adjustments to allow him more success against tougher teams. He’s an athlete & I hope if he stays or leaves, he has a great year next year. 

23 minutes ago, Backpack said:

Count your blessings it wasn’t worse. Don’t forget we had 3 TDs called back. We could have hung 70 on you.

Ridgeview didn't look real sharp at anything on either side of the ball.  Planning and the application process are totally different.  They still made a decent showing early and probably the most Graham has punted all season but giving up the edge to a fast team obviously ain't good.  Said it before, they couldn't afford to get into a slugfest with Graham unless they had some stops.  Special teams, turnovers, lack of discipline, etc. at the worst possible time.  Players looking harder to get holding calls on defense instead of just fighting/competing.  Were their penalties not called?  Of course, but if it ain't called it's not a penalty and it went both ways. Congrats on a great season though.  I hope RV don't drop off terribly next season and continues to compete a high level.  It makes everyone better.

I wonder if the abundance of holding penalties for Graham (and Union) is more closely related to furious, intense, run blocking style of play, rather than a lack of discipline? I tend to agree with another poster that you take your chances and play the percentages and accept that the greater intensity which leads to a breakdown in technique is sometimes worth the calls and that many more are simply not caught.  This could be a legitimate risk versus reward scenario.

Late hits, trash talking, losing composure, and bad behavior are definitely a product of lack of discipline.

I enjoy this board for providing such thought-provoking perspectives.

13 hours ago, Backpack said:

Did you watch the game closely?  How did RV get it back to 21-21?  What did they do once it got to 21-21?  It’s right there on the film and why we were so damn frustrated all year.  Too much credit is given to Graham’s defensive adjustments (which were always good and appropriate) and not enough blame is given to RV’s  complete lack of adjustments or refusal to properly use their athletes.  

7 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Did you watch the game closely?  How did RV get it back to 21-21?  What did they do once it got to 21-21?  It’s right there on the film and why we were so damn frustrated all year.  Too much credit is given to Graham’s defensive adjustments (which were always good and appropriate) and not enough blame is given to RV’s  complete lack of adjustments or refusal to properly use their athletes.  

You guys have all year to figure out why nobody in the region played Graham within one score this year after losing 2 - D1 players.