2023 scrims/jams/bg's

VHSLhelper

3 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Mt Airy will be leaning heavily on Ernest T Bass this season. STRENGTHS: While best known for his strong and accurate arm, his speed and elusiveness make him a true dual-threat.   CONCERNS/WEAKNESSES: Issues with authority make him nearly un-coachable, Vandalism, Academics.  OUTLOOK: Despite the legal concerns and apparent illiteracy, Bass remains a top target for UNC.

Also has a great “mother figure.”

2 minutes ago, Graham32 said:

We will see how good the G-Men are next week. Good measuring stick game.

I’ll be anxious to see how the line holds up with the graduation of some key pieces, we’ll see if the younger ones can step up and how Roberts does at QB. In the past special teams has struggled at times although I thought they came along nicely last year. Who took Alvis’s place at center? 

3 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I’ll be anxious to see how the line holds up with the graduation of some key pieces, we’ll see if the younger ones can step up and how Roberts does at QB. In the past special teams has struggled at times although I thought they came along nicely last year. Who took Alvis’s place at center? 

It was supposed to be Lloyd, but he was in street clothes. 55 started. No idea without a roster.

7 minutes ago, CPF said:

It was supposed to be Lloyd, but he was in street clothes. 55 started. No idea without a roster.

So honestly how did we look? Was GE expected to be decent this year or no?

7 minutes ago, Graham32 said:

So honestly how did we look? Was GE expected to be decent this year or no?

Pretty good I thought. The one touchdown allowed looked to be a missed assignment by someone not covering the gap they ran thru. But overall pretty darn good.  We were missing 2 starting linemen but the new kids played very well.

11 minutes ago, CPF said:

Pretty good I thought. The one touchdown allowed looked to be a missed assignment by someone not covering the gap they ran thru. But overall pretty darn good.  We were missing 2 starting linemen but the new kids played very well.

They will get that cleaned up. Next week will tell us alot. JM returned a lot. 

6 hours ago, cwillowe said:

Anyone know how Ridgeview looked in their scrimmage?

Letcher Central looked pretty solid.

RV didn’t look sharp. Had moments where they looked decent. Certainly a lot of room for improvement but a significant drop off from where they’ve been. They have some playmakers but they just lost so much last year that I don’t think they can overcome. The running back is a bowling ball. Not a speedy game breaker but just a throw back physical back. QB is solid as expected. Can the offensive line protect the QB or punch holes for the backs? That’s the question. Defensively, LB play is solid. Probably the best defensive group. The rest of the defense is really inexperienced. Again they just lost so much last year that a lot of these kids are seeing real action for the first time. I can see the floor being 5-5 and the ceiling being 8-2.

Graham defense looked very good today with exception to the one play where the LB rushed in and their RB got through. Otherwise they played very good. Some jumping early. I thought Hughes, Railey and Floyd had some very good plays in defense. We did have some key players sitting out. I think our OL needs some work, several blocks missed. Hughes had a good run without much blocking and Jennings had some real nice runs. Overall, I thought they looked pretty darn good today. Just my opinion 

Twin Valley Dressed 14 and had 3 out with two more pickups from the rumor mill. Played hard and has a dandy little fr QB. Loss both but looked like they gave good effort. Eastside was surprisingly solid after last year. PH was huge and best team there. Hurley played hard and had their moments. Castlewood has a good Qb and good wr. Northwood had a bigger roster than expected with an athletc qb and solid rb. 

2 hours ago, CPF said:

Didn’t he have an ACL injury back in winter? Maybe he’s not been released to play. Just a thought if he was in street clothes & not dressed. 

14 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Didn’t he have an ACL injury back in winter? Maybe he’s not been released to play. Just a thought if he was in street clothes & not dressed. 

He is close to being released I've heard.

41 minutes ago, Wvumav said:

Was told by a friend James Monroe’s 1st team scored 8 times against Greenbrier East. Second team scored 3-4 times and East scored once against our second team.

We will find out how good JM is next week.

38 minutes ago, Graham32 said:

We will find out how good JM is next week.

Graham will definitely be a tougher challenge. Greenbrier East could be in for a tough year. James Monroe’s schedule is harder this year than last years. So we could actually be better than last year but the overall record might not show it. Wish we could have found a 10th game but it’s a lot harder when you have been winning lately. We have 2 byes in the first 4 weeks and don’t play a home game till October. It is what it is I guess.

7 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Mt Airy will be leaning heavily on Ernest T Bass this season. STRENGTHS: While best known for his strong and accurate arm, his speed and elusiveness make him a true dual-threat.   CONCERNS/WEAKNESSES: Issues with authority make him nearly un-coachable, Vandalism, Academics.  OUTLOOK: Despite the legal concerns and apparent illiteracy, Bass remains a top target for UNC.

Well he got a diploma*, didn't he??

* from Bishop Sycamore

Radford vs Blacksburg Scrimmage

Radford obviously looked better than Blacksburg.  Take aways from watching this on NFHS from my opinion only.

Radford is not nearly as explosive athletically as last year. Radford is not as good up front as last year, and last year, they were pretty good up front, but what got them was issues up front againt Glenvar and Appomattox.  Radford is still and 8-2, 9-1 type team.  Glenvar will beat them.  Tough games will be Galax, GW, Giles, maybe Floyd, maybe V. High. They could still win all of those.  Finishing 9-1 last year, they absolutely don't look as talented across the board as last year in space, or up front.  One key piece- The QB.  In my opinion, he's the best HS QB in Virginia West of Radford, VA to the Kentucky border for the 2023 season.  ODU has offered and VT is interested as well as WF, JMU, NC State, ECU.  

Blacksburg- Blacksburg is better than last year.  Are they going to be "good"?  I don't think so, but they are a better football team in my opinion in a scrimmage against Radford than what they were in game 10 of the regular season last year.  They look better athletically and up front.  Blacksburgs last win in football came around October of 2019 and they have lost approximately 25 games in a row since then.  I think they get 1-2 wins this year and finish 1-9 or 2-8.  They are going to be bad, but "less bad" than they have been.

Only my opinions...

23 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Radford vs Blacksburg Scrimmage

Radford obviously looked better than Blacksburg.  Take aways from watching this on NFHS from my opinion only.

Radford is not nearly as explosive athletically as last year. Radford is not as good up front as last year, and last year, they were pretty good up front, but what got them was issues up front againt Glenvar and Appomattox.  Radford is still and 8-2, 9-1 type team.  Glenvar will beat them.  Tough games will be Galax, GW, Giles, maybe Floyd, maybe V. High. They could still win all of those.  Finishing 9-1 last year, they absolutely don't look as talented across the board as last year in space, or up front.  One key piece- The QB.  In my opinion, he's the best HS QB in Virginia West of Radford, VA to the Kentucky border for the 2023 season.  ODU has offered and VT is interested as well as WF, JMU, NC State, ECU.  

Blacksburg- Blacksburg is better than last year.  Are they going to be "good"?  I don't think so, but they are a better football team in my opinion in a scrimmage against Radford than what they were in game 10 of the regular season last year.  They look better athletically and up front.  Blacksburgs last win in football came around October of 2019 and they have lost approximately 25 games in a row since then.  I think they get 1-2 wins this year and finish 1-9 or 2-8.  They are going to be bad, but "less bad" than they have been.

Only my opinions...

Honestly other than giles I'll be surprised if they win another game....I don't think they beat giles either but imo that's their only shot at a win

5 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Honestly other than giles I'll be surprised if they win another game....I don't think they beat giles either but imo that's their only shot at a win

They'll have a shot against Giles, Floyd, and maybe Rockbridge County and maybe Hidden Valley. Floyd, from what I've been told, lost a bunch of senior starters last year and should be rebuilding.  Rockbridge isn't that good, and I wasn't overly impressed with Hidden Valley in seeing them against us on NFHS (didn't see it in person).  They looked slightly better than Blacksburg in my opinion, but not 2-3 touchdowns better.

I think Blacksburg is going to be in the game with us.  I think we will win it, but I will be surprised if it's by more than 10.  

For the peeps in the Bluefields, any word on the Beavers with their scrimmage against Lee or Staunton (whatever their name is now.) I got a sister up on 81 and her hubby (my brother in law) keeps up with Valley area football. He said he can't find anything either. I talked to 2 Bluefield guys today and they didn't know.

Hel%, did they scrimmage? If they did, how did Bluefield and Staunton look?

P.S bro in law told me Riverheads just took T.Ashby completely apart in their scrimmage. He also said what I've heard and read from other people. He said Stuart's Draft will be as good or better than Central this year and will give Riverheads all they want. Time will tell if that's true or not.