Best HS Football Game Coverage in SWVA

ImFromOutEast

What daily/weekly newspapers (or online sources) provide the best high school sports coverage in SWVA. I would guess that the most drive traffic to their website instead of a print edition. That's what the paper in Richmond does. Next to no high school coverage in the print edition until playoff time and even that is a smattering of games. the Fredericksburg paper once had a great prep staff and staffed 7-8 games on Friday nights with staff or stringers, plus provided an extensive roundup of other games. Its coverage was so good that it got to the point where high school football had its own section (usually 8 pages including college football previews, etc)  on Saturday mornings during the regular season. All that ended when they shut down their printing plant and switched to being printed by the Richmond paper with an insane early deadline Now Friday night game coverage -- with a smaller staff -- is included in the Sunday edition. I understand that most Lee Enterprises papers have gone to publishing their print editions only 3 days a week now. 

I started his topic because someone mentioned one of the football programs in SWVA hosting a media day.

Edited by ImFromOutEast
correction necessary

2 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Kingsport Times News has good coverage of Lee, Wise, Scott, Dickenson, and Washington counties.

The Times News Twitter live feed on Friday Nights is the bomb! You can keep up on every game at whatever game you are attending!

The Bristol Herald Courier and Roanoke Times do a decent job. But there is a growing gap in their coverage areas in the Wytheville, Galax area that seems to get a bit wider as budgets get a bit tighter. 

I've found the best coverage and information in the weekly threads on this site reserved for that weeks games.

9 hours ago, ImFromOutEast said:

What daily/weekly newspapers (or online sources) provide the best high school sports coverage in SWVA. I would guess that the most drive traffic to their website instead of a print edition. That's what the paper in Richmond does. Next to no high school coverage in the print edition until playoff time and even that is a smattering of games. the Fredericksburg paper once had a great prep staff and staffed 7-8 games on Friday nights with staff or stringers, plus provided an extensive roundup of other games. Its coverage was so good that it got to the point where high school football had its own section (usually 8 pages including college football previews, etc)  on Saturday mornings during the regular season. All that ended when they shut down their printing plant and switched to being printed by the Richmond paper with an insane early deadline Now Friday night game coverage -- with a smaller staff -- is included in the Sunday edition. I understand that most Lee Enterprises papers have gone to publishing their print editions only 3 days a week now. 

I started his topic because someone mentioned one of the football programs in SWVA hosting a media day.

this isn’t necessarily what you were asking about but check out this article written about the importance of football in SWVA by Brady Hess:

http://coalfieldsports.com/2018/07/23/swva-where-high-school-football-is-king/

11 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

The Bristol Herald Courier does a good job of covering weekly matchups in far SWVA.  Both online and in print.

I might have to start getting the Bristol paper again then.  The Kingsport paper has been awful last few years 

Is the Coalfield Progress in Norton still any account? They used to have great coverage, so awesome that I subscribed to it in another lifetime. Had a great football preview section as well although that status changed in my mind when it became a "Fall Sports" guide.

Tim is one of the best period.  Allen Gregory does a good job also.  I miss George Thwaites covering SWVA for the Kingsport Times News.   He used to do a great job.  I know he moved back up around Bluefield and maybe worked for the telegraph but I dont look for too many articles in that area.  Kevin Mays led the charge at the Coalfield for years and then filled the gap at KTN until taking a job with WJHL I think last spring.  Tanner Cook is pretty good young writer for the KTN who seems to cover SWVA now.  It just seems like the owners are barely keeping that paper afloat, but Tanner is solid.

Hayes is good and I really like the work Tanner Cook does.  They do a great job of writing articles about individual players. Here are two examples that I would have personally wrote about if I was a young writer covering the area.  However, I think they miss opportunities to write collective and compelling articles about the football area overall. This year, or last year, they should have written about the current junior class of quarterbacks in the 2D with O'Quinn, Pendergraft and Creasey.  I'm not sure this area has ever had young QBs throwing for that much yardage.  You could throw in the Lebanon QB and some others as well.  Additionally, I thought they would cover the outstanding WR core from two years ago with Cassius Harris, Brandon Beavers, Sage Webb and Haynes Carter all having between 900-1100 yards and being All-State WRs.  Three of those are playing D1 or D2 football now.  This area just doesn't see that much WR and QB talent at one time.