Bold predictions

Jags52

39 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

When it comes to the Bears, I don't hold my breath about anything! Lol

After all, this was a bold prediction. 🙂

I am just picking at the scab a little! LOL! Gate City could be 2-8 or 8-2. Gate City has some stud players coming but all are underclassmen! The Hickman kid who us a sophomore is going to be a star barring something unforeseen!

22 hours ago, goose111874 said:

How's Ridgeview gonna do this season I know they lost a few very good players

Well, teams are gonna stack to stop the run as they lost about 97% of their passing game and their deep threats.  I suspect they will "run the hell outta" O'Quinn and will run the ball alot more.  They don't have any returning proven WR's, although the Honaker kid could help out and they have some athletes.  They have to find a way to throw the ball but with losing all five OL from last year it will have to be a different passing game than last year.  I would implement more of a pro-style, play-action fake passing scheme......move away from the spread since they don't know how to deploy spread concepts.  

Defensively they lose all four DB's which I think will really hurt them more than the LB and DL losses, here's why.  Koda Counts was able to play as an in-the-box SS and made a ton of plays last year and Beavers was able to match up the other team's WR1 and cancel him out.  They don't have those luxuries now and I really think they will miss Counts and Walker Lester (DL) immensely.  If you go back and watch Lester in the Region Championship game..he was disruptive and drew several holding penalties and earned several that weren't called.  Now, add in that Hill is gone and he was DPOY in M7.  That's a ton to overcome!  They do return a good LB in Honaker and I think, given the right coaching and position, O'Quinn could be a top 3 defensive player in the M7.....but I think they want to play him at CB.  If I were Union, I'd hit them hard with play-action as well.....a lot of youth and inexperience in the back 7.

Frustrating thing is that there are still some good athletes on The Ridge but the program just isn't mature enough to work them hard and get the best of them.  Still the good ole boy and nepotism network up there.

12 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

When it comes to the Bears, I don't hold my breath about anything! Lol

After all, this was a bold prediction. 🙂

I always grow nervous around midseason for Union. Regardless of how good they are, there’s always that midseason game or games where they are just flat and out of sync and lose a game they should have won. 

On 7/13/2023 at 1:39 PM, SwvaOG said:

Well, teams are gonna stack to stop the run as they lost about 97% of their passing game and their deep threats.  I suspect they will "run the hell outta" O'Quinn and will run the ball alot more.  They don't have any returning proven WR's, although the Honaker kid could help out and they have some athletes.  They have to find a way to throw the ball but with losing all five OL from last year it will have to be a different passing game than last year.  I would implement more of a pro-style, play-action fake passing scheme......move away from the spread since they don't know how to deploy spread concepts.  

Defensively they lose all four DB's which I think will really hurt them more than the LB and DL losses, here's why.  Koda Counts was able to play as an in-the-box SS and made a ton of plays last year and Beavers was able to match up the other team's WR1 and cancel him out.  They don't have those luxuries now and I really think they will miss Counts and Walker Lester (DL) immensely.  If you go back and watch Lester in the Region Championship game..he was disruptive and drew several holding penalties and earned several that weren't called.  Now, add in that Hill is gone and he was DPOY in M7.  That's a ton to overcome!  They do return a good LB in Honaker and I think, given the right coaching and position, O'Quinn could be a top 3 defensive player in the M7.....but I think they want to play him at CB.  If I were Union, I'd hit them hard with play-action as well.....a lot of youth and inexperience in the back 7.

Frustrating thing is that there are still some good athletes on The Ridge but the program just isn't mature enough to work them hard and get the best of them.  Still the good ole boy and nepotism network up there.

And no sign that it will end anytime soon.  
In reality, RV and Union should be very even in football and most sports.  The schools are relatively the same size and the lineages are from strong programs.  But something happened with consolidation that I didn’t foresee.  There’s more nepotism ther now than I ever saw at Clintwood.  Can’t speak for Erivinton or Haysi. 

On 7/13/2023 at 1:39 PM, SwvaOG said:

losing all five OL from last year it will have to be a different passing game than last year. 

Replacing all five lineman is a high blow in high school. That may be a bigger blow than losing the deep threats

2 hours ago, Pioneer said:

Any thoughts on how the SWD will stack up with the addition of Lebanon? I know Graham is most likely #1, but after that it has to be a coin toss. 

Admittingly, I am making this statement as an outsider and do Not claim to know the ins and outs of the SWD and what teams return, but from watching these teams last year (seen em all on video) at least twice, no surprise if Lebanon takes 2nd. Well, a little surprised. I expect Tazewell 2nd, but not shocked if Lebanon finished 2nd. Lebanon ain't finishing first, nor is Richlands, Tazewell, VH, or Marion. 

5 hours ago, Pioneer said:

Any thoughts on how the SWD will stack up with the addition of Lebanon? I know Graham is most likely #1, but after that it has to be a coin toss. 

1. Graham

2.Tazewell

3. Va. High

4.Richlands

5. Lebanon

6. Marion

Just my opinion. I think 2 and 3 could switch places but not likely. 

4 hours ago, CPF said:

1. Graham

2.Tazewell

3. Va. High

4.Richlands

5. Lebanon

6. Marion

Just my opinion. I think 2 and 3 could switch places but not likely. 

Completely Agree with this.  I have the same feeling about 5 & 6 that you have about 2 & 3, could happen, but not likely.

10 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Admittingly, I am making this statement as an outsider and do Not claim to know the ins and outs of the SWD and what teams return, but from watching these teams last year (seen em all on video) at least twice, no surprise if Lebanon takes 2nd. Well, a little surprised. I expect Tazewell 2nd, but not shocked if Lebanon finished 2nd. Lebanon ain't finishing first, nor is Richlands, Tazewell, VH, or Marion. 

Did you know that Lebanon’s QB transferred to a private school in TN?

30 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Not football related but did the Compton girl transfer to TN or a school down that way on the VA side? As far as Lebanon QB, I had been told there was a possibility he might transfer to another SWD school just up 460 from Lebanon guess private school in TN was a better fit for him. 

The Reece kid has been working with LHS during summer workouts most of the summer. There was a rumor but it's just that. Safe bet is that he is not transferring. Nobody at LHS has been concerned over this to my knowledge. 

43 minutes ago, Pioneer said:

The Reece kid has been working with LHS during summer workouts most of the summer. There was a rumor but it's just that. Safe bet is that he is not transferring. Nobody at LHS has been concerned over this to my knowledge. 

Hes been looking to transfer to a number of SWVA schools, hasnt transferred to my knowledge though. 

8 hours ago, EH31 said:

Nope. I didn't, and that changes things. Knowing that, I would be greatly surprised to see Lebanon ahead of Richlands. I know VH loses a bit. I'll go Graham, Tazewell 2, Richlands, VH and Lebanon toss up, and Marion last. 

20 minutes ago, nrv_football said:

Galax has a down year. 5-5

I predict 4-6 or 3-7. Outside of a couple of kids, Galax doesn't have a player that would get onto the field if this were 2011-2021.

46 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I predict 4-6 or 3-7. Outside of a couple of kids, Galax doesn't have a player that would get onto the field if this were 2011-2021.

Sixcat, I know you know your team better than the rest on here, but I will believe 4-6 or 3-7 only when I see it.   To well coached and too technical on the line of scrimmage for that to happen imo.  If it happens, hopefully the Spartans can finally get a W this year over the M.Tide, well, even if Galax went 9-1, I would hope for the Spartans to be the W.  We got pushed around last year in the 2nd half on the LOS at home.  For us to catch up, there needs to be some decent improvement one way and decent decline the other way as far the LOS goes.

12 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Nope. I didn't, and that changes things. Knowing that, I would be greatly surprised to see Lebanon ahead of Richlands. I know VH loses a bit. I'll go Graham, Tazewell 2, Richlands, VH and Lebanon toss up, and Marion last. 

He did not transfer. 

13 hours ago, redtiger said:

Hes been looking to transfer to a number of SWVA schools, hasnt transferred to my knowledge though. 

That was a rumor in the spring, but nothing came if it. 

On 7/17/2023 at 12:35 PM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Lebanon lost 15 seniors, the qb is returning, but Lebanon will not finish 2nd. I predict 4 or maybe 5  wins this year. They will most likely lose to Graham, VHS, Tazewell,  possibly Richlands, and maybe a talented Honaker team, and PH.  I'd say they will beat, Battle, Castlewood, Marion,  Rural Retreat. If that holds they will be 4-6. I could be wrong though.