Jason Mullins out at Central

Observer

On 3/21/2024 at 2:38 PM, sixcat said:

Anyone have an answer?

I remember reading in the Roanoke Times that Fiddler's daughter had signed to play basketball with a school in the MAAC conference but I don't recall which one. She should be a soph or jr this year in college. So they must be talking about one of Fiddler's assistant coaches daughters- which I know nothing about any of them.

1 hour ago, breckt said:

I remember reading in the Roanoke Times that Fiddler's daughter had signed to play basketball with a school in the MAAC conference but I don't recall which one. She should be a soph or jr this year in college. So they must be talking about one of Fiddler's assistant coaches daughters- which I know nothing about any of them.

Niagara

This whole situation bad for an outside hire, it has to be an inside hire, it is way way to late . I don’t care what anyone says , a new coach needs plenty of time to install weight room mentality and schemes.  Pray for all involved especially the most important part…….players!

On 3/30/2024 at 5:37 PM, breckt said:

So they must be talking about one of Fiddler's assistant coaches daughters- which I know nothing about any of them.

I know the entire coaching staff at PH Roanoke.

• Both Johnson's are in their mid-60's and have been coaching in Roanoke for 40 years. Lee Johnson is PH's AD. I don't see either as a possibility.
  • Both Drakeford's are PH royalty. PH and Ferrum College Hall-Of-Fame. They would also be a terrible fit in Wise County so, I don't see either as a possibility.
  • Josh Dix has an incredibly successful business in Roanoke. I highly doubt he's leaving that behind to move to Wise County. 
  • Tommy Jones is in his 60's and one of the best Track & Field coaches in Virginia. He's been at PH for 30 years. I don't see that as a possibility.

That leaves Jay Goad. The only one I don't know anything about. But I'm reasonably certain, none of the coaches on this list have a daughter playing basketball, including Goad. The head coach, Alan Fiddler, has a daughter named Shelby playing basketball at Niagara University. She just finished her sophomore season where she appeared in all 35 games. 

23 hours ago, TnT+h said:

This whole situation bad for an outside hire, it has to be an inside hire, it is way way to late . I don’t care what anyone says , a new coach needs plenty of time to install weight room mentality and schemes.  Pray for all involved especially the most important part…….players!

It has been 68 days since this job has been open the fact that it has not been filled should be alarming to fans and players. If they are hiring from outside there is a good chance the coach cant get there until the end of the school year but why wouldnt you go ahead and announce it so the guy can get to know his players even if he can be there in person. I am not sure when the next school board meeting is but it has to be soon. regardless they have let at least 2 meeting come and go without putting up a name. At this point it is a lose lose situation for who ever gets this job. The hire is probably going to look like a bad one in year one just because the guy is going to have 3 months to develop his players where everyone else has been working since the end of last season. Hopefully the patient and understanding fan base of Wise Central gives this guy some time and is not calling for his head after one bad season. 

14 hours ago, Jags52 said:

It has been 68 days since this job has been open the fact that it has not been filled should be alarming to fans and players. If they are hiring from outside there is a good chance the coach cant get there until the end of the school year but why wouldnt you go ahead and announce it so the guy can get to know his players even if he can be there in person. I am not sure when the next school board meeting is but it has to be soon. regardless they have let at least 2 meeting come and go without putting up a name. At this point it is a lose lose situation for who ever gets this job. The hire is probably going to look like a bad one in year one just because the guy is going to have 3 months to develop his players where everyone else has been working since the end of last season. Hopefully the patient and understanding fan base of Wise Central gives this guy some time and is not calling for his head after one bad season. 

Hmm....if I were Union or Ridgeview, I'd be sniffing around for some athletes that are close to the district lines.  Don't let your rival's mistakes go unpunished. 

22 hours ago, Jags52 said:

Hopefully the patient and understanding fan base of Wise Central gives this guy some time and is not calling for his head after one bad season. 

😂😂😂

This has me cracking up.

My thoughts are they don’t have a teacher position for there guy because they won’t move any of the old guys…. So they are having to circle the wagons to keep everyone happy 

8 minutes ago, TnT+h said:

My thoughts are they don’t have a teacher position for there guy because they won’t move any of the old guys…. So they are having to circle the wagons to keep everyone happy 

Is teaching a prerequisite in Wise County? Not too many football coaches teaching class anymore. At least not out this way (Region C). 

17 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Is teaching a prerequisite in Wise County? Not too many football coaches teaching class anymore. At least not out this way (Region C). 

Who are some of those that don't, and what do they do for a living?

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

It's not a requirement, but nearly all coaches are teachers.

A good portion of those are PE or SpEd. I would say that few are teaching English, math, history, etc...

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

A good portion of those are PE or SpEd. I would say that few are teaching English, math, history, etc...

I would say it’s hard to find a head coach that doesn’t teach

1. If they don’t teach they can’t be in the hallways recruiting

2. you better have a good paying job because the 5k-8k supplement isn’t gonna put food on anyone’s table

3. Very few jobs let their employees off at 3 so they can get to practice and games

I know Palmer does it at Graham so their is an exception to every rule but I don’t know why you would want your head coach in the building

13 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Who are some of those that don't, and what do they do for a living?

Sorry for the delay in responding. There was golf to be played after leaving the office yesterday afternoon.

Coaches don't have to actually teach class to be employed within a school system. It's simple for a school system to create a position for a coach. Mark Dixon was listed as a school psychologist. That doesn't mean he actually did anything in that official capacity. Shane Allen is an aide in the Special Education Department. As a matter of fact, only 3 varsity head coaches at Galax actually teach class. The volleyball coach teaches World History, the girls basketball coach teaches Geography and Personal Finance, and the boys basketball coach teaches Gym.

The baseball coach is an aide in the Middle School. The Swim & Dive, Cross Country, and Track & Field coaches run the Galax Recreation Center. One is Director, the other is the Assistant Director. The Wrestling coach lives in North Carolina. I have no idea what he does professionally but he doesn't work for the school system. The Golf coach is the General Manager of Blue Ridge Country Club. The majority of assistant coaches are listed as "paraprofessionals" on the school website but have no clear classroom responsibility. I assume they are aides.

Stephen James doesn't teach anything at Grayson. Seth Greer doesn't teach anything at Carroll. Both are listed on their schools directories but neither have a position listed. Greer was a state trooper for a decade prior to getting into coaching. 

11 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

This funny because three of the coaches during my high school career taught English, math, & the other history. These days, I do see a lot of PE teachers that are coaches and I see many who aren’t even employed by school system around here anyway. 

10 hours ago, Jags52 said:

I would say it’s hard to find a head coach that doesn’t teach

1. If they don’t teach they can’t be in the hallways recruiting

2. you better have a good paying job because the 5k-8k supplement isn’t gonna put food on anyone’s table

3. Very few jobs let their employees off at 3 so they can get to practice and games

I know Palmer does it at Graham so their is an exception to every rule but I don’t know why you would want your head coach in the building

Tony Palmer actually did a brief stint at Graham High School, maybe as SPED teacher but went back to law enforcement. I agree, it helps when the head coach is in the building but I think one of Graham’s assistants works there though. 

2 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

This funny because three of the coaches during my high school career taught English, math, & the other history. These days, I do see a lot of PE teachers that are coaches and I see many who aren’t even employed by school system around here anyway. 

I can't recall a single coach that wasn't a teacher back in my high school days. But it is becoming more and more common for coaches to either be in non-teaching positions within the school system or not employed by the school system at all.

4 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I can't recall a single coach that wasn't a teacher back in my high school days. But it is becoming more and more common for coaches to either be in non-teaching positions within the school system or not employed by the school system at all.

Every coach in high school was a teacher in my day too. Teachers have a lot on them these days compared to back then and I’m betting unless they just love a sport dearly, most aren’t going to coach for the minuscule stipend, extra time involved, &  added stress. 

4 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Over the years, it seems more coaches are getting into "flexible" positions. Ones that don't really impact students' standardized testing.

These positions allow the coaches to take care of their team responsibilities throughout the day without loss of instructional time. I've noticed that Scott Co has several assistant principals that coach. Yet another position that can basically be vacated on any given day to tend to coaching duties.

I wonder if the difficulty could be the reputation that Wise has with football coaches.  
I still think that if they got a coach and admin would get out of the way Central could be a force in the area. 

On 4/2/2024 at 11:18 PM, SwvaOG said:

Hmm....if I were Union or Ridgeview, I'd be sniffing around for some athletes that are close to the district lines.  Don't let your rival's mistakes go unpunished. 

Open up the Wise County transfer portal 😂. Seriously, it’s April. 7 on 7s two months away. They’re really doing a disservice to the kids. 

20 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Over the years, it seems more coaches are getting into "flexible" positions. Ones that don't really impact students' standardized testing.

These positions allow the coaches to take care of their team responsibilities throughout the day without loss of instructional time. I've noticed that Scott Co has several assistant principals that coach. Yet another position that can basically be vacated on any given day to tend to coaching duties.

Being a school administrator at a high school is more difficult than being a teacher.