New Head Coach at Richlands

Blue Tornado

On 12/31/2023 at 5:34 PM, Jags52 said:

I’m pretty sure he does play basketball and baseball which begs the question why would he come to Richlands when Lebanon is already better than Richlands in all 3 sports. He would also be in the SWD so really nothing changes he just has to carry the load with a different jersey on

Positional development. A particular coach and a particular offense.  There are/were two pass-oriented offenses in SWVA.....well, add Honaker to that, so three.  

20 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Positional development. A particular coach and a particular offense.  There are/were two pass-oriented offenses in SWVA.....well, add Honaker to that, so three.  

Dont forget Tazewell but I feel like they are good with their QB situation. That would be a hell of a QB battle though 

3 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Lebanon threw the ball a ton this year….probably more than Richlands. 

23 hours ago, Tigerman10 said:

Lebanon threw the ball a ton this year….probably more than Richlands. 

I'm not talking about current or last year's RIchlands staff when I say "development".  Something tells me Richlands is going to start being a strong pull for QB/WR development.  There are a lot of Richlands connections out there in SWVA.

6 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

I'm not talking about current or last year's RIchlands staff when I say "development".  Something tells me Richlands is going to start being a strong pull for QB/WR development.  There are a lot of Richlands connections out there in SWVA.

So are we looking at Richlands transitioning to the top team or near top team in SWD and/or Region next year with the addition of all these new coaches and transfers? 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

So are we looking at Richlands transitioning to the top team or near top team in SWD and/or Region next year with the addition of all these new coaches and transfers? 

I think it’s just fun to speculate. It’s not saying much, but I believe marked improvement is a reasonable expectation. Just the fact that there seems to be excitement is already a positive sign. I, for one , expect good things, but I know it will be a process over more than one season. The right personnel is a big step in the right direction. I don’t know the timeline, but it took Tony Palmer a few years, Division 1 athletes, and additions to staff and players that created the monster they are now in a couple of sports. Not casting stones, but for comparison sake and the picture of Graham now, what percentage of players on football and basketball teams came from GMS? It seems like a blueprint that works although sometimes geography caps the potential. 

10 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

I think it’s just fun to speculate. It’s not saying much, but I believe marked improvement is a reasonable expectation. Just the fact that there seems to be excitement is already a positive sign. I, for one , expect good things, but I know it will be a process over more than one season. The right personnel is a big step in the right direction. I don’t know the timeline, but it took Tony Palmer a few years, Division 1 athletes, and additions to staff and players that created the monster they are now in a couple of sports. Not casting stones, but for comparison sake and the picture of Graham now, what percentage of players on football and basketball teams came from GMS? It seems like a blueprint that works although sometimes geography caps the potential. 

No clue on how many came from GMS. Richlands can only go in one direction from last year which is good for Coach Davis, anything will be an improvement. If the Big R becomes a tough competitor that only helps the other SWD teams especially Tazewell & Graham. When multiple teams in same district perform at a high level , everyone is better! It makes watching a game a lot more fun when it’s close than a blowout. 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

No clue on how many came from GMS. Richlands can only go in one direction from last year which is good for Coach Davis, anything will be an improvement. If the Big R becomes a tough competitor that only helps the other SWD teams especially Tazewell & Graham. When multiple teams in same district perform at a high level , everyone is better! It makes watching a game a lot more fun when it’s close than a blowout. 

Amen to that. Well said. My rationale from the previous post is based upon speculation (I have no factual information, other than the head coach.), and the common pattern seen in recent years leading to success. 

Right head coach leads to increase in talent, leading to more wins, leading to more talent (both homegrown and transfers), which sometimes bleeds into other sports. If I am not mistaken, much of the skill position type talent in both sports have Mount View, Bluefield, and Princeton roots. 

Based upon most speculation in the posts, the prediction may not be too far fetched.

Edited by tornado99
Correction

16 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Hell, I'll throw a marker down.  Let's go with a +4/5 win total than last year.  The following year they'll be a 6-8 win team. 

It’ll be an absolutely sad day in Lebanon if Mike Reece actually transfers given how much the community loves him and supports him. There has been more talk in the community about how awesome Reece is in this past week than I’ve seen about another student athlete in a long time. Nobody in Lebanon wants him to go. That’s for sure. Obviously want what’s best for the kid, though. 

58 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Hell, I'll throw a marker down.  Let's go with a +4/5 win total than last year.  The following year they'll be a 6-8 win team. 

6-8? I may take the under on that lol, they were just wholly uncompetitive this year. It is possible tho esp if they adjust their scheduling tendencies, going from very good 2A and bigger competition to some good 1A and mid level 2A teams. 

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

6-8? I may take the under on that lol, they were just wholly uncompetitive this year. It is possible tho esp if they adjust their scheduling tendencies, going from very good 2A and bigger competition to some good 1A and mid level 2A teams. 

I think that’s a very reasonable prediction below. I think there’s some good talent in this year’s sophomore class, that will be seniors in 2 years of steady progress.

3 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

8 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Ill go with the under.. everyone is warm and fuzzy with the new coach, but reality will kick in fairly soon.  a year or 2 out before they really turn the corner.  I do hope the second best for the big blues though.

I always thought Honaker seemed like a school with a lot of potential in all sports, especially football for a 1A school. A winning tradition and the artificial turf is a plus also. Honaker seems like a school kids would want to transfer to if they wanted to make a run at a state title each year. 1A class D was not very strong this year and Honaker has everything in place to compete for or win the region on a yearly basis so yes I could see kids wanting to play there.

5 hours ago, Hokie Bound said:

I always thought Honaker seemed like a school with a lot of potential in all sports, especially football for a 1A school. A winning tradition and the artificial turf is a plus also. Honaker seems like a school kids would want to transfer to if they wanted to make a run at a state title each year. 1A class D was not very strong this year and Honaker has everything in place to compete for or win the region on a yearly basis so yes I could see kids wanting to play there.

This phenomenon was in effect this past year, I believe and is ever-present. I think it explains why Honaker is the primary beneficiary when Richlands is down. I’m sure Honaker is an excellent school on its own, and now “being a big fish in a small pond” is probably a greater draw now that Lebanon is also Class 2. This past year, the Tigers had a historically good class of homegrown players, that was then supplemented by transfers who likely came for the same reasons mentioned. I couldn’t say for certain how they compare to area Class 2 schools, but I imagine that they would be behind Graham and Union, and somewhere around GC or Tazewell. 
I only mention Tazewell for comparison sake in particular. In my opinion, they match up well with Honaker athletically, and most years have a speed advantage. Honaker and Tazewell are almost equidistant from Richlands, depending upon where around Richlands you live. If you are looking for a way out, and care more about standing out or hoping for a championship, it’s certainly an easier road through a Hogo/BDD schedule than an SWD/M7 schedule. If Lebanon falls upon hard times, it’s also a more attractive alternative than Abingdon for the same reasons. Richlands success or lack thereof is certainly going to continue to affect Honaker, even if a zero net effect. Example: Richlands improves and becomes a contender, but players still move for greater playing time and/or stats due to not having to face the Graham/Union juggernauts.

I think everyone hopes the Blues improve over last years dismal record, but reality is that it will take at least a couple of years to get even close to the top.  Talent dictates success in SWD and the talent is in the school, but getting them to come out and play will be the tricky thing.  Buddy Ball, and Daddy Ball, not to mention the failed leadership that wrecked the feeder program will be hard to overcome.  Students who are good enough to play don't want to just be on the practice team, and that's what has happened the past few years.  Good athletes have came out and worked their butts off only to be overlooked.  I've personally talked to a few and when I ask why they quit the team or wasn't playing the answer I got was ligit: "Who wants to be a proctice dummy for someone who isn't as talented."  That is what's been going on, so the talent said to heck with it and either transferred or just decided not to compete in a loosing situation.  There has been good talent left behind the last three years because of who they were, not how good they were, and this has to stop if the Blues are going to be successful, and I think this will happen, but could take a while.  Hope HC Davis gets some good assistants who will allow talent to play, not social status, or family connections.  Play the most talented, no matter who they are, let them play.

11 hours ago, Tru Blue72 said:

I think everyone hopes the Blues improve over last years dismal record, but reality is that it will take at least a couple of years to get even close to the top.  Talent dictates success in SWD and the talent is in the school, but getting them to come out and play will be the tricky thing.  Buddy Ball, and Daddy Ball, not to mention the failed leadership that wrecked the feeder program will be hard to overcome.  Students who are good enough to play don't want to just be on the practice team, and that's what has happened the past few years.  Good athletes have came out and worked their butts off only to be overlooked.  I've personally talked to a few and when I ask why they quit the team or wasn't playing the answer I got was ligit: "Who wants to be a proctice dummy for someone who isn't as talented."  That is what's been going on, so the talent said to heck with it and either transferred or just decided not to compete in a loosing situation.  There has been good talent left behind the last three years because of who they were, not how good they were, and this has to stop if the Blues are going to be successful, and I think this will happen, but could take a while.  Hope HC Davis gets some good assistants who will allow talent to play, not social status, or family connections.  Play the most talented, no matter who they are, let them play.

That’s good advice for all head coaches. 

20 hours ago, Tru Blue72 said:

Anyone hearing any news or speculation on the assistant coaches for the Blues? Tic-toc-tic-toc

Don't think it is 100% finalized yet but some significant pieces have been decided on.  Names will be released later,....probably due to current commitments that have to honor. I think everyone is curious about the DC role and who fills that. I know, I am.