Bold predictions

Jags52

8 hours ago, FactChecker2022 said:

Clements isn’t the best player on his own team

Jennings is.

Can't wait to see how Jennings comes along, he has a D-1 frame and all the tools to become great.   Defensively, he will be one of Graham's best players as a sophomore.  Clements is the marquee player at Graham this year.

8 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I know you doth love that cardinal red colored Kool-Aid, but this is legitimately funny.

If I'm starting a team, and I have to choose Clements or Cook-Cash, I'm taking Cook-Cash with 0 hesitation.  I have seen both play multiple times live, and I'll venture to say that you have not.  Obviously, Cook-Cash is bigger and stronger.  What Cook-Cash lacks in straight-line speed (where he's no slouch either, just not as much as Clements), he makes up with blocking prowess and field vision.  Clements isn't asked to block in a meaningful capacity in Graham's offense.  Clements's field vision is also average on his best day, and I think we'll see this year that having a line including a Brody Meadows or Connor Roberts has helped him tremendously.  (Not saying Graham's line isn't strong, because it is, but the numbers in the weight room aren't exactly what they've been in the past.  I've seen them.)

There's a good argument to be made that Clements isn't even the best player on Graham's roster this season.  I'm not saying it's a winning argument, but if you're talking about the best player in an entire Classification, you need to be the best on your own team first.

Although, I agree with you most of the time, I believe this year's Graham team will be just as strong as last season.  Certainly quite a bit stronger then most of the teams they will face.  The dedication that Graham has in the off season and the conditioning program is something that all area schools should strive for.  

8 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I know you doth love that cardinal red colored Kool-Aid, but this is legitimately funny.

If I'm starting a team, and I have to choose Clements or Cook-Cash, I'm taking Cook-Cash with 0 hesitation.  I have seen both play multiple times live, and I'll venture to say that you have not.  Obviously, Cook-Cash is bigger and stronger.  What Cook-Cash lacks in straight-line speed (where he's no slouch either, just not as much as Clements), he makes up with blocking prowess and field vision.  Clements isn't asked to block in a meaningful capacity in Graham's offense.  Clements's field vision is also average on his best day, and I think we'll see this year that having a line including a Brody Meadows or Connor Roberts has helped him tremendously.  (Not saying Graham's line isn't strong, because it is, but the numbers in the weight room aren't exactly what they've been in the past.  I've seen them.)

There's a good argument to be made that Clements isn't even the best player on Graham's roster this season.  I'm not saying it's a winning argument, but if you're talking about the best player in an entire Classification, you need to be the best on your own team first.

Cook Cash definitely elite whether he’s better or Clements, I’m not expert enough to say both are at the top. I’d have to disagree on your opinion about Clements not being the best player for Graham. GMen have a lot of great athletes though. As far as the weight room, they’ve been working hard at it since January and my bold prediction is they will be as strong as last year & line play will still be very good on both sides of the ball. They are very dedicated and consistent with strength and conditioning in the off season. Some of those boys have really bulked up. The numbers are just fine, lol! Whether GMen make it back to state who knows but I’m hoping they do. 

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

But you can teach a bunch of 260 to 300lb  linemen and 200 to 230 lb  linebackers to bench over 300 lbs and deadlift over 500 lbs and play lights out defense.

Spoiler alert; Riverheads does all of those things quite well and they have CCC to boot!!!

6 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Spoiler alert; Riverheads does all of those things quite well and they  have CCC to boot!!!

Well, we may never get to see those 2 kids on the field at the same time.  Wish they could play on the regular season.  

Dead week & then it’s really going to rev up! Another bold prediction, it doesn’t matter which teams make it out of 1D & 2D , we’re all going to be pulling for them to beat Region C and take a trip to Salem! Speaking of Region C, prayers for Coach Smith from Appomattox. I saw where he had surgery I believe yesterday related to his latest cancer diagnosis. 

2C is going to be a 2 horse race. It's Appo or Glenvar. Martinsville lost its Coach. Radford lost a Div 1 stud and about 4 other key seniors that were studs, and only has the QB back who is solid, but Radford will take a step back. With likely no Coach Smith on the sidelines this season at Appo, is this the year Glenvar finally beats em after a gazillion tries? I'll believe it when I see it. 

With the circumstances in 2C and what Graham returns in 2D, Graham is the early favs to play again for a state title. Those aren't easy expectations, but based on what others (at least on paper) return in 2D and 2C and going into the season only, if Graham were to lose in the playoffs before game 15, it would be considered a disappointment by many fans. That's a good situation to have. It means your program has reached a high level.

5 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

2C is going to be a 2 horse race. It's Appo or Glenvar. Martinsville lost its Coach. Radford lost a Div 1 stud and about 4 other key seniors that were studs, and only has the QB back who is solid, but Radford will take a step back. With likely no Coach Smith on the sidelines this season at Appo, is this the year Glenvar finally beats em after a gazillion tries? I'll believe it when I see it. 

The Bobcats will put up some points, but will give up a lot too. We're a 6-4 team this year. Appo and Glenvar are heads above the rest in 2C this coming year.  

The Two Bluefields will both bring home state titles for the first time since 1962 (first time in the playoff era in Virginia)

Jenkins cancels their season before Virginia High can play them and we wind up playing a different, more respectable, team from the Bluegrass State

10 hours ago, V-Cats said:

The Two Bluefields will both bring home state titles for the first time since 1962 (first time in the playoff era in Virginia)

I’m okay with that! Of course, lots of football ahead to be played,  lots of unknown factors or even unexpected events occurring but it would be neat if that happened. 

On 6/30/2023 at 2:10 PM, stan.the.man said:

he set records in the shot put this,  not sure if he won state but very likely did!!!

I don’t think he competed this spring at state. He did win state in shot put during winter track and last spring as a freshman. 

On 7/1/2023 at 11:51 PM, Fairlawncat said:

The Bobcats will put up some points, but will give up a lot too. We're a 6-4 team this year. Appo and Glenvar are heads above the rest in 2C this coming year.  

Radford will always underachieve as long as nepo baby napoloeon is the coach

19 days until practice officially begins for most local teams…two a days , you know it’s getting real then! 46 days until first game August 25th can’t get here soon enough! Nothing beats Friday nights under the lights. 

On 7/11/2023 at 10:18 AM, SwvaOG said:

Not a "bold" prediction but Union vs Graham in 2D Region Championship.  Richlands starts to turn the corner and becomes SWD #2. 

How's Ridgeview gonna do this season I know they lost a few very good players

Serious question, Honaker football? I know they have always won their district in most sports, but didn’t they change to a different district this year? Will they still come out on top or will it be more competitive? No offense to the black diamond district, they have great schools and athletes.  

Just wondering if Aaron Lowe and the other Richlands defectors bettered themselves. 

50 minutes ago, bleedblue89 said:

Serious question, Honaker football? I know they have always won their district in most sports, but didn’t they change to a different district this year? Will they still come out on top or will it be more competitive? No offense to the black diamond district, they have great schools and athletes.  

Just wondering if Aaron Lowe and the other Richlands defectors bettered themselves. 

10 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Honaker is the Region D favorite for many this year.  

I can’t answer in the long-term, but they are my Region D favorite. They return essentially everyone from a very talented roster. Their losses Grundy, loses a talented senior class and although a new district, they are still on the schedule. Lebanon, which was a toss up last year, moves to Class 2. It just appears to me that the pieces are falling into place for a deep run.

5 hours ago, goose111874 said:

How's Ridgeview gonna do this season I know they lost a few very good players

5-5 kinda year. Lost a ton! QB is back but will coaches utilize his abilities or more of the same! O’Quinn is special just don’t know if he has enough help.

5 hours ago, bleedblue89 said:

I don’t know who all the defectors are that you speak of, lol. Honaker is going to have a great season regardless of ex-Richlands folks coming there to coach. The Tigers return practically everyone and are poised to make a deep run. I guess you could say Lowe bettered himself because he joined a program that will have a very successful year. Do I think that success hinges on having him there? Probably not but good luck to him & the entire team and coaching staff. I’d love to see Region D win a state title in football.