Bold predictions

Jags52

6 hours ago, KW23 said:

Lebanon was fun to watch vs 1a competition not so sure against 2a how that will go

Definitely a step up. I think they will beat Battle and Marion in 2A. I expect them to play tough with most teams on their schedule, excluding Graham, Tazewell, and VHS. I think athletically those teams will blow them out. Richlands I would put as a toss up right now. I think Lebanon would have beat them last year had they played. Lebanon's season in my opinion comes down to finding a strong running game and getting stronger on the line. Their passing game is fun, but they have to find a way to mix things up and be able to run consistently. They also lost 15 seniors. Including Olson and Hertig, so replacing them will be difficult. The Reece kid is a sophomore,  along with many of his favorite targets, they could have a special team in a couple of years in my opinion, but I don't think they are quite their yet. 

18 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Sixcat, I know you know your team better than the rest on here, but I will believe 4-6 or 3-7 only when I see it.   To well coached and too technical on the line of scrimmage for that to happen imo.  If it happens, hopefully the Spartans can finally get a W this year over the M.Tide, well, even if Galax went 9-1, I would hope for the Spartans to be the W.  We got pushed around last year in the 2nd half on the LOS at home.  For us to catch up, there needs to be some decent improvement one way and decent decline the other way as far the LOS goes.

Rather than try to explain everything the lost to graduation, I will just say, they return two All-State performers in AJ Ashworth and Tedruhn Tucker and two WR/DB's that are still 5'-4" tall. 

With no JV team the past two seasons, I don't know from where those losses are going to be filled? They have a few younger kids ready to step in and produce but none play on the line of scrimmage that I'm aware of. Considering the entire LOS graduated, it's going to be a long season. Just my opinion. I hope they can prove me wrong.

19 hours ago, Pioneer said:

Definitely a step up. I think they will beat Battle and Marion in 2A. I expect them to play tough with most teams on their schedule, excluding Graham, Tazewell, and VHS. I think athletically those teams will blow them out. Richlands I would put as a toss up right now. I think Lebanon would have beat them last year had they played. Lebanon's season in my opinion comes down to finding a strong running game and getting stronger on the line. Their passing game is fun, but they have to find a way to mix things up and be able to run consistently. They also lost 15 seniors. Including Olson and Hertig, so replacing them will be difficult. The Reece kid is a sophomore,  along with many of his favorite targets, they could have a special team in a couple of years in my opinion, but I don't think they are quite their yet. 

Rumor has it that Lebanons actual athletes from the basketball and baseball team will play this year which could make them be top 3 in the swd.

5 hours ago, Stelley said:

Rumor has it that Lebanons actual athletes from the basketball and baseball team will play this year which could make them be top 3 in the 

I could see that. I know in the spring they were trying to get the schools athletes more interested in playing, but didn't know how it turned out. The school does have good athletes throughout the building. The football team should consistently be decent for that reason, but interest wasn't there for years. Glad it seems to be rebounding and moving in a good direction. If they have the athletes I could see a top 3 finish. 

9 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Odds on favs to win SWD And M7?

GMen clear 1, Taz two?

M7? No idea. Could be GC Union RV or Abingdon but that wouldn’t effect playoffs. 

I’ve seen a lot of people favoring us to win M7. I mean we could. 

I wouldn’t sleep on Gate City. They are hungry to get back to being a contender. 

Never count out Ridgeview or Abingdon of course. 

13 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Odds on favs to win SWD And M7?

GMen clear 1, Taz two?

M7? No idea. Could be GC Union RV or Abingdon but that wouldn’t effect playoffs. 

I would say Graham at #1 clearly.  Tazewell has a good group of athletes returning and should be #2.  Even with the loss of Cassius Harris, the passing game for Tazewell should be very good.  They have a couple of good running backs, how good will depend on the lineplay.   The qb played with a hurt shoulder last season and took a bit of a step back from his freshman season.  Hopefully, he will be healed up and ready for another strong showing.  I would protect him at all costs.  I wouldn't have him running the option.  

V-High and Richlands next tier and Lebanon and Marion bottom tier would be my estimation.  

I'm hearing Union might be down one of their key players and that Richlands lost a couple players to transfers.  If all true, that could affect some things.  Anyone have the latest on either of these situations?  If Union rumor is true, might have to look at Abingdon/Ridgeview as #1 in M7 and Richlands as potentially #4 in SWD.  Is Tazewell's defense going to be better than last year?  The two games I watched of them, it was pretty bad which is odd because it looked like they had some athletes and potential.  

5 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

I'm hearing Union might be down one of their key players and that Richlands lost a couple players to transfers.  If all true, that could affect some things.  Anyone have the latest on either of these situations?  If Union rumor is true, might have to look at Abingdon/Ridgeview as #1 in M7 and Richlands as potentially #4 in SWD.  Is Tazewell's defense going to be better than last year?  The two games I watched of them, it was pretty bad which is odd because it looked like they had some athletes and potential.  

I can’t speak to Union situation but heard Richlands lost a couple players to Honaker. As for Tazewell, I think they are sometimes their own worst opponent. I could be wrong but I feel like they get in their own heads or let other teams get in their heads. They have some really good athletes returning and if their QB is full strength this year, they could have a strong passing presence. It will be interesting to see how things shake out for them. 

14 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

I'm only aware of the backup QB that transferred to Dobyns Bennett. He is a talented QB, but wouldn't have played this year, although he should have. Hence the transfer.

If you're referring to anyone else, I have no clue.

10 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

I'm only aware of the backup QB that transferred to Dobyns Bennett. He is a talented QB, but wouldn't have played this year, although he should have. Hence the transfer.

Only one I’ve heard of too.  Also hearing he’s gotta chance at some playing time.  Apparently he’s good enough to play for a 6A school but not 2A

On 7/22/2023 at 5:58 PM, Duke2015 said:

Only one I’ve heard of too.  Also hearing he’s gotta chance at some playing time.  Apparently he’s good enough to play for a 6A school but not 2A

Wow.  Daddy ball bad down at Union?  What's the kid's name?  Was he the back up last year?

On 7/22/2023 at 7:03 AM, Union_Fan said:

On 7/22/2023 at 5:58 PM, Duke2015 said:

Hope he gets playing time for us... hope he's the guy we've been looking for to finally get us past the Helltoppers... 😄

On 7/22/2023 at 4:37 PM, Gridiron60 said:

I can’t verify it obviously just heard that rumor, lol. Maybe a Richlands or Honaker person could tell us for sure! Yeah, if it’s true, it’s kind of funny. 

It my understanding the transfers to Honaker are younger kids that are classmates of the Lowe kids, which are not in high school yet, a few boys and girls. Guess Aaron is taking over girls basketball and football for the Tigers, good luck with that! 

4 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Hope he gets playing time for us... hope he's the guy we've been looking for to finally get us past the Helltoppers... 😄

I think Sykes will probably be the #2 guy at DB from what I had heard.  The kid who transferred from Betsy is more likely the one to get the starting spot.

4 hours ago, bleedblue89 said:

It my understanding the transfers to Honaker are younger kids that are classmates of the Lowe kids, which are not in high school yet, a few boys and girls. Guess Aaron is taking over girls basketball and football for the Tigers, good luck with that! 

This is correct. However, in the spring OL/DL/LB/TE (same player, but various roles at RHS) transferred and should immediately help the Tigers this season. One of the Tigers leading receivers was a former Richlands kid. While not technically a current transfer it might be considered indicative of the recent trend.

46 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

Not to Honaker, but last season the former QB transferred to Lebanon, and I assume will be suiting up for the Pioneers.

Oh yeah, the board heard all about that on here from his mama last fall,  lol! Richlands had more than its fair share of athletic drama last year. 

6 hours ago, bleedblue89 said:

What’s Todd Tiller think about that?