Scores and Updates-Dec 2

Liam McPoyle

1 minute ago, BBHoops_18 said:

I agree. No reason there shouldn't be 4 like NC. Once you get up in the higher classifications I don't think there's much of a drop off between divisions anyway. I don't know what some schools enrollments are but I'd imagine Stone Bridge and Maury should be in the highest level of VA football. 

NC has had 8 classifications for football for quite some time 

2 minutes ago, sixcat said:

No they don’t. They’ve had 4 for the past few years. 

https://myfox8.com/sports/football/friday-night-football/north-carolina-high-school-athletic-association-expanding-from-4-to-8-classifications/

I didn’t realize they had moved away from it, but looks like they are going right back. 

2 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

https://myfox8.com/sports/football/friday-night-football/north-carolina-high-school-athletic-association-expanding-from-4-to-8-classifications/

I didn’t realize they had moved away from it, but looks like they are going right back. 

Well, that’s a shame. They have the best system going right now in my opinion. 

I guess the Charlotte area schools are tired of not winning state titles.  

3 hours ago, Tigerman10 said:

I was just reading some of the threads on this subject on NCPreps. It appears the North Carolina General Assembly got involved and took control of the playoff system away from the NCHSAA. 

The General Assembly is placing a 64 team maximum per classification and NCHSAA has to stay within those, plus several other, parameters.

I was surprised to learn North Carolina has 300 more high schools than Virginia. I knew NC had more but not that many more. NC has 686 schools to VA’s 386. If NC has 8 classes with 300 more schools, it doesn’t make sense for VA to have 6 classes with 300 fewer schools.

Not one person in those threads was happy with the changes coming up in 2025/2026. 

4 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Congrats to Radford, the better team won.  They out-played and out-coached Graham.  They have good senior leadership on that team.  I'll be pulling them next week.

9 out of 10 times I’d say Graham wins but they were just the better team today. Hats off to them on a well played game. 

9 minutes ago, Graham32 said:

9 out of 10 times I’d say Graham wins but they were just the better team today. Hats off to them on a well played game. 

I think Graham could definitely beat Radford had they played better but 9 out of 10? I don't see that. I think we questioned Radford after their close wins over Appo and Glenvar. In reality beating Appo was a huge mental hurdle for them. For many years Crist has been on the receiving end of verbal beat downs on here. Instead of wanting our Frosty's from Wendy's we need some A1 sauce or BBQ sauce to put on our crow.😂 Granted he has a stellar QB but what team at this point in the season doesn't have an outstanding player or two?

8 hours ago, sixcat said:

@RedPrideNationis on top of it. They clear the stadium so you can’t pay once to watch both games. 

This frustrates a lot of folks, but it isn't entirely about revenue. The league is trying to assure that fans and parents from different games aren't competing or being knocked out of prime seating to watch their respective games.

This has been an issue with basketball in the past. A venue fills up and fans don't always leave after the first game, which means fans arriving for second game end up with less seating and/or less desirable seating. In basketball, parents have literally been denied tickets at VCU to watch their kid play in the State Finals or Semis due to venue reaching capacity (due to multiple games being played).

The league has since tried to prevent this from occuring ever again. 

I get your beef, but there is a precedent that led to this type of decision and it isn't greed on the part of the league.

4 hours ago, bucfan64 said:

This frustrates a lot of folks, but it isn't entirely about revenue. The league is trying to assure that fans and parents from different games aren't competing or being knocked out of prime seating to watch their respective games.

This has been an issue with basketball in the past. A venue fills up and fans don't always leave after the first game, which means fans arriving for second game end up with less seating and/or less desirable seating. In basketball, parents have literally been denied tickets at VCU to watch their kid play in the State Finals or Semis due to venue reaching capacity (due to multiple games being played).

The league has since tried to prevent this from occuring ever again. 

I get your beef, but there is a precedent that led to this type of decision and it isn't greed on the part of the league.

I appreciate your explanation but it’s not my “beef.”  I was simply offering an overly simplified answer to the question “why such a long gap between games?”

8 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

I think Graham could definitely beat Radford had they played better but 9 out of 10? I don't see that. I think we questioned Radford after their close wins over Appo and Glenvar. In reality beating Appo was a huge mental hurdle for them. For many years Crist has been on the receiving end of verbal beat downs on here. Instead of wanting our Frosty's from Wendy's we need some A1 sauce or BBQ sauce to put on our crow.😂 Granted he has a stellar QB but what team at this point in the season doesn't have an outstanding player or two?

You obviously didn’t watch the game yesterday. Graham literally gift wrapped it for Radford. 2 horrible punts, a dropped pass that IMO changed the whole game.

But hey that’s how it goes sometimes. Can’t win them all.

10 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

I agree.  I think Radford was definitely better then Graham overall.  They didn't make mistakes and they were sound fundamentally.  Excellent tackling on defense.  Maybe Graham wins 4 out of 10.  That senior leadership is something that can't be undervalued .

1 hour ago, Graham32 said:

You obviously didn’t watch the game yesterday. Graham literally gift wrapped it for Radford. 2 horrible punts, a dropped pass that IMO changed the whole game.

The dropped pass was a big game changer for sure.  Radford was a very sound ball club on both sides of the ball.  I think I for one seriously underestimated their D-Line.  They were pretty stout 

1 hour ago, Graham32 said:

Gift wrapped? Graham just continues to make same mistakes over and over all year...that's a pattern and radford was probably planning it would happen again. 

The DLineman for Graham jumped off sides a few times and he was right at the ball...inexcusable...he also complained a lot

Clark is a stud...at this level thar takes you a long way

1 minute ago, Real Sasquatch said:

The dropped pass was a big game changer for sure.  Radford was a very sound ball club on both sides of the ball.  I think I for one seriously underestimated their D-Line.  They were pretty stout 

Their LBs are very very good too 

2 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I agree.  I think Radford was definitely better then Graham overall.  They didn't make mistakes and they were sound fundamentally.  Excellent tackling on defense.  Maybe Graham wins 4 out of 10.  That senior leadership is something that can't be undervalued .

Senior leadership is important. Not knocking Graham’s Seniors but I think last year’s group of Seniors were better leaders on the field. They kept everyone focused and driven. Granted Graham had  several Senior starters this year they lost permanently as the season progressed and young guys had to step in, I think Hughes is a good leader but he wasn’t on the field with them I think he did exceptionally well from the sidelines trying to support his team though. He’s definitely a positive role model & tough kid.

The one highlight is Graham is very young and played a lot of young kids yesterday. Maybe they’ll grow into dynamic leaders on the field. I’m not sure if leadership can be taught or if it’s simply innate. I guess time will tell with this group. 

I think Radford’s speed on defense caught Graham off guard. The way they swarm to the ball is impressive. In my opinion Graham slightly has more overall team talent but they just got out-coached, out-played, and out-disciplined. I told people earlier in the week to not count Radford out just because of how they looked against a well coached district rival in a rematch last Friday. 

Looking forward Radford is certainly capable of beating Riverheads, but they won’t hold them to 10 points. Radford wins by answering every time RH scores and hoping they cough the ball up a time a few times. I’m hoping the Bobcats win, but I’m taking the big red machine 42-30.

Riverheads offensive scheme is tough on LB's and as good as Radford's LB's are, it's tough the way RH blocks.  They pull quiet a bit, but mix it up with some straight zone blocking (big on big)  LB's have to make a quick decision and commit to it and hope they're right.  OL for RH is fun to watch, good feet, quick, big, and don't miss many blocks.  They're perfectly content with 4 yards a carry while making a defense respect both sides and be accountable for everyone in the backfield.  Radford will have to make several stands and hope for a couple of turnovers, otherwise RH will absolutely eat the clock and milk the game.

Radford needs early explosive plays. Needs to get a lead. Get their athletes in space and get a 14 to zip lead and make Riverheads play from behind.

Radford can win this game. Riverheads sees nothing like this offensively for most of the year regarding being spread out and a QB that can run. This will be a good game. I favor Radford here.

28 minutes ago, EH31 said:

After a late surge it looks like graham is going to win the game 42-7 on IF’s.

better luck next time Bobcats. 

Atleast we played yesterday 😉

I hope Galax beats the dog poop out of Essex. Galax somewhat down, looks ugly early on and for sure, it's Grayson, Honaker, maybe even George Wythe or Rye Cove. Nope, it's Galax in the state title game and Galax can win the game. Galax can beat Essex. This isn't Martinsburg vs Princeton. Galax has a very reasonable shot to go from where it was preseason and early season regarding ugly perception to literally winning a state title.