any truth that Honaker considering not playing the benefit game

HB Burke

I haven't herd anything like that. I hope not also. Even though the game isn't very competitive it's still a great gate for bothering schools and I think each team benefits equally. I don't understand all these rumors coming from Honaker. I would say up until this past off season I have never herd anything like I'm hearing. Everything wasalways kept tucked in tight like it should be until now.

I really hope this is not true also !  I always look so forward to this game.  I have so many friends and family that are either from or still live in the Honaker area...........including my wife and her family.  These 2 towns may be in different counties,  but are so close in so many ways.  A lot of families are intertwined which makes this game so important to a lot of the fans on both sides. 

I think it also helps both teams get ready for the upcoming season even though the Blues have won the majority of the games,  you know that you are going to get maximum effort from the Tigers and I respect their coaches and athletes very much ! 

I know when we play Honaker I want to see us win the game of course,  as do all of the Blues fans,  but I also know that most if not all the Richlands fans pull for the Tigers when we are not playing them.  I know when the Tigers are playing in the playoffs you will see a LOT of Richlands fans at their games pulling for the Tigers and I know I have seen a lot of Honaker fans at the our playoff games.

This game brings in so much money and I know it is one of if not The biggest gate for Honaker all year,  with the exception of maybe the Lebanon and Haysi games.

I hope this game continues !

Well that's silly. Hubbard has been around long enough to know that if you have a good player you have to be willing to give up his rights to Richlands.

Hubbard is an old biddy.  Can't blame the young man for wanting a ring.  Something he'll never get at Honaker.

Richlands isn't exactly bringing home hardware in December, either...

But who has the better shot this year, is the question. Richlands has a very high powered offense, and what is probably the best passing game in 2A. What does Honaker have? And I'm not being sarcastic, I honesty don't know what Honaker has coming back this year.

They may have p'd off the wrong coach this time.  Hubbard may have cause to be upset.  None of us know the details of how this all came about... If anything unethical went on, dang right he should be upset.

If this decision was purely by the kid and their parents and they are moving to the attendance zone, then he has no reason to be upset at all, nothing he can do about that.  If it's not on the up and up, heck yeah he should be upset, hopefully that's not the case.

Richlands is a fine 2A football program, but Honaker is also a quality 1A program.... they were in the title game just a couple of years back.

If they followed the transfer rule.... see below.... he needs to just suck it up and accept it.  The Principals at these schools need to start making sure all of these transfers back and forth around here are on the up and up, so not to get anybody in trouble. It is the Principal's responsibility to check eligibility.  Surely they thorougly check these things, don't they?

28A-7-1 TRANSFER RULE-The student shall not have enrolled in one high school and subsequently transferred to and enrolled in another high school without a corresponding change in the residence of his/her parents, parent, or guardian. Home instruction does not constitute enrollment in a public school. Home schooling is a process through which Virginia Code compulsory education requirements may be met, as is private schooling. Home schooling is the equivalent of school enrollment for Transfer Rule purposes, and determining whether the student has met Scholarship Rule requirements of having passed fi ve academic subjects recognized by the Virginia Department of Education in the most recent prior semester. Note: The provisions of the Transfer Rule apply to students transferring from one school to another, including transfers from a private school to a public school as well as transfers from one public school to another. For the purposes of this rule only, the phrase “high school†is defined as a school providing instruction at the ninth or tenth or eleventh or twelfth grade level(s).

PM 28A-7-1 (1) TRANSFER RULE/Move Requirement (1-71)-A student who moves from one school to another with no move on the part of his parents is ineligible. This student can become eligible immediately when his parents move to the zone served by the student’s new school.

26-2-2 Violators of the rules and regulations published in Sections 26 through 33 are subject to the penalties prescribed in Section 30, Penalties. Principals, coaches and sponsors are urged to study the rules carefully and to request an official interpretation from the District Committee or the Executive Director in cases of doubt.

27-8-6 Master Eligibility List: (l) The principal shall certify the eligibility of all athletic and VHSL activities contestants representing his/her school.

I don't know why he left. I won't act like I know, I was just playing around with UVAO and playing up what he was going off of. That said, I do know that he has moved into our county and into the area that feeds into Richlands. I won't say where for th privacy of the kid. So everything is good from the VHSL standpoint. He's a Blue Tornado now.

I would be very surprised if this transfer isn't on the up and up. I know a kid that recently transferred to and played for Richlands. The principal and AD at Richlands all but lived with them to make sure they were living in Richlands. The bottom line is kids like playing for Mance. Word of mouth is the best advertisement and the kids talk about how well they like playing for him. Richlands has built a program from the little league up that both the kids and parents like. Unfortunately for the rest of us our house isn't in the same shape.

Our middle school program at Graham isn't doing the high school any favors. No weight lifting or conditioning at all. No coach has been announced. I realize it's "just" middle school but this is your feeder program.

Didn't see anyone complain when Cousin came to Graham. No calls of "no loyalty" there. ;) lol

No complaints from me in either scenario.

As a fan One difference to me is that Cousin left a good program in NC to move to a place where he had family and play for an at the time, below average team. That's a little different to me than leaving Russell county to transfer to the top program in the area that's only 18 miles up the road.

To me it's hard for me to respect someone that would abandon their school and friends to go play up the road.

Didn't see anyone complain when Cousin came to Graham. No calls of "no loyalty" there. ;) lol

Mr. Cousin moved to Bluefield, VA with his mother.  If anything, Jamorya Cousin is THE most dedicated and loyal player to his teammates at Graham that I have EVER seen at that school.  That kid has the best work ethic I have ever seen at that program and I have been watching Graham for 41 years!!.  He has done nothing since he has been here but to make his other teammates inspired to be better and be more like him.  He is loyal to Graham High School and his teammates 100%  You couldn't ask for a kid that believes more in his "team".   If the kid wasn't the great football player that he is, I would still want 11 of him on my team, because of the hard work and dedication and loyalty he has for his team.  I have the utmost respect for that young man.