Week 1: Gate City @ Richlands

Wade_1

On 8/19/2023 at 9:23 AM, UnionGuy2017 said:

If the gate city starting quarterback does play I believe the Devils will have no trouble. 

They ain’t either way, not downing the blues, but I rode by there the other day and they look really young for the most part. Time will tell, and time will only make them better. I’ve said it several times, you’re not gonna be the worst and you’re not gonna be the best forever. Unless your a Dallas fan that is

I would lean Gate City on this one. They have too much coming back compared to Richlands. The Brown kid is gone and that was their offense last year. I know they threw the ball all over Grundy in the Benefit game but Grundy is not the same team they were last year. Gate City 35- Richlands- 14

If Gate City can defend the screen pass they win easy.  In Grundy game that's the only thing that worked for the Blues passing game, going deep, or even going to wide outs on short patterns wasn't working except when Grundy's defence missed assignments.  Running game is almost non-existant and the line on both sides of the ball is young.  I'll always pull for the Blues and hope for a win, but in this year I think the wins will be few and far between.  Good luck to all the players and coaches, and to the fans, remember that even if your team looses, the players are trying their best and need your support regardless of what the scoreboard shows at the end iof the game. GO BIG BLUE!!!!

I'll go GC close. The talent level at GC and football ready talent has improved the past 2 years and added to that, they have Houseright as HC, but it's not like Richlands is playing Appomattox or Graham talent. The gap is still narrow enough for Richlands to be able to win the game.

GC by 7 to 10 points, my opinion only. I know Richlands is down, but GC wins this gsme by 4 TDs, that's a real sign imo that GC truly is turning the corner and is at least close to being "back" or having something at least approaching close to what they once were.

This one could go either way. Our offensive line has me worried so our QB's will be on the move all night. Luckily for us they're very good on the run. I thought the backup played very well last week against VA High considering. One bright spot however is how they're running to the ball on defense. I look for this to be a close one.

10 minutes ago, GC_Quincy said:

This one could go either way. Our offensive line has me worried so our QB's will be on the move all night. Luckily for us they're very good on the run. I thought the backup played very well last week against VA High considering. One bright spot however is how they're running to the ball on defense. I look for this to be a close one.

What is wrong with the starter?

GC has several athletes, but as already mentioned, appears to be a little small and weak on the line.

Going against a similarly athletic team, that may be the difference.

Haven't heard anything about Richlands being athletic this year, so based on that, I'll go with the Devils.

21 minutes ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

Housewright is old school,  watching them on nfhs last season,  it appears they still study film to exploit your weak spots. Almost unheard of these days.  Simple but effective.  Devils 35-13 over the blue storm

It’s hard to out coach old school & watching film. I know some programs that have players watching film and breaking it down with them. Getting players to understand why watching film is beneficial is a very good thing. 

9 hours ago, GC_Quincy said:

Defense is the key for the Devils! With the modern offenses of the day, you have to be able to get off the field at least a few times a game. I look for ball control out of the Devils, their running backs and QB can control most games, as long as the line holds up even half way decent. Gate City has never had a 5 man o-line that averaged 300lbs across the board and have proved you don't need it to be successful, you don't need maulers on the line just ballers doing their jobs! I think the Devils win but it will  be close!

1 hour ago, BKFootball said:

Not going to be close gate city by at least 3-5 touchdowns, this will be a wake up call for all the 2a teams around gate city is back and ready to roll.

But will it, though? Is beating a young and less talented Richalnds teams a "wake up call?"

2 hours ago, BKFootball said:

Not going to be close gate city by at least 3-5 touchdowns, this will be a wake up call for all the 2a teams around gate city is back and ready to roll.

If GC beats Richlands by 4 or more touchdowns and then replicates a week later by beating Middlesboro by 4-5 Touchdowns, then beats Abingdon by 4 touchdowns, then that is a wake up call because that is the level GC was formerly at.

5 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

But will it, though? Is beating a young and less talented Richalnds teams a "wake up call?"

If they beat Union, Central, Ridgeview, Abingdon by 4 TDs, then set the alarm, lol. I actually hope the Blues can keep it close within a couple TDs. I like it when all 3 Tazewell County teams do well. 

4 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

If they beat Union, Central, Ridgeview, Abingdon by 4 TDs, then set the alarm, lol. I actually hope the Blues can keep it close within a couple TDs. I like it when all 3 Tazewell County teams do well. 

Right. Exactly. If GC beats those teams by 3-5 TD's, then we can start thinking about a Graham/GC regional matchup. But beating Richlands won't signal anything of any real importance lol. 

On 8/23/2023 at 7:28 AM, BKFootball said:

This is a Richlands program that has begun to trend down in the last 4-5 years. 

I do think Gate City has gotten better in the last few years and will continue to do so. 

But beating Richlands by 3-5 scores will not be so much a statement by Gate City.